Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Just Like The Beltway Sniper Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Just Like The Beltway Sniper « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ediel
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2004 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, I'm new here.

I was watching the Discovery Channel special on Jack The Ripper and I became interested. I am an amateur mystery writer so I find the subject very fascinating.

I was looking over the interactive map on this site of the murders and found a pattern that resembled the recent sniper shootings in the Washington, DC area. It seems to me that Jack The Ripper did not know the area very well because of the fact every canonical victim was murdered near a main road. An easy escape maybe? It is much like the DC sniper who “worked” near the main roads for an easy getaway and who, as we all know, was caught in a Maryland reststop. It is my opinion that the Jack The Ripper was not familiar with White Chapel because he was not from there.

Joseph Paul Jackson
Police Constable
Username: Paulj

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2004 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello and welcome to the casebook. I have been studying the case for about 4 yrs now and it is very intriguing. In regards to your feeling that the killer wasnt local...Whitechapel is a very small district and there are few places that arent close to the "main roads". It would have been comparable to downtown Tokyo in that about a million people lived within a few square miles of each other. There were very few places that were not crowded with people...even at 3:00 in the morning.

Catherine Eddowes was killed in a place that was "out of the way". Not too many people traveled through the church passage in mitre square at 1:30 am. It was very dark there too.

Mary Jane Kelly was killed inside her place, so we can exclude that.

Polly Nichols was killed in Bucks Row..which is not a main thouroughfare...there were empty buildings and apts there..but it was almost 4 in the morning and very dark because of the lack of streetlamps.

Annie chapman is a little different...The ripper was taking a chance here...The sun had already come up and people were about, but he killed here in a backyard that was fenced in...but there were people inside apparently sleeping, so he did take a big risk.

with Stride, Berner Street is not a busy street...Liz Stride was killed in a pitch dark gated cul-de-sac on the side of a building where a meeting was being held. Ballsy? maybe...

I think the ripper was a killer of opportunity. He had to go where the hookers hung out to find one. They led him to a place where they took usual johns to have sex. Relatively dark and as remote as you could get in whitechapel.

I hope I havent rambled too much. The ripper could very well have been from "out of town"...but I think he was quite familiar with Whitechapel. Anyway I hope that helped a little...One word of advice....Get a factual Ripper book first...Phillip Sugden's The Complete History of Jack the Ripper is a great one. There are several others as well. The theories that some people post on the message boards can be kinda far out. Interesting, but a little far out. Welcome to the boards.

Paul

Ediel
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2004 - 12:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If I’m wrong, forgive my naiveté. I’m new to this.

Your points are well taken but what I was trying to convey was this:

The Ripper needed to leave in a hurry. He wouldn’t have wanted to back himself into a corner, becoming trapped. He was always mindful of a quick getaway, which was always no more than three blocks away. Like the beltway sniper, the “dirty deed” was done near a main thoroughfare or interstate highway. With this strategy, it is possible to be miles away after a body is discovered.

Yes. Except for Mary Jane Kelly. But yet, all roads lead to White Chapel Road.

Joseph Paul Jackson
Police Constable
Username: Paulj

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2004 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, that is true. I wasnt trying to discredit your theory, I was just saying that the ripper was probably pretty familiar with the area. But You do make a good point. Have a good day.

Paul

Christopher T George
Chief Inspector
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 609
Posted on Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Ediel

You actually make a good point that the murders were near some of the main thoroughfares or at least were in places that usually offered a number of different ways to escape. However, any comparison to the Washington, D.C. sniper case must be very inexact surely.

Ediel, I don't mean to deprecate what you are saying but we do need to consider the reality of the case in 1888. Our Jack would have been most probably on foot or at the most, perhaps, had horse transport nearby (although there exists no evidence that he had a horse or carriage despite Hollywood movie depictions of such), so the modern example of having a car to enable escape within minutes to another jurisdiction by interstate is far removed from the actuality of 1888.

Best regards

Chris George

Ediel
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, February 21, 2004 - 12:02 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You make a very good point, Chris George.

Though, it still stands to reason that either on foot or on wheels, there was always the quick exit.

Now, I'm not familiar too much with the details but it looks like to me, by the close proximity to the main thoroughfares, that Jack solicited or was solicited on the main roads. Soon afterward, both parties headed to a dark place nearby where the murders ended up being committed. My opinion.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.