Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

The killer's Escape from the Yard. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » Victims » Elizabeth Stride » The killer's Escape from the Yard. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Leanne Perry
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Leanne

Post Number: 1245
Posted on Wednesday, March 17, 2004 - 6:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day,

On another board we are discussing Elizabeth Stride's killer's possible escape from Dutfield's Yard. I believe the best opportunity was for him to make a quick get-away once Deimschutz had discovered the body and ran into the club to get assistance.

A read of the 'Illustrated Police News' (6 Oct), tells me that: 'for a distance of eigteen or twenty feet from the street there is a dead wall on each side of the Club.' Which, I believe, means that there were no doors or windows near the gates. Any light came from the entrance to the club, which was further back in the yard.

That means the killer could not have hid very far from the gate. I believe it very possible that he hid behind the open gate and waited for the first opportunity to escape once Deimshutz was inside. He was just very lucky that he wasn't seen.

Others believe he climbed over the fence, but that would have been a very risky act.

LEANNE

Eric Smith
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 2:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Leanne,
If you're familiar with the Zodiac killer in California, he was fleeing a shooting of a cab driver and was actually stopped by the cops and briefly questioned. Had the police had an accurate description of the shooter, the Zodiac killer would probably be known today.
With that said, if JTR was in the yard, (which I think he was) then all he had to do once Diemshultz ran inside is stroll out the yard and around the nearby corner. As soon as he saw that no one was around, he could "beat feet" out of the area. I suspect that is exactly what he did. Even if he was seen by someone, he could still casually walk away before the news even made it down the street.

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Apwolf

Post Number: 2900
Posted on Friday, December 02, 2005 - 1:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

On this subject, Sam Hudson in 'Leather Apron' mentions the finding of a bloody shirt at number 22 Batty Street on the night, and then very cleverly postulates that the killer could have made an easy escape by crossing a yard and delving into a passage bringing him to 22 Batty Street.
Hudson appears to have done his groundwork here so I would strongly suggest that folk should read his thoughts.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.