Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Nicholls/Hyde Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Victims » Mary Ann "Polly" Nichols » Nicholls/Hyde « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chris Scott
Inspector
Username: Chris

Post Number: 451
Posted on Saturday, August 30, 2003 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am currently translating an article from 1890 which describes a trip by the editor of the Pall Mall Gazette around the murder sites in Whitechapel. What has intrigued me is that in two references to the Buck's Row murder the victim is named as Hyde.
The details and heading of the article are as follows:
El Universal (Mexico)
31 October 1890

IN SEARCH OF JACK THE RIPPER
THE DISTRICT OF WHITECHAPEL
WHAT THE EDITOR OF THE PALL MALL GAZETTE SAYS

In the body of the article I found this quote:

The second crime, the murder of the Hyde woman, happened at the foot of the lengthy wall in Buck's Row, a place which is still as solitary now as it was then and in which the same wall is still as forbidding and badly lit.

and in a quote from the Pall mall gazette editor, the article contains this reference:

I found myself at one in the morning in the area of Buck's Row when my attention was attratced by a woman's cry. I ran towards Buck's Row in the direction from which the voice had come, and at about twenty metres from where the Hyde woman was murdered I found a woman stretched out

Has anyone seen Mary Nicholls referred to under this name before or know where this misinformation came from?
Many thanks
Chris

Chris Scott
Inspector

Post Number: 452
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2003 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here is the full article from which the above quotes come- might be of some interest
Chris

El Universal (Mexico)
31 October 1890

Translation

IN SEARCH OF JACK THE RIPPER
THE DISTRICT OF WHITECHAPEL
WHAT THE EDITOR OF THE PALL MALL GAZETTE SAYS

It having been announced by the English newspapers that the London police have redoubled their precautions in the Whitechapel district, the Pall Mall Gazette sent one of its editors to examine the place where there took place the series of crimes which terrified all Europe without success in capturing the killer.
The English newspaperman made his way to the place where the first crime was committed, namely, opposite the guest house in George Yard where appeared the horrible mutilated body of Martha Tabram. It is true that after the crime the police ordered a lamp to be plaved on that dark corner and that such an order has since been obeyed; but the proprietor of the inn has stated that he cannot commit himself to keeping the lamp lit all night and that they put it out at twelve o'clock. So, Martha Tabram was murdered between two and three in the morning.
That place has reumed its usual character and rarely is it that policemen pass here on their rounds.
The second crime, the murder of the Hyde woman, happened at the foot of the lengthy wall in Buck's Row, a place which is still as solitary now as it was then and in which the same wall is still as forbidding and badly lit.
Buck's Row has always had the reputation of being a dangerous place very favourable to thieves and killers and in whose neighborhood it is not wise to venture after midnight. Slowly Buck's Row has turned into a nocturnal sanctuary for homeless vagabonds, but since the exploits of Jack the Ripper began these guests have left this place. On its pavements since then the only sound that resounds is the measured tread of the patrols which have ended up forsaking those dark places. It is certain that if Jack the Ripper had the whim to return to his bloody task it would be no obstacle to him to know that a police post has been sited near there and with complete peace of mind he could do whatever he wanted. The newspaperman from the Pall Mall Gazette had the proof of this. I have here what he says:
"I found myself at one in the morning in the area of Buck's Row when my attention was attratced by a woman's cry. I ran towards Buck's Row in the direction from which the voice had come, and at about twenty metres from where the Hyde woman was murdered I found a woman stretched out, obviously drunk and with a wound on her temple that was bleeding, a wound probably caused when she fell. The woman was srying out, seized with a nervous attack. Four or five minutes passed before a policeman approached to see what was happening; he wanted to carry away the drunken woman but she resisted and began to hit the policeman. It was obvious that one man alone could not carry her; I then took out a whistle which I had acquired, I signalled but still there passed three minutes before another policeman arrived.
It is true that this was only a case of carrying away a drunken woman, but if Jack the Ripper had committed a new crime, he would have had more than enough time to escape in the eight minutes which had passed.
In Mitre Square, in which Jack perpetrated the most fearful of his murders, more effective measures have been taken to lesssen the likelihood of his making another attenpt; the patrols are much more numerous and the lighting of the square has been improved but such changes are due to the City police, not the Metropolitan.
It will be remembered that on the Sunday morning when the murder was discovered in Mitre square, there was found a little distance away, in the area of Berner Street, the body of another woman with her throat cut. There was nothing here to prevent jack the Ripper murdering undisturbed amdist deep darkness, since no one bothers to see what is happening in that place and the songs and laughter which come out from the International Club, situated nearby, would cover without any doubt the cries of the victim.
The same can be said of the house in Hambury (sic) Street, in whose yard a woman was found ripped up, since the yard is entered into and exited from through a narrow passage which is as freely open at midnight as is full daylight. Such carelessness is easy to explain: the inhabitants of these houses change from day to day and there is no watchman to ask those who enter if they have the right to be there.
In a word, and despite the claims of the hygiene commissions and the protestations of the philanthropists, most of the locations made famous by the legendary Jack the Ripper are the same as they were before.
The true reason for such a state of affairs is not to be found, in the opinion of the English newspaperman we have mentioned, in any lack of care or indifference on the part of the authorities, but in the fact that the class made up of the dipossessed and the outcasts which makes up the population of Whitechapel and St. George's, is so numerous. Those outcasts have no refuge excpet Whitechapel and they are people incapable of work, ignorant, savages born in vice in which they are steeped, who only live by fraud and robbery, and for whom the doors of even the houses of worst repute will not be opened, for they are lower even than the worst of clients. Whitechapel is their domain, through whose streets they wander the night in search of a good strike that will give them the means to eat. They know all the alleyways and byways of the district and they know at what times the police rounds are made and when they can work without any risk.
Perhaps it will happen that Jack the Ripper is captured but this will not cleanse Whitechapel where the true killer is misery.

Jeffrey Bloomfied
Detective Sergeant
Username: Mayerling

Post Number: 121
Posted on Monday, September 01, 2003 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris,

I have never heard of Polly Nichols being called
"Hyde" (although, given the current popular theatrical success of Mansfield's "Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde" that is interesting), but is it possible that "Hyde" is not a reference to a name but a town or place (even "Hyde Park").

Best wishes, and keep up the good work.

Jeff

Randy Scholl
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, August 30, 2003 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Could "the Hyde woman" be a reference to a place of origin/residence rather than her name? What is the Spanish phrase which you're rendering as "the Hyde woman"?

Debbie Brook
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris, Sometime after the murders, William Nichols moved to Hyde in Cheshire (doctor Shipman town!)with the children. I know this as a fact as I am Mary Ann Nichols great,great grandaughter. Whether either of them had any previous connection to the town I am not sure but he must have had a reason for coming here. My own mother and grandmother were both very interested in this part of our family history and my own interest has been aroused these last few years so I am just starting my own research into this part of our family history. My great grandmother was referred to as 'grandma Kit' and one of my great aunts is called Sarah so at this stage I presume 'grandma Kit' was Eliza Sarah. Hope you find this interesting, may be a coincidence but I suspect not.

Chris Scott
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 537
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Debbie
Certainly very interesting and there may be some Hyde connection there. Would be glad to send you anything I find out that might be of help
Have answered your mail and if you prefer to correspond privately on anythingn related to this please feel free to
regards
Chris

david blatt
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

what religious persuasion was dr harold shipman?

Scott Suttar
Detective Sergeant
Username: Scotty

Post Number: 89
Posted on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 3:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris,

Just doing some reading back in the archives and came across this thread. I was just wondering if Debbie Brook had conversed with you and perhaps added to our knowledge of Polly at all. I wondered if her family may have had some photos for example.
Scotty.

Triplesod
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, December 04, 2004 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmmm. I am also from Hyde and extremely intrigued by this.

Well, looks like I have found myself something to do for the next couple of weeks

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.