Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Northampton Connections to the Ripper... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Northampton Connections to the Ripper Case « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

D.Neal
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2004 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi

I am currently working on a project to establish as may links between the Ripper case and my home Town of Northampton, England. So far I have found the following:

1. FRANCIS MALLARD - A recently proposed suspect, who was a Whitechapel Butcher was born in Northampton.

2. J K STEPHEN - Died in St Andrew's Hospital Northampton.

3. JOSEPH MERRICK - Spent a holiday in Northampton.

4. CAMDEN TOWN MURDER -Mrs Shaw the mother of Bertram Shaw who was Emily Dimmocks common law husband, travelled from her home in Northampton to London on the day that Emily's body was discovered.

5. ALAN MOORE - The writer of 'From Hell' lives in Northampton. In fact I often see Mr Moore walking around the town or in my local supermarket, and I used to work with his sister-in law.

6. PINCHIN STREET TORSO - A newspaper 'The Morning Advertiser' reported a possible identification of the Pinchin Street victim as being Emily Barker of Northampton.

If anyone knows of any Ripper related newspaper articles from Northampton or any Ripper letters that were postmarked Northampton, it would be great to here from you.

Or anything else to do with Northampton connections.

Regards

D.Neal

Chris Scott
Chief Inspector
Username: Chris

Post Number: 863
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 3:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi D.Neal
I posted elsewhere on the boards an article from a Spanish language newspaper that may be of use:

El Tiempo
30 October 1889
(Translation)

Jack the Ripper

The parents of the young woman most recently murdered in London by Jack the Ripper have come forward to the police stating that the victim was named Emily Barker, from Northampton, and that they have no doubt that it was their daughter.
They said she was leading an unsettled life and that not long ago she was taken off the street, half naked, by an Anglican priest. She stayed with him a short while and a few days after she left his house the other Whitechapel crime occurred. The mother of the young woman says that, among other details, she recognized the most recent victim as her daughter because she had made the shirt that she was wearing and also by a mark that she had on one finger of the right hand. The Northampton police have collaborated with the London police to further their investigations and capture the mysterious killer.
On the 6th October, a letter was received at the Press Association, the envelope of which was inscribed in a different hand from the letter which was worded as follows:
"Dear Editor, I hope to continue my work on Tuesday or Wednesday; say nothing to the police. Jack the Ripper."
The signature was underlined in a different colour.

Just as an aside I did some work some time back on Francis Mallard - the only one I could find who was a butcher was in the 1891 London census but he is listed as born in St Clement Danes, London (see below)

Hope this helps
Chris
mall

D Neal
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 8:37 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris

Thanks very much for the your recent post. It was very interesting and also for the info on Francis Mallard , I must admit when I have tried to research him I haven't been very successful.

Kind Regards

D.Neal

Jeffrey Bloomfied
Inspector
Username: Mayerling

Post Number: 278
Posted on Sunday, February 15, 2004 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear Mr. Neal,

You might give a passing glance at the 1892 murder of Anne Pritchard by Andrew McRae (or M'Rae)in Northamptonshire. I have recently acquired a copy of Guy B.H.Logan's DRAMAS OF THE DOCK, which has a chapter on this case. It is very strangely like the Henry Wainwright - Harriet Lane Murder I wrote about in THE RIPPEROLOGIST last year, and is of interest to us, because when the torso of Anne was found, it was suggested (at first) that she had been the victim of Jack the Ripper.

Best wishes,

Jeff

Liza
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2004 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi
If it's any help J K Stephen went to school (junior) at Thorpe Mandeville in Northamptonshire.
The school building is still there (or was the last time I looked!)
Best wishes
Liza

Andy and Sue Parlour
Detective Sergeant
Username: Tenbells

Post Number: 87
Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2004 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello D. Neal,

With regard to J.K.Stephen. Sue and I have probably done more on the Stephen family than any other writers. You are welcome to contact us on:

Asptenbells@aol.com

Yours

Andy Parlour

Mara
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How long did it take to travel from London to Northampton in those days?

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.