Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Top Ten "If Onlys" Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Top Ten "If Onlys" « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Edgar Hadley
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2004 - 6:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

I thought I would create this light hearted thread with the sole purpose of
venting some of the frustrations the Ripper case causes us with its all too abundant missing information
and dead end lines of investigation.

So here is my top ten "If onlys":

1.If only we knew Mary Kelly's real name

2.If only Caroline Maxwell had been taken to view Mary Kelly's corpse.

3.If only Israel Schwartz hadn't run off.

4.If only we knew why Walter Dew's description of MJK was nothing like
that of the body found in Millers court.

5.if only we knew whether Caroline Maxwell ever saw the same "Mary Kelly" after
The inquest.

6.If only Victorian streets had been better lit.

7.If only Polly Nichols had been satisfied with earning her "Doss money" just once.

8.If only we had Photographs of more of the Victims,taken before they were killed.

9.If only Dave hadn't stopped his wife from borrowing MJK'S shawl.

10.If only Albert Cadoche had taken a look over the fence.

Ahhhh well....

Edgar

Andrew Spallek
Inspector
Username: Aspallek

Post Number: 396
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 1:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not ranked in strict order, but:

1. If only Cadosh had looked over the fence.

2. If only Lewande had got a better look and were willing to testify.

3. If only the police had photographed the graffito.

4. If only Diemschultz were two minutes earlier.

5. If only Charles Cross were 10 minutes earlier.

6. If only PC Watkins were 5 minutes quicker on his rounds.

7. If only someone had investigated Mary Kelly's cry of "Oh, murder!"

8. If only fingerprint evidence were accepted in 1888.

9. If only we knew for certain who was identified by whom at he "Seaside Home."

10. If only we knew for sure what was bugging Druitt so much that he committed suicide when he did.

Andy S.

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 2120
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 3:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just one. If only Cornwell had been alive in 1888 to solve the case. Then she'd be dead now.

Hm! I think I still need a few more words.....

Robert

Richard Brian Nunweek
Chief Inspector
Username: Richardn

Post Number: 704
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 3:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Robert,
Thats cruel, she is only guilty of free enterprise
If only Kelly could tell me , i have been a silly boy ,for the past thirty years, thinking her boyfriend killed her.
Richard.

Chris Michetti
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 4:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

1. If only Mary Miniter's description of "C. Kniclo" was trustable/accurate...

2. If only the police had kept Eddowes overnight at the station.

3. If only the top floor of the East River Hotel didn't have a way out.

4. If only we could read a few more letters on that ripped envelope.

5. If only we knew for certain which killings were done by him and which weren't.

That's all I can think of, have a nice day :-)

remoter
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 4:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

if only jack's relations with family of victim would not have made the crime (a coverup decoy )necessary;and if only victims job with royalty had been suspected.

Mark Andrew Pardoe
Inspector
Username: Picapica

Post Number: 204
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 5:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Whatho all,

If only Jack hadn't bought a knife and taken up stamp collecting instead.

About what would we be writing?

Cheers, Mark

Another three words

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 2122
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 5:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Mark

We'd be asking "Who disembowelled Eddowes with a letter opener?"

Or then again, maybe we wouldn't, seeing as how I need another fourteen words.

Robert

Sarah Long
Chief Inspector
Username: Sarah

Post Number: 669
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 4:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There's only one "if only" I can think of that sums up all the others.

If only we knew who Jack the Ripper was.

Short and sweet.

Sarah

Jason Scott Mullins
Detective Sergeant
Username: Crix0r

Post Number: 111
Posted on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 1:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

1) If only we could place the time of death more accurately for some of the victims.
2) If only we knew more about the victims and their relatives. Also, where they were on the dates in question.
3) If only records didn't go missing. This still bothers me to the nth degree.
4) If only I could get a unified theory of everything and then build a time machine.
5) If only the people who knew something came forward. The truth, shall set you free!!

I think that's about it for me. Coming in a little late, all the good ones have been taken :-)

crix0r

Michael Raney
Detective Sergeant
Username: Mikey559

Post Number: 112
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 1:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jason,

You had mine! "If only the people that knew something came forward." that is my one and only what if. But I need more words.

Mikey

Jason Scott Mullins
Detective Sergeant
Username: Crix0r

Post Number: 118
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 2:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Michael -

Yeah. I know it isn't a popular opinion but I just don't see this guy walking away with out someone seeing him, hearing him, or knowing what he was up to. This topic, however, is for another thread. Perhaps I should create one?

crix0r

Erin Sigler
Police Constable
Username: Rapunzel676

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 3:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Everyone has already said the ones I would have suggested. I think the loss (not to mention destruction) of so many potentially crucial documents and other pieces of evidence (the piece of Eddowes' apron, the GSG) is the greatest difficulty I've encountered with this case. I'd also have to include the unwillingness of the police to try new methods that were available to them at the time, particularly photography, fingerprinting, and the dogs. Finally, I wish that those in positions of authority in the case had been chosen not on breeding but on merit. If that had been the case, chances are this web site wouldn't exist.

Peter Sipka
Sergeant
Username: Peter

Post Number: 13
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 12:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Didn't see anybody say this:

1) If only we knew who Jack the Ripper was

Peter

Pippa Moran
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 4:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Peter said:
"If only we knew who Jack the Ripper was"

(*delurks*)

Oh, no. That should be the last thing we want. The Ripper would become trapped in the realm of facts, and we'd be denied the freedom to speculate and find our own personal Rippers which match our own personal likes, dislikes and tastes.

There are already too many facts being imposed on us in the world as it is. Let's make make life worse by dragging them into the Ripper case too.

A. Bunker
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, May 30, 2004 - 3:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If only photography had been more advanced in 1888.

If only all police officers involved wrote extensivly on the Ripper investigation and all documents, photographs, and memoirs survived.

If only a photograph of Kosminski existed.

If only a genuine diary could be found.

If only the Lusk kidney was preserved to this day.

If only we knew what the "private information" was from Druitt's family.

If only some physical evidence would have been discovered (like the murder weapon, the killer's gloves, or a bloody footprint).

If only the eyewitness discriptions matched.

If only the two police departments weren't rivals.

If only I could crack the case, write a book, and get rich.

A. Bunker
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, May 30, 2004 - 3:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If only photography had been more advanced in 1888.

If only all police officers involved wrote extensivly on the Ripper investigation and all documents, photographs, and memoirs survived.

If only a photograph of Kosminski existed.

If only a genuine diary could be found.

If only the Lusk kidney was preserved to this day.

If only we knew what the "private information" was from Druitt's family.

If only some physical evidence would have been discovered (like the murder weapon, the killer's gloves, or a bloody footprint).

If only the eyewitness discriptions matched.

If only the two police departments weren't rivals.

If only I could crack the case, write a book, and get rich.

Busy Beaver
Sergeant
Username: Busy

Post Number: 46
Posted on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 7:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My top 10 "If Only"'s

1) If only Caroline Maxwell saw MJK's Body
2) If only Mrs Pickett went to stop MJK singing
3) If only witnesses told the truth
4) If only Catherine Eddowes went to the police about her suspicions
5) If only The police constables were a bit quicker on their beats
6) If only Albert Cadosh looked over the fence
7) If only Joe Barnett provided a more substantial alibi on the night of Thursday 8th.
8) If only they used the Bloodhounds
9) If only police records did not go missing
10)If only Sarah Lewis saw MJK and the mystery (Hutch's) man.

Busy Beaver

Jeffrey Bloomfied
Inspector
Username: Mayerling

Post Number: 413
Posted on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 8:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If only...
1) Some document turned up showing Deeming and Cream knew each other and gave each other alibis.
2) Lewis Carroll left an unpublished manuscript decrypting his various word games and showing he was busy with some logic problems on the nights of the Whitechapel Murders.
3) Florence Maybrick left a package of documents with her lawyer, Sir Charles Russell, suggesting that there was a conspiracy involving Mr. Justice Stephen, his son James Kenneth, and Sir William Gull to pin the Whitechapel Murders on her husband Jim.
4) George Chapman confided to some friend that the only thing he did not understand was why some young street urchin he gave a glass of water to pretended to drink it but ran off (it was Charlie Chaplin, supposedly).
5) Sir Charles Warren carried an instamatic with him to photograph graffiti he came across.
6) Elizabeth Stride had decided to remain in Sweden.
7) Sir Robert Anderson had a less stringent standard about not revealing important details about police activities he was privy to, when he wrote about them.
8) Monty Druitt's last week of existance was better known to us.
9) Somebody asked Tumblety what he did know about Lincoln's Assassination
10)We knew more about Mary Kelly's family and background.

Jeff Bloomfield

Tiddley boyar
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 1:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If only I had a time machine.......
....a twisted mind .....a big gun.
I only have one of the items unfortunately.
What games I could have with Jack.

Still dream on, it's back to the time machine I suppose.

ex PFC Wintergreen
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, March 02, 2005 - 9:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Top ten if only’s.

1. If only Jack the Ripper had taken photos of himself cutting up his victims while pulling the fingers or pointing to certain bits of them like in the recent Iraqi molestation affair.

2. If only every suspect that wasn't Jack the Ripper had written a biography of themselves that was corroborated by every member of every police force, and their families and their families friends.

3. If only Sickert was born in a different country altogether and spent all his life in a Spanish prison so no one could ever possibly suggest he's a viable suspect and the Moronic, sorry I mean Masonic plot could never be born.

4. If only Jack the Ripper accidentally sliced his hand off whilst unlocking Mary Kelly's door through the window.

5. If only Jack the Ripper accidentally engraved his signature into one of his victims.

6. If only one of the inhabitants surrounding the back of 29 Hanbury street put their head out the window and shouted "Oi, keep that noise down out there, some of us are trying to sleep!"

7. If only on the 29th of September Jack the Ripper had his pockets crammed with M&Ms and that they trickled out of his pocket throughout the night leaving a trail of where he had been, proving whether or not he killed Stride or wrote the graffiti.

8. If only the photographer was successful is capturing the Ripper's image from Mary Kelly's eyeballs.

9. If only instead of running off, Israel Schwartz had walked menacingly up to the assailants saying "Allo, allo, allo, what's all this then?"

10. If only whilst leaving Kelly's apartment Jack walked into the bedside table, tripped over it, flew across the room, breasts and bowels a-flying, fell teeth first into a wall and was discovered the next morning unconscious with a knife in his hand and a smile on his face.

ex PFC Wintergreen
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, February 27, 2005 - 8:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

IF ONLY:

1. Jack the Ripper had taken photos of himself cutting up his victims while pulling the fingers or pointing to certain bits of them like in the recent Iraqi molestation affair.

2. Every suspect that wasn't Jack the Ripper had written a biography of themselves that was corroborated by every member of every police force, and their familes and their families friends.

3. Sickert was born in a different country altogether and spent all his life in a Spanish prison so no one could ever possibly suggest he's a viable suspect and the Moronic, sorry I mean Masonic plot could never be born.

4. Jack the Ripper accidentally sliced his hand off whilst unlocking Mary Kelly's door through the window.

5. Jack the Ripper accidentally engraved his signature into one of his victims.

6. One of the inhabitants surrounding the back of 29 Hanbury street put their head out the window and shouted "Oi, keep that bloody noise down out there, some of us are trying to sleep!"

7. On the 29th of September Jack the Ripper had his pockets crammed with M&Ms and that they trickled out of his pocket throughout the night leaving a trail of where he had been, proving whether or not he killed Stride or wrote the grafitti.

8. The photographer was sucessful is capturing the Ripper's image from Mary Kelly's eyeballs.

9. If instead of running off, Israel Schwartz had walked menacingly up to the assailants saying "Allo, allo, allo, what's all this then?"

And finally,

10. Whilst leaving Kelly's apartment Jack walked into the bedside table, tripped over it, flew across the room, breasts and bowels a-flying, fell teeth first into a wall and was discovered the next morning unconcious with a knife in his hand and a smile on his face.

Stuart
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, April 16, 2005 - 6:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

1. If only Chapmans, Strides and Eddows rings or other person belongings were ever found and could be traced.

2. If only Swartz had had the guts to punch the Sh*t out of the man he saw assaulting Stride. He would have saved Stride, Eddow's and Kelly and caught the ripper. I would not have thought twice about it.

3. If only the Maybrick diary was real

4. If only the best evidence ( Eddows apron and kidney, Lusk letter, original reports ect) didnt happen to just coincidently vanish.Hmmmmmm.

5. If only a witness came foward and saw the ripper after the murder fleeing the seen - they all saw him only before the murders.

6. If only Pat Cornwall new the difference between fiction and reality.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.