Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Ripper Play Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Ripper Play « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kris Law
Detective Sergeant
Username: Kris

Post Number: 86
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2004 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello All,

I just saw a new play about Jack last night titled "Dear Boss". It was very strange, it only had three actors, and much of the play was performed by puppets.

Yes, puppets.

This gave the play an added sense of the surreal, which was neccessary as there was quite a bit of humour in the play. More than I expected in a play about the Ripper.

What I really liked, though, was how the playwrite wove many suspects into the play, for instance the main character (while fictional) was clearly the Batty Street lodger, and living above him was Tumblety. He was trying to solve the case with his sidekick Joseph Merrick the Elephant Man (not quite as weird as it sounds. Ok, yes it is.) and encountered William Gull, Madame Blavatsky among others. Lots of Lewis Carrol was added to the mix as well, although there wasn't much mention of him as a suspect thankfully.

Mary Kelly was the only victim actually portrayed by an actor, all others were puppets, which made for exceedingly creepy scenes, as Jack was portrayed with a skull face, like the famous etching of Mary Kelly and he entering 13 Miller's Court.

I won't ruin it by saying who the killer turns out to be in the end. Just in case anyone living in Toronto should read this before the play ends its run. BUT, if anyone is actually interested to know who doesn't live in the Toronto Canada area, feel free to send me a message, I will be more than happy to let you in.

Christopher T George
Chief Inspector
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 571
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2004 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, all--

Thanks for this Kris. Very interesting! I did know about the play but it is interesting to get feedback on how it actually is.

On another front, does anything know about the status of the musical "Jack the Ripper" by Mary and Regan Ryzuk?

I have e-mailed a couple of people about the musical, which it was said earlier would be opening in London in Spring. Since there is nothing new on their website about details of the show opening soon, I have to assume it may not be going to do so. Nor could I find anything on the web in terms of any press release or upcoming opening shows announcements, so I have to assume they have hit a hitch.

All the best

Chris

Suzi Hanney
Chief Inspector
Username: Suzi

Post Number: 885
Posted on Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kris!!! Coming to Toronto in August!!!! Tell me more!!!!
Love Suzi xx

East Ender
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am a cast member in the Ryzuks' production of Jack the Ripper in Montville, NJ. The project is still going strong, we close tonight.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.