Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Mitre Square EC3 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Victims » Catherine Eddowes » Mitre Square EC3 « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through September 02, 2005AP Wolf50 9-02-05  4:25 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Apwolf

Post Number: 2461
Posted on Saturday, September 03, 2005 - 5:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Holy explosive devices!
I've just found yet another case from 1802 where Mitre Square is blown to hell and back again.
Cause as yet unknown.
However there is a print available of the square after the explosion.
They want money for it, but I always like to try and nick things first.
City of London website, Collage.

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 4920
Posted on Saturday, September 03, 2005 - 6:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is the picture. The caption reads " Part of Audley House the Priory of the Holy Trinity Mitre Court Duke's Place Aldgate, as it appeared after the Fire in...looks more like 16oo, AP

Robert

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 4921
Posted on Saturday, September 03, 2005 - 6:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Plan of property adjacent to Mitre Court, Duke's Place, Aldgate, executed 1734.

Robert

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2462
Posted on Saturday, September 03, 2005 - 6:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Robert
I don't know about 1600, the place burnt down in 1132 as well.
That seems a very long time ago.
A couple of very expensive books about the area have just been floated, so I'm picking away at them.
The passage into the square was known as 'Dark Entry' in the LVP. Kate must have known that.
I assume she must have had a date?
The priory was finally cleared out in 1874, I think it was another fire.

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 4922
Posted on Saturday, September 03, 2005 - 7:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm not sure about Kate's date, AP.

Anyway, with all those fires, they chose the right place to build a fire station.

Robert

Diana
Chief Inspector
Username: Diana

Post Number: 774
Posted on Sunday, September 04, 2005 - 12:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There was a fire station in or near Mitre Square?

Eddowes, who was killed there imitated a fire engine!

Jennifer Pegg
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 2919
Posted on Sunday, September 04, 2005 - 6:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thats a quite amazing amount of coincidences!

Jenni
"You know I'm not gonna diss you on the Internet
Cause my momma taught me better than that."

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 4926
Posted on Sunday, September 04, 2005 - 6:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, Diana, I believe there was a fire station there, and I've always assumed that Kate was imitating the engine because she'd seen it in action that evening.

I seem to remember, though, that recently when folks tried to locate the source for the fire engine imitation story, it couldn't be found!

Robert

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2463
Posted on Sunday, September 04, 2005 - 1:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Isn't the story in The Times, Robert?
I'm sure I read it there quite recently.
Mind you I read so much stuff that it could have been anywhere!
I'll check out the fire station.

David O'Flaherty
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Oberlin

Post Number: 1020
Posted on Sunday, September 04, 2005 - 2:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi A.P.,

If you know of a contemporary source for Catherine Eddowes' steamer imitation, I would be much obliged if you could point me to it! I've been looking but haven't had any success.

Thanks,
Dave

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2465
Posted on Sunday, September 04, 2005 - 4:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm jiggered if I can find it.
You could always ask this god though:

'As the tour starts, my cohorts and I seem to be viewing the events from a comfortable distance. We laugh when Rumbelow describes a victim named Catharine Eddowes, who had drunk so much the night of her death that she was seen racing around a traffic circle and imitating a fire engine ("as one does," our guide adds, his comic timing dead on). '

I mean he is making money from it so one hopes he has some sauce.

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 4937
Posted on Tuesday, September 06, 2005 - 6:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just a little coincidence that struck me :

Morris was in his counting-house. Eddowes had her nose pecked off.

("Sing a Song of Sixpence")

Robert (c/o The Funny Farm)

Richard Brian Nunweek
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Richardn

Post Number: 1456
Posted on Tuesday, September 06, 2005 - 2:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert,
How about this one.
Ride a c--k horse to Hanbury street
To see a fine lady upon a white horse.
With Rings off her fingers ,
and bells around her toes.
She shall have music wherever she goes.
Richard [ co The funny farm]

Richard Brian Nunweek
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Richardn

Post Number: 1457
Posted on Tuesday, September 06, 2005 - 4:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
Mary , Mary quite contrary.
Time to stop as it will be a a case of 'Since Tuesday I felt as i was like Mother and ......
Richard.

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 4938
Posted on Tuesday, September 06, 2005 - 4:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Richard, we'd better stop before they put us in a strait-jacket...or should that be straight-jacket....

Robert

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.