Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Police Record Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Victims » Catherine Eddowes » Police Record « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through September 27, 2003Shannon Christopher25 9-27-03  12:40 am
Archive through October 03, 2003Glenn L Andersson25 10-03-03  8:23 am
Archive through October 17, 2003Richard Brian Nunwee25 10-17-03  3:34 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Glenn L Andersson
Chief Inspector
Username: Glenna

Post Number: 503
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2003 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you, Richard. I must admit I was a bit puzzled over that detail, but now it makes more sense.

I don't know if either we or the police at the time could know whether she was "well known", though. She obviously had a prior conviction (and therefore did exist in the police records) and this second (?) time she gave them a false name - if they had identified her and discovered her former charge, it's doubtful if they would have let her off that easy.
But I see what you mean, she probably behaved well in custody, was considered harmless and noone though she would be able to pay a fine anyway, so that makes sense.

All the best
Glenn L Andersson
Crime historian, Sweden

Sarah Long
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2003 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glenn,

The reason I was saying people are speaking ill of her is because she may have never turned to prostitution and managed to get by in other ways. Perhaps the idea of prostituting herself was a terrible thing. I know that if it had been me I and I hadn't been a prostitute then I would hate to think that that is what people were thinking of me once I had passed on.

Richard,

Yes you are biased. First of all I have read loads and loads of yours and Leanne's posts about Barnett and to me, personnally it just seems like you said "ah Barnett, now lets find the evidence to back that one up". I haven't found anything that suggests any suspects were JTR though. I am sorry but we shall have to agree to disagree.

No disrespect meant however.

Richard Brian Nunweek
Inspector
Username: Richardn

Post Number: 319
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2003 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ah Sarah,
Yes we do suspect Barnetts involvement, in this case, and we aim to produce a good and authentic account why in our book.
The fact is Sarah , we are not saying Ah, lets do that, but we have researched. as far as it is possible, to produce the number one suspect. it is your right to agree to disagree, I respect any one that is passionate about this case.
Read the book my love, and judge for yourself.
Regards Richard.

Leanne Perry
Chief Inspector
Username: Leanne

Post Number: 776
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2003 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day Sarah,

No one is being disrespectful to anyone! In those days women who were desperate for a warm, 'safe' place to sleep, who got hungry occasionally, who wanted to wear clothes HAD to sell themselves! A woman couldn't specialize as well in any other area in those days!

As for Barnett, wait until the book comes out!

LEANNE

Monty
Inspector
Username: Monty

Post Number: 329
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 3:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sarah,

Of course you're not being rude. You're perfectly correct.

We all have different ideas and its good to come to a place where you can bounce them off each other.

Sometimes I get carried away and get straight to my point which can seem as though Im indifferent to others ideas.

Sorry.

Monty...who always smiles !!
:-)

PS Why do you assume Im a man ??

Sarah Long
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 5:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Monty,

Errr...you are a man aren't you?? I did try to make sure of your sex but your profile wasn't very helpful in that matter.

Leanne,

You say In those days women who were desperate for a warm, 'safe' place to sleep, who got hungry occasionally, who wanted to wear clothes HAD to sell themselves!

All I'm saying is that Kate may have NOT done this as she possibly found it a terrible thing to do. Imagine if lots of women did a certain thing today that you personally tried your utmost to not do as you thought the idea a vulgar one and yet after your death people presumed that you partook in these activities. How would you feel if you could look down from wherever it is you were and learn that everyone was saying you did this thing that you did NOT do and hated the thought of ever doing. There is no proof in this matter and see no point in pressing the idea that Kate was a prostitute when there is no evidence that is all I am saying.

Richard,

Yes I can agree to disagree and I do feel very strongly about this case. Personally, I still see nothing in anything you or Leanne have said in other posts about Barnett that shows him as a capable suspect. I also see this about all the other suspects though but maybe the killer isn't amoungst them. Who knows....?

Regards,

Sarah

Glenn L Andersson
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 556
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Sarah,

Regarding Monty: "I did try to make sure of your sex but your profile wasn't very helpful in that matter." I see what you mean ... Good one.

------------------------------

"All I'm saying is that Kate may have NOT done this as she possibly found it a terrible thing to do. Imagine if lots of women did a certain thing today that you personally tried your utmost to not do as you thought the idea a vulgar one and yet after your death people presumed that you partook in these activities. How would you feel if you could look down from wherever it is you were and learn that everyone was saying you did this thing that you did NOT do and hated the thought of ever doing."

Well, Sarah. I see your point, and your not the first to stress it. But then we can't look upon it with the same moral values as we have today. They lived in a different environment, and many tried their best to survive - prostitutes or not. I am not so sure they would have understood your point. And to feel so strongly about the prostitution context, is to judge those women who felt they had to do it. That is equally questionable from a moral point of view, as I see it. No offense, Sarah.

And naturally, I agree with you about Barnett...

All the best
Glenn L Andersson
Crime historian, Sweden

Richard Brian Nunweek
Inspector
Username: Richardn

Post Number: 340
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 4:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Sarah, and Glenn,
For obvious reasons Leanne and myself, have kept a lid on many points concerning Barnett, their have been many times , we have had to keep silent ,and not enter into discussions, for fear of releasing sections of the book.
I Must add that Leanne and myself although focused on him as a suspect, are not blinkered, we do view this case from all angles, we are simply forwarding him as The Number one suspect, we at this moment in time will never know the real truth because we were not around at the time.
We just want to keep him in the fray, for bias as we both our to a degree, the evidence against him is far greater then any of the other suspects put forward to date.
Regards Richard

Leanne Perry
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 792
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 4:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day Sarah,

No one is trying to blacken Catharine's memory here. I feel very sorry for those women, as I'm sure everyone here does! Imagine having to sell yourself, to place your life in a strangers hands, in order to survive.

Prostitution wasn't illegal, just 'morally-illegal', and Kate had a drinking problem that no one at the lodging house knew about. Why, because she avoided the lodging house when she was drunk, and slept in a 'shed' on Dorset Street, where she didn't have to pay!

LEANNE

Monty
Inspector

Post Number: 336
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 4:37 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sarah, Glenn,

I dont need profiles to identify my sex...it ooozes out of me.

But to put an end to this fascinating and totally unimportant point, I am indeed all man....helpful now?

Monty

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 1076
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 4:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, to judge from previous posts, if Monty turned out to be a woman, she would have to be a woman who played cricket, watched various other sports, and knew the name of just about every pub in East London!

Robert

Alan Sharp
Detective Sergeant
Username: Ash

Post Number: 118
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 5:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow, sound's great. Monty, have you considered a sex change?

Glenn L Andersson
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 562
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 6:32 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Monty!
I'm not that interested in your sex, believe me. Sarah made a funny remark, though. That's what you get for being clever on the profile page...

Robert & Alan!

Not quite my type, though...

All the best
Glenn L Andersson
Crime historian, Sweden

Glenn L Andersson
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 563
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 6:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Richard,

"For obvious reasons Leanne and myself, have kept a lid on many points concerning Barnett, their have been many times , we have had to keep silent ,and not enter into discussions, for fear of releasing sections of the book."

I know that, Richard. That must be totally frustrating. Believe me, noone is expecting you to defend the Barnett theory whenever he comes up on the boards -- that would indeed put you on the spot, with yours and Leanne's book in mind.

All the best
Glenn L Andersson
Crime historian, Sweden

Sarah Long
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 4:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Richard,

I just want to say that, just because I can't see how it was Barnett, I am not saying you are wrong. I just personally don't see it, but then I don't see how any of the suspects listed on here were JTR, that doesn't mean to say that he isn't listed on here. I look forward to your book though and you never know it may make me a believer.

Regards,

Sarah

Sarah Long
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Leanne,

I know that noone is trying to blacken her memory and believe i know about having no choice but to turn down that dark path, I'm just saying that Kate shouldn't be accused of being something that there is no evidence of.

Monty,

I'm glad you are a man.

Regards,

Sarah

Sarah Long
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No offence taken Glenn. I do believe they had different ideas about things in those days but I should imagine that people of that time also had different ideas to other people of the time, just as today. Some people today, for example, think that smoking is quite acceptable and others however do not (like me I might add), just as some people may think it is ok to sleep around (believe me, I could name a few) and others don't. If you want to keep to the same sort of line of work though then look at things such as lap dancing. We have a lap dancing club in my home town now (much to mine and many others disgust)and I happened to have met some of these girls who work there. They think it is an acceptable way to earn money and most of them are, not to be sterotypical or anything, not qualified for much else. Yet, personally I would rather starve than sell my body in ANY way. Yes I think they had different ideas but I am sure that in many ways they weren't that much different to us.

Hope any of that makes sense. I think I may have been waffling a bit too much though oh deary me....

Regards,

Sarah

Monty
Inspector

Post Number: 340
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sarah,

So am I...so am I !

Monty

Glenn L Andersson
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 567
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's OK, Sarah. If that's the case, believe me, you're not the only one... Just look at my Internet bill...!!!!!!!
(Spending so much time here with an ordinary 56k modem almost makes me a bigger lunatic than the Ripper in any case...)

All the best
Glenn L Andersson
Crime historian, Sweden

Leanne Perry
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 795
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day Glenn,

Is it possible for you to go on a payment plan where you pay the same amount each month and get unlimited axcess? I'm on such a plan and I make sure I get my money's worth!

LEANNE

Glenn L Andersson
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 570
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day Leanne (my Australian is catching on, isn't it?)

Well, I just recently had cable broad band connected to my house (which makes it possible to pay a certain amount each month for unlimited access), but the opening connecting fee is so high (plus the fact that special modems and other stuff has to be bought), that I can't afford it at the moment. But, of course, there is no doubt that I would save a lot of money in the long run, and quite quickly as well, so I'll jump at it as soon as I get the opportunity.

The slowness of a 56k modem, while one is online, is killing me as well. Take the entertaining clip-art icons, for example. The most interesting ones are on the lower half, but because of those hundreds of irritating flags in the middle section (which noone ever uses) it takes forever to load them.

Uuups, there goes another grey hair...

All the best
Glenn L Andersson
Crime historian, Sweden

Leanne Perry
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 796
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day Glenn,

Your 'Australian' is comming along nicely!

This computer is never off, with me, my father and my brother all fighting for a turn! It's on as often as the television!

LEANNE

Sarah Long
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, October 24, 2003 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well I'm glad we sorted out Monty's sex although I had my suspicions. I mean, who writes "Often" in the Sex section...a man!! Honestly!!

Err sorry my posts sound a bit all over the place at times, it is 'cause I am only an unregistered guest. Hope they are not confusing. Just wanted to apologise for that in case anyone thinks, "what the bleeding hell is she on?"

Smile!!

Sarah

Glenn L Andersson
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 574
Posted on Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Leanne,

"This computer is never off, with me, my father and my brother all fighting for a turn! It's on as often as the television!"

Well, a good thing a live alone, then. My computer is on practically around the clock as well (although only connected to the Internet on occasion), especially as my business is based at home.

---------

Sarah,

We know. We have all been there, believe me.

Regarding prostitution; well, I think we understand what we both mean, really. I just wanted to point out, that it's hard for me to look at prostitution under those conditions as a moral crime or intended as an accusation against any of them. But then I'm quite used to penetrate the lives of such women, so it's possible than one can become a bit cold about it. But nevertheless they have all my symphaties; and Eddowes I think is the one of the Ripper victims I find most charming and likable. In spite of all the sad and tragic circumstances - prostitute or not - she must have been a splendid, jolly character, and I would have given anything to see her impersonation of a fire engine. It is hard not to like her, considering she had been through a lot of hardship, had alcohol problems and ended her life in the most terrible way, But I see your point as well, Sarah.

All the best
Glenn L Andersson
Crime historian, Sweden

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.