Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Nichols in 1861 census Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Victims » Mary Ann "Polly" Nichols » Nichols in 1861 census « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chris

Post Number: 1987
Posted on Monday, May 02, 2005 - 4:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Below is the entry for Mary Ann Walker (later Nichols) in 1861. This reads:
Head: Edward Walker (Widower) aged 45 born Lambeth - Smith and engraver
Children:
Edward aged 17 born Southwark - Engineer
Mary Ann aged 15 born St. Bride's, London

The address is hard to read. It is 19 <illegible> Alley. The road name is below. Any suggested readings welcome:

Maureen A
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, May 08, 2005 - 10:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Great census find for the Walker family, Chris. When I look at the way the writer has made his upper case H in the word Head, I think the street could be Harp Alley. I found a map that indicates the location of a Harp Alley north of Fleet Street, south of Stonecutter Street and to the west of Farringdon Street. Also in the area on the map is St. Bride's Church. Here is the link for the map.
http://www.ph.ucla.edu/epi/snow/1859map/earlycholeracases_harpcourt_a4.html

Neal Stubbings
Inspector
Username: Neal

Post Number: 197
Posted on Monday, May 09, 2005 - 2:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Excellent find Chris of the missing census for Mary. I agree with Maureen that it must be Harp Alley in the same area where Mary was born. It confirms the fact that Caroline had died between 1851 and 1861, and Mary's younger brother Frederick, neither death of which I was able to find many years ago.

Now that the census years are complete for Nichols, Stride and Eddowes, have you been able to find Annie Chapman's remaining census years for 1841, 1851, and 1861?

In 1861, I would expect Annie to be called "Annie Smith", and possibly living in Westminster or thereabouts? Her age should be about 20 or 21? Birthplace possibly given as Westminster, or even Knightsbridge, or Paddington?
She was not with her family at Middle Row North on the 1861 census, so I suspect she was working somewhere else?

Once again, great find.
Neal

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2006
Posted on Monday, May 09, 2005 - 5:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Neal and Maureen
Thanks for the comments:-)
The most likely entry I have found for Chapman in 1861 is as follows:
2 Duke Street, Westminster

Mary Ford aged 62 born Westminster - Servant
Annie Smith aged 21 born Westminster - Servant - Unmarried

Hope this helps
Chris

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2007
Posted on Monday, May 09, 2005 - 5:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One other possible in 1861 for Chapman under the name Eliza:
17 Cloudesley Terrace, Islington
Head: Henry Tagnes aged 50 born Switzerland - Watch escapement maker and manufacturer
Wife: Charlotte Tagnes aged 44 born Durham
Daughter: H Tagnes aged 18 born Clerkenwell
Nephew: R Respinger aged 25 born Switzerland - Silk merchant
Servant:
Eliza Smith aged 21 born London - House servant

Neal Stubbings
Inspector
Username: Neal

Post Number: 199
Posted on Tuesday, May 10, 2005 - 1:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Chris,
I think the Westminster one is probably her, unless she was working outside of London. But I think it more likely she was going to be near to where her family was living.

Thanks again.
Neal

Peter Manning
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, November 09, 2005 - 2:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello,
Polly's husband William Nichols relation was George Nichols, he married Mary Ann Cushway (Oct-Dec 1884) in Bethnal Green. Does anyone have any details on this Mary Ann Cushway. Also I read that Polly stayed with them at their lodging house possibly at 9 Leman Street in the 1880's.
The article on Polly at this website does not state this.

Maureen A
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, November 18, 2005 - 1:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Peter,
Sorry I don't have any answers for you, just more questions. How is George Nichols related to Polly's husband, William? Where did you read that Polly stayed at their lodging house? I would be interested to read about it.
Maureen

Peter Manning
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, November 21, 2005 - 3:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maureen,
I obtained the information through this website from Andy & Sue Parlour's entry.
Unfortunatly they do not seem to be contactable now.The Reg Gen index shows a marriage between George Nichols and Mary Ann Cushway in the Dec 1884 volume.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.