Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Chapman's brother in USA Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Victims » Annie Chapman » Chapman's brother in USA « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chris Scott
Chief Inspector
Username: Chris

Post Number: 696
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2003 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have been doing some census and BMD (Births, Marriages and Deaths) based research on Nichols and Chapman. I found Chapman's brother, Fountain or Fontin as he is listed in the census in 1881 without problem:
FONTIN SMITH (Son)
Born 1861 in Knightsbridge, London
Aged 20
Stationer's assistant
Unmarried

living at 29 Monpelier Road with his mother, Ruth.

However, he seemed strangely absent from the 1891 census. When I found him in 1901, this was explained. He was listed as living at 6 Reporton Road, Fulham, was by that time married with 4 children. One of these offspring, a son called George, is listed as born in the USA and was 9 at the time or census. So Fontin and his young family must have been in the US in about 1892. An elder daughter aged 12 was born in Fulham (i.e. circa 1889) and a younger son aged 3 is listed as born in Fulham (i.e. circa 1898)
So at this stage all we can say is that some time after 1889 Fontin went to the USA, was there in 1892 and returned some time before 1898.

the entry for 1901 census is below - any further news I'll let you know.
Chris

fontin

(Message edited by Chris on November 11, 2003)

(Message edited by Chris on November 11, 2003)

David w
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, November 21, 2003 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi my Great great Auntie was Annie chapman from my mothers side of the fmaily I am trying to piece together a family tree any information would hlep

Neal Shelden
Detective Sergeant
Username: Neal

Post Number: 85
Posted on Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi David,
Which one of the Smith family are you related to, Fountain?

Neal Shelden

Francis Serjeant
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, June 04, 2004 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

From Hammersmith & Fulham Archives & Local History Centre.

An archive user showed me a printout of this message board topic. I have checked the electoral register for this address and Fontin Hamilton Smith is registered between 1897 and 1902/03.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.