Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Abberline <-> Tabram Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Victims » Martha Tabram » Abberline <-> Tabram « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

esm
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 5:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

I was just wondering about Abberline’s thoughts about Tabram. According to the A – Z he was convinced Tabram being a Ripper victim. Unfortunately I can’t find the source for this statement (it is not the interview in 1902). Does anybody know where I can find it?

In which context did he come up with this statement and on which conclusions was it based?

btw: same question with Anderson

thomas schachner
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi esm,

funny thing -- i was wondering about the same thing too and already asked a lot of people.

the only thing i found out, was that probably nigel morland wrote something about it in this book. unfortunately i don't have it .-(

http://www.truecrimeink.com/images/pattomur.jpg

any help appreciated....

greetings
thomas.

Robert Charles Linford
Chief Inspector
Username: Robert

Post Number: 629
Posted on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi esm, Thomas

In the "Pall Mall Gazette" Tuesday 24 March 1903, Abberline is reported as saying : "There are many other things extremely remarkable. The fact that Klosowski when he came to reside in this country occupied a lodging in George-yard, Whitechapel-road, where the first murder was committed, is very curious..." (Sourebook Chapter 43). So it seems he's calling the murder of Tabram the first murder.

Anderson in "The Lighter Side of My Official Life" says :"The second of the crimes known as the Whitechapel murders was committed the night before I took office, and the third occurred the
night of the day on which I left London." (Sourcebook Chapter 41). If he regarded Nichols as the second victim, presumably he regarded Tabram as the first.

Robert

thomas schachner
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2003 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi robert,

that helps a lot!
thx!!!

greetings
thomas.

Martin Anderson
Police Constable
Username: Scouse

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 6:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi ESM, Robert, and Thomas,

Once again may I congratulate Stephen on this brilliant site and indeed everyone that contributes to it.

I recently discussed the likelihood of Martha Tabram (and Annie Millwood) being a ripper victim on another board which may be more suitable on this one:

"I cannot find the 1888 stats yet but in a matter of seconds I was able to trace the 1898 statistics for the whole of England and Wales from the following homeoffice website:-

http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/rds/pdfs/100years.xls

It also shows that the murder rate was 328 that year as a whole and this includes manslaughter and infanticide as well. There was 798 assaults on females and incidentally this is a lot lower than today's figures.

We must also bear in mind that these are only the RECORDED crime statistics and does not take into consideration the accuracy and consistency in recording crime which may have been better or worse than today.

What first struck me was the low number of murders compared to a modern day rate last recorded as 886 in 2002. If we consider that there were up to 20 murders in Whitechapel alone and in only 3 months, then this must have been a phenomenally high statistic. I shall continue looking for the 1888 figures in Whitechapel as I am sure these can be retrieved.

I am now considering the injuries to Martha Tabram and Annie Millwood were inflicted by the same hand especially when it is agreed that earlier victims were less mutilated, but only because the crimes were progressive."

Regards

Martin Anderson
Analyst

Martin Anderson
Police Constable
Username: Scouse

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 6:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To all,

please feel free to share your thoughts regarding the above post.

Esm,

Did you manage to find the source of Abberline's statement regarding Martha Tabram as being a ripper victim?

Happy New Year!

Martin Anderson
Analyst

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.