Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

My Nightmare Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Victims » Mary Jane Kelly » My Nightmare « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

shaun devlin
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 3:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,im a part-time follower of this site.I just want to say that what i see in the kelly photograph is quite literally my worst nightmare.Since i first saw it i have had to sleep with my light on.I have studied a little bit about psychology and i am curious as to what affect it has had on others? Shaun

George Hutchinson
Chief Inspector
Username: Philip

Post Number: 897
Posted on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 8:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Shaun

The effect of the image never really leaves you though I suspect you will find most of us have seen it so often it doesn't strike us much anymore. It just shows an horrific attack. I can understand if you hadn't seen it before it could really throw you off-balance for a while.

For my part, I used to find the photo of Liz Stride the most frightening, but I presume the mortuary photograph gives her a gothic almost Nosferatu appearance.

If we are talking about worst nightmares, yesterday I was standing at the gas chambers at Auschwitz-Birkenau. I've not returned to normal yet though I am now back home 1000 miles away.

PHILIP
Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd!

Diana
Chief Inspector
Username: Diana

Post Number: 880
Posted on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 9:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sort of makes you wonder about what human nature really is like, doesn't it?

Dan Norder
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Dannorder

Post Number: 1037
Posted on Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 5:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't really have a problem with any of the Ripper photos anymore. Certain parts of them used to make me squeamish (like thinking I saw Kelly's eye staring back at me), but that's gone now. On the other hand I think a lot of it is due to the images being so poor quality and the mutilations being so messy that it's difficult to make out what's what. Logically thinking it through and realizing what the dark spot between the lower legs is is different from actually seeing it and being able to identify it right away. It becomes more of a logical puzzle than an emotional reaction.

Now, the Black Dahlia photos... :shudders:
Dan Norder, Editor
Ripper Notes: The International Journal for Ripper Studies
 Profile    Email    Dissertations    Website

Jane Coram
Chief Inspector
Username: Jcoram

Post Number: 681
Posted on Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 5:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HI,

I have to agree totally with Dan here, I feel a bit guilty saying it because it is the most appalling photograph imaginable, but all I see now when I look at any photos of crime scenes, is lines, shapes and objects, and they do not impact me at all. (Well occasionally if they are very, very extreme, but only initially, after a few minutes they become objects again) Perhaps it is my brains way of handling the unacceptable.

The other night I had a nightmare and my husband immediately said.......'Well I'm not surprised with all that stuff you look at from the casebook......' because I had been looking at MJK2 that day in detail and analysing it. What was my nightmare actually about? Going to the supermarket........which just proves that after a while, no matter how horrific a photo is, after a time you stop even seeing them as people as just as things to analyse.

I suppose it goes with the territory........after 30 years as a reconstruction artist, you must get hardened to things, which as I say is nothing to boast about, just a fact of life.

Hugs

Janie

xxxx

Helge Samuelsen
Chief Inspector
Username: Helge

Post Number: 510
Posted on Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 5:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The worst thing in MJK2 for me is the hand. You really get numb seeing all the flesh, blood and gore after a while.

But that hand keep reminding me what was once there. That this once was a woman.

That gets to me. As long as I don't look at the hand, I'm fine.

Apart from that nothing really scares me. Except the old Nosferatu movie. that one is more scary than any modern movie, regardless of costly special effects.

On the other hand I once dreamed/had a vision that I was in Millers Court, and "felt" Mary being killed. Jack was just this shadow of hatred. Now that shook me up.

Helge
"If Spock were here, he'd say that I was an irrational, illlogical human being for going on a mission like this... Sounds like fun!" -- (Kirk - Generations)

Jane Coram
Chief Inspector
Username: Jcoram

Post Number: 682
Posted on Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 7:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HI Helge,

That is so wierd, because I had exactly the same nightmare, which I have mentioned before on the boards.

I was standing by the bed and I was Jack.....I could feel exactly what he was feeling, only for an instant, but that feeling was so awful I never want to feel it again as long as I live.

You are right though, that was worse for me than any photograph.

Hugs

Janie

xxx

Richard Brian Nunweek
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Richardn

Post Number: 1609
Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 4:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All,
Just to repeat a real life creepy story , you have my word as a true ripperologist..
Back in 1975, i was at my most dedicated era for 'jack' a year or two earlier whilst in the countrys three day week that was practised throughout in the UK i really went on a dedicated hunt.
I read every article possible , visited every venue for research, wrote to every Expert that was known, at this point I must pay tribute to Colin[ Wilson] who was intriqued another to have a correspondence with me over a period of time.
I wrote a script to many newspapers including the News of the world,because I felt that Mary Kelly may have been responsible for the killings if not directly involved, had a involvement.
The News of the world showed the most intrest, and I enlightened my script.
I finally got a reject note.
I then received a letter from Colin W, stating that a amazing coincedence has happened, for his publishers had informed him that a book entitled 'The Micklemas girls' by John Brookes Barry. has been published with your theory involved. in which he considers a amazing coincedence, and would inform his publishers although 'Great Minds obviously think alike'.
I am not in a month of Sundays suggesting or accusing any soul of malpractise just relaying how passionate i was about this subject during that period.
Now for the horror story, I remember on the eve of the occurence visiting several pubs in my home town Reigate with work colleques, and whilst under a few beers went into the pub loo, and proberly whilst under the influence saying out loud internerly to myself [ [proberly because of frustration] 'give me a sign that I am right'
That night upon retiring to bed i visited the toilet in my service flat approx 350am according to my bedside clock, and returned to the bed a couple of minutes later, and snuggled down under the eiderdown as one does, within a very short space of time, definately whilst concious i experienced a animal on my neck, it seem to pass across it.
I immediately shouted out words to the effect to my wife ' whats the Bloody cat doing in the bedroom , she awoke and said she is in the locked dinning room.
In the morning the cat indeed was found locked in the dinning room.
The point of this story is even though i have stated that this was a heavily researched period of my life concering 'Jack' I had never heard of the full encounter of Mrs Prater and her cat Diddles, and as i seemed to have experiencd a similar experience that night/morning at the very same time as that experience occured some 87 years earlier i was alarmed.especialy as a few hours before i had asked privately for a sign, and i only learnt of a full description of the cat episode a year later, something i was blissfully unaware of at that time.
I Remember vididly reading that account a year later, which sent shivers through me and my wife who recalled the incident.
Is that all in the mind , if not what does it mean did i pick up a sign from Elizabeth Prater, or was it Mary confirming her time of death.
True story folks.
Regards Richard.

Glenn G. Lauritz Andersson
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Glenna

Post Number: 4286
Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 4:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I totally agree with Dan and Jane on this one. I remember when I first saw the crime scene photo from Miller's Court and I got a complete shock. Or like when I first saw crime scene photos from Jeffrey Dahmer's apartment, for example, or crime scene photos from the murders of the Vampire Killer.
At the time, though, I was rather inexperienced, and since then I have seen loads of crime scene photos that are way more explicit and visually frightening than Mary Kelly. Like Dan says, you get numb after a while and horror and disgust is more or less replaced by a more scientific reaction - good or bad.

I think what hits me harder these days are not the actual gory stuff but the psychological and emotional aspects, especially when you get into victimolgy and learns to know the person through the documents. That can make me really sad and depressed at times. The pictures that have affected me most emotionally through the years are pictures of people who have been committing suicide, and usually those pictures display a loneliness that comes through the camera lense; somehow you end up wondering what made the person do this. And it is a rather sad feeling.

But the gory stuff and a photo of a dead or mutilated body seldom affects me anymore. But then we must remember that we're talking of photos here - seeing a body of a murdered person in situe and in live and colour - like the police have to (with all the smells and other parts that goes with it) is, I suppose, completely different.

I also totally agree with Helge. Nosferatu and German 1920s expressionism rules. Every modern horror movie looks pathetic in comparison and every vampire a joke compared to Max Schreck's horryfying and extreme rat-like character Count Orlok.

All the best
G. Andersson, writer/historian
-----
"It's a BEAUTIFUL day - watch some bastard SPOIL IT."
Sign inside the Griffin Inn in Bath

c.d.
Detective Sergeant
Username: Cd

Post Number: 106
Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 5:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How fitting that vampire movies are being mentioned in this thread addressing the results of Jack's work. In the book "Dracula" by Bram Stoker, Count Dracula states that he has no choice but to do what he does. For him, to continue living means others must give up their life. I wonder if Jack felt the same way.

c.d.

Stanley D. Reid
Chief Inspector
Username: Sreid

Post Number: 638
Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 5:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

While talking about Deutsche expressionist films and Jack the Ripper. A must is Die Buechse der Pandora, the 1928 G.W. Pabst masterpiece JTR film starring the legendary Louise Brooks.

Best wishes,

Stan

Diana
Chief Inspector
Username: Diana

Post Number: 883
Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 2:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The book that horrified me the most and which I will never read again because it left me so depressed was a psychoanalysis of Jack. The author was Abrams, or Abrahamson or some such name.

Maria Giordano
Chief Inspector
Username: Mariag

Post Number: 528
Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 3:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The first time I saw the Kelly photo, in Rumbelow's book, I had to stop and try to figure out what it was. Sort of like an optical illusion. Once I realized, I was literally awed.

Now, of course, some of the horror wears off with each viewing and I find myself looking at it clinically, which is probably too bad and not good for my soul.
Mags

shaun devlin
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 3:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you George & Diana for your thoughts.I must admit everybody's nightmares are different it just so happens at this moment in time that photograph is mine.Shaun.

shaun devlin
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 3:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you George & Diana for your thoughts.I must admit everybody's nightmares are different it just so happens at this moment in time that photograph is mine.Shaun.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.