Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Sights of Interest? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Sights of Interest? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Andrew Spallek
Inspector
Username: Aspallek

Post Number: 347
Posted on Saturday, January 24, 2004 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello folks!

As I've mentioned on another thread, I'm planning a short visit to London in March. I'd appreciate some suggestions as to Ripper-related sights that can be seen quickly, i.e. no great distances and no great amount of searching required. I've done the East End a number of times, so I'd like to concentrate on other areas. As always, I'll have an "all zones" Tube pass.

Graves? I've already seen Nicholls and Eddowes markers. Stride, Kelly, suspects???

Other sights in and around London related to JtR?

Oh, bear in mind that my wife and children we be accompanying me (great airfare, US$450 return from St. Louis). Also, general suggestions on what the kids would like to do would be appreciated (they've never been to London).

Thanks --

Andy S.

Natalie Severn
Inspector
Username: Severn

Post Number: 232
Posted on Saturday, January 24, 2004 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Andrew,just off the top of my head;
The Tower of London and just beside it All hallows by the Tower from whose balcony Pepys watched the fire spread across London[church].
Somerset House not far from the Tower but you need to get the tube to Embankment]there is a lovely view of the River from the terrace which is also a cafe.Historical too with links to Nelson and it was where all our records were until fairly recently.Covent gGarden is only a short distance and full of interesting goings on -the kids love it!
You should try to get a boat trip from Westminster Bridge to Greenwich or the Tower.You"ll see many of the sights from there including the London Eye and the new pedestrian bridge.If i think of some more near each other I"ll post them --right now I"m on a borrowed computer and have only about ten minutes left1 Best Natalie

Natalie Severn
Inspector

Post Number: 233
Posted on Saturday, January 24, 2004 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry andrew I didnt read your post carefully enough! anyway those are interesting sights and just next to Somerset House are theInns of Court-fascinating -and the Norman church inside houses efigies of the original Knights of the Templarintact from the 12th or 13th century.Druitt"s chambers are nearby in Bench Walk.best Natalie

Andrew Spallek
Inspector
Username: Aspallek

Post Number: 348
Posted on Saturday, January 24, 2004 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Natalie. No need to apologize. I'm also looking for general sights of interests, especially for the kids. Actually, I'm going to try to talk them out of the Tower since it's so pricey and I've never found it all that interesting! The boat trip is a good idea! My 13-year-old daughter wants to see the Globe and I've always heard Southwark Cathedral is worth the visit, though I've not done so myself.

Anyone else with other Ripper-related sights?

Andy S.

Natalie Severn
Inspector

Post Number: 235
Posted on Saturday, January 24, 2004 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Andrew yes the Globe is really good with all sorts for everyone and Southwark Cathedral I looked at it today actually! The Clink prison is nearby the lovely ruin of Winchester house, Southwark cathedral is beautiful!This is allnear the tate modern too in case you are interested with St Pauls just across the river and now reachable by using the new foot bridge,You can also take the ferry from the Tate modern to the tate Britain now [if you like that sort of thing]
the ferry is right outside the Globe theatre. Natalie

Mark Andrew Pardoe
Inspector
Username: Picapica

Post Number: 183
Posted on Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Whatho Andrew.

Never found the Tower interesting?! There's a nice wooden block and an axe waiting for the likes of you.

Cheers, Mark (the man in the black hood with a sharpening stone)

Caroline Anne Morris
Chief Inspector
Username: Caz

Post Number: 675
Posted on Monday, January 26, 2004 - 7:32 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Andrew,

The kids (particularly the 13 year-old) might enjoy the London Dungeon, a stone’s throw from London Bridge Station.

Also, look out for any special exhibitions going on at the various museums (South Kensington Tube) while you’re over here. And the Science Museum is always a favourite with kids.

I agree with Nat about Covent Garden – something for all ages there. You can take rickshaw rides too!

I’d make sure your ‘all zone’ passes cover buses as well as the Tube. In central London you have to get bus tickets in advance now, they won’t take cash on board any more.

Love,

Caz

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.