Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Kellys in Limerick Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Victims » Mary Jane Kelly » Kellys in Limerick « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chris Scott
Chief Inspector
Username: Chris

Post Number: 620
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2003 - 8:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Irish records are notoriously difficult to track down but there is a database called Irish Records Index, 1500-1920 whose back ground is described as: "After the fire at the Dublin Record Office in 1922, the government appealed for Irish residents to donate any copies of records they possessed. This appeal yielded a large and widely varied collection of information that the Family History Library in Salt Lake City microfilmed in the 1960s. This database is an index to these records now in possession of the Library"
I have gone through this database to look for any reords that show Kelly family members in Limerick, Mary Janes's supposed place of birth.
This search produced the list below. Anything else I find out about any person on this list I will post here:

Kelly records for Limerick

(Source Irish Records Index 1500-1920)

James Kelly 1875 Film 257842
Johanna Kelly (Widow) Toomaline, Limerick 1903 Film 595368
Michael Kelly and Mary kelly (Widowed) Athea Upper, Limerick 1905 Film 592938
Patrick Kelly and Denis Kelly Gortnagross, Limerick 1905 Film 592938
Roger Kelly and Denis Kelly Glin, Limerick 1868 Film 593642
Timothy Kelly and John Kelly Cool West, Limerick 1905 Film 592938

The records in this database can be found at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City. Films: 101011-25, 257841-3, 496361-95, 579477-8, 581925-33, 592932-44, 592952-4, 593622-49, 593653-8, 595358-70, 595937-8, and 823473-5.

Alan Sharp
Detective Sergeant
Username: Ash

Post Number: 73
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2003 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think this one may stump even you Chris. You'd have to be incredibly lucky to just hit on the right Kelly in Ireland. There's five of them just working in my office. It's probably the second most common surname in the country.

Also Irish record keeping is not the best. I worked on a project for Bank of Ireland last year trying to identify its customers, we found that personal details are pretty much random in some of the deep dark cultchie places (like Limerick!) so that the same person on five different forms can give five different spellings of their name and address and five different dates of birth.

I spoke to someone in a branch in Offaly about one of these cases and she said that quite often when someone comes in and has to fill in a form, when asked their date of birth or age they don't have a clue so the cashier will estimate their age and then put down a random date which they think would be around the right time!

Names are equally random. Even when a birth is registered (which it isn't always) this may not be the name the person uses. We found one guy who on one form called himself Mick Bridge even though his real name was something totally different. When asked why he was called Mick Bridge we were told "because he lives next to a bridge."

We also found amazing moving houses where the person at the same address would be listed in three different towns and those towns in four different counties. The whole thing is a mess and will drive you to the brink of insanity!

Chris Scott
Chief Inspector
Username: Chris

Post Number: 621
Posted on Friday, October 10, 2003 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Alan
Thanks for the warning:-)
I know Irish records of old and the pitfalls to be found in them and didnt mean to imply for one minute that any of these I listed could be fanily members for Mary jane. the most interesting thing was the place names and some work might bear fruit there in more local offices
Thanks again for the note of caution
Chris

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.