Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

KELLY'S BED SIGNATURE - OR THE RIPPER... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Victims » Mary Jane Kelly » KELLY'S BED SIGNATURE - OR THE RIPPERS? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

David Keating
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, March 31, 2005 - 1:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am not sure if anyone has mentioned this , so I will say it anyway.My ex girlfriend Cathy used to sign off on notes ect with a capital C and a delicate little scroll , for decoration, underneath the C. It was a nice touch.One rainy afternoon when I was browsing over the high resolution Kelly photo, something abrubtly caught my eye.I was looking at the bath tub like thing under her bed which was being disscused, when just above it , on the timber frame, I saw what I thought were just a few scratch marks on the beds frame. I looked closer on the high resolution , and was in no doubt whatsoever what I was looking at.It is a 'M' with a decorative scroll underneath it, almost exactly like one of Cathy's.

Someone has clearly signatured this bed.As Mary Kelly was only renting there, I would assume she would not be aloud to deface the property.i.e. It was not her bed. With the 'M' marked on the wall as another signature, I am thinking the ripper has signed off here aswell.Can someone who has the capability help me out.Could you print out two enlarged sections of the signature and superimpose some lines on one image to proove my claim.I dont have the technical knowhow to do it. You wont be dissapointed.

thanks, David

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chris

Post Number: 1882
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2005 - 11:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi David
I am assuming that the part you mean as being an "M with a decorative scroll" is this:
kbm

If you look at this in the sepia version of the photo and not a greyscale version, the mark you refer to is stark white, whilst all parts of the image itelf are shades of the brown-orange tones of the photo. The only other part of the sepia image which is this white is the tear which runs down across the top left. The similarity of tone of the tear and this mark strongly suggest to me that what we are looking at are surface tears on the print rather than part of the image. Of course, this could only be verified by examining the original version.
All the best
Chris

Andrew Spallek
Chief Inspector
Username: Aspallek

Post Number: 766
Posted on Saturday, April 02, 2005 - 2:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had also noticed this figure, which I considered a horned-devil or a cat-like figure. I agree that it is merely some sort of blemish on the photo.

Andy S.

Dan Norder
Chief Inspector
Username: Dannorder

Post Number: 595
Posted on Sunday, April 03, 2005 - 4:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Of the four known versions of that particular MJK photo (the standard two found in many references and the two printed in 19th century French books) the only one that mark appears on is the sepia tone version with the tear. As Chris mentioned, that tear is the only part of the photo with the same coloring. This means what we are seeing is something unique to that version of the photo and that it was not present on the actual bed frame in 1888.
Dan Norder, Editor
Ripper Notes: The International Journal for Ripper Studies
 Profile    Email    Dissertations    Website

Stuart
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, April 02, 2005 - 12:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris and David,

I have done the superficial outlining on my computer and was very surprised.Has anyone mentioned this before? The scroll is very interesting, as I have seen people do it before on signatures as a bit of showboating, to be fancy.I am very sure it is a capital M with the scroll beneath it.The trouble I am having is whether it is chiseled onto the crosssection of the bed, or someone has used a needle to scratch on the actual photo surface. Either way it is some sort of signature. It would be interesting to get to the bottom of the matter.

Thankyou, Stuart

DK
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2005 - 1:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Chris,

I did look at a version where I could plainly see the tear running down top left.From the angle I saw the marks, it genuinely looks to me as if someone has hastely cut it into the frame with a screw driver , or something similar.It does not look like a tear to me. The only other thing I am thinking is it was delicately scratched on to the photo.But it still looks suspiciously like it was put plump in the middle of the bed frame? I am wondering if tests could proove whether the marks are superficial or indeed on the beds framework?

MX
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, April 03, 2005 - 7:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Dan, Andrew or Chris,

On the second high resolution Kelly photo, the one released in 1988 anominously, I am seeing ghostly images. Before you call me a nutter, has anyone ever claimed to see these images which I am seeing. If not , then I will try to pinpoint them out for scrutinisation.

Thank - MX

Dan Norder
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 598
Posted on Tuesday, April 05, 2005 - 12:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Stuart,

I realize you wrote that before my reply and that it only shows up later because you are unregistered, but, yes, people have talked about the mark on that photo before. One of two threads I remember discussing it on is this one:
../4921/5588.html"mailto:dannorder@aol.com">Dan Norder, Editor

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chris

Post Number: 1887
Posted on Tuesday, April 05, 2005 - 2:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all
I followed Stuart's example and as near as I could outlined the white areas. I'm afraid i cannot see an M or a fancy scroll or anything but a series of random images.
Chris

mout

Andrew Spallek
Chief Inspector
Username: Aspallek

Post Number: 769
Posted on Tuesday, April 05, 2005 - 4:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

...and it was written there by the Rev. Eustace Blackerby, right?

Andy S.

Donald Souden
Inspector
Username: Supe

Post Number: 496
Posted on Tuesday, April 05, 2005 - 5:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Naturally no way to be sure lacking the original, but it sure looks to me like a scuffing and tearing of the emulsion level on the print. Happens a lot.

Don.
"He was so bad at foreign languages he needed subtitles to watch Marcel Marceau."

Stuart
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, April 05, 2005 - 11:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris Scott,

I am assuming that the instrument used to make this mark was a non precision tool like a chisel, or as DK said, a screwdriver. The mark would thus certainly no be fluid as a pen on a paper, so a little latitude might be given
Thanks, Stuart

DK
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, April 06, 2005 - 11:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HI,

I have seen the post in General Discussion on Rev Blackerby. This persons intention was to deliberately mislead. I have not done this. If it can be certified that the mark is a tear , than I concede.But I do not withdraw the fact that it looks like a signature, with or without the overlines. Thanks - DK

Dan Norder
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 607
Posted on Wednesday, April 06, 2005 - 11:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Stuart, DK...

Both of you missed that we've already proven the mark was not on the bed frame. Let me try this again.

That mark is something on the photo itself and not something that was in the room in 1888. How do we know this? Because there are three other versions of the photo of that pose and none of the rest of them have that mark. In fact if you click on the link I provided above and scroll down you will find that same section of one of the other versions of the photo (the common grayscale one) and be able to see that the mark is not on it.

Unless you assume that the photographer took more than one photo from the exact same spot and that someone put that mark on the bed frame between shots (which makes no sense) then we know that mark was not actually there at the time the photo was taken.
Dan Norder, Editor

Sandy
Sergeant
Username: Sandy

Post Number: 13
Posted on Saturday, April 16, 2005 - 10:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello everyone!
I have a question. If in fact someone purposely marked the photo, why would they do it? Not only that, but when? If the marks were actually made on purpose, it would be interesting to have these questions answered!
Sandy

Dan Norder
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 628
Posted on Sunday, April 17, 2005 - 12:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Sandy,

It doesn't look to me like a purposeful mark but some sort of blemish or tear, as Andy and Don mention above.

In fact, I have a book with a photo of that photo that shows it looking slightly different. So I would say either it's:

A) Some minor damage to the photo that sticks out three dimensionally and shows up differently under different lighting conditions are camera angles.

or

B) The image the closeup above comes from was taken after slightly more damage had been done to the original photo.
Dan Norder, Editor

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.