Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

In Honor of the Victims Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » In Honor of the Victims « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Diana
Inspector
Username: Diana

Post Number: 193
Posted on Wednesday, December 24, 2003 - 10:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The latest craze in murder fiction is to include recipes in the novels. I suppose I thought of this because I am in the midst of my Christmas baking. As a rather humble way to honor the victims how about a set of recipes?

Polly Nichols: Some kind of cookie called "Jolly Bonnets"

Annie Chapman: cookies with a hole in the middle or possibly donuts or bagels and call it "Brass Rings"

Elizabeth Stride: "Green Velvet Salad" (some kind of jello thing with grapes in it)

Katharine Eddowes: a candy called "Pawned Boots"

Mary Kelly: "Violet Cake"

I know it sounds a little silly but it really is not tongue in cheek. Of course those of us who cook would have to develop and post the recipes.
It would be a very low key and simple way to honor the victims.

Diana
Inspector

Post Number: 205
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2003 - 7:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In honor of Elizabeth Stride: Green Velvet Salad

The night before she died Elizabeth left a large piece of green velvet with a friend.

1 cup halved seedless green grapes
1 ripe avocado
1 3 oz package lime jello
1/2 cup boiling water
1 1/4 cups whipped topping

Peel avocado, remove stone, and puree in food processor. Place puree in 2 cup liquid measure and add enough whipped topping to make 1 1/2 cups. Fold together. In a separate bowl mix jello and water until completely dissolved. Fold in avocado mixture. Chill till partially set. Fold in grapes. Allow to completely set.

Natalie Severn
Detective Sergeant
Username: Severn

Post Number: 140
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2003 - 7:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Diana.I must say I"m a bit at a loss about these cakes and Jellies etc.It would seem to trivialise their deaths and memories rather than honouring them although I dont doubt your sincerity in what you propose.Maybe a test would be if you would find this something you would want for a loved one or for yourself-I dont really know how much customs vary between us
but in England its not usual.
Regards Natalie.

Diana
Inspector

Post Number: 206
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2003 - 7:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It isn't usual in America either. I admit to being somewhat of an individualist.

Diana
Inspector

Post Number: 207
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2003 - 7:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've had a night to think about this. About 200 years ago a man had a daughter named Sally. When he had developed a particularly good bread recipe he named it after her. Today we still have Sally Lunn bread. On the fourth of July it is not at all unusual to bake Red White and Blue cake in honor of the American flag. I believe the peppermint candy cane was developed with some symbolism to honor the birth of Christ.

Natalie Severn
Detective Sergeant
Username: Severn

Post Number: 141
Posted on Monday, December 29, 2003 - 12:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Diana,Then there isnt any problem.I think customs do vary slighly-for example we dont have "shower cakes" to celebrate pregnancy and such like[if some do its very recent].
All the Best Natalie.

Bullwinkle
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 10:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Scotts already have a suitable dish--its called haggis.

Bullwinkle

Diana
Inspector

Post Number: 226
Posted on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 7:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In honor of Polly Nichols: Jolly Bonnets

On her last night on earth a "Jolly Bonnet" brought Polly some joy.

3 Cups flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp cloves
1 tsp ginger
1/2 cup dark brown sugar (packed)
1/2 cup melted shortening (I used butter)
3/4 cup molasses
1 large egg
about 3 dozen pecan halves
1 tube white or red icing

Set aside melted shortening to cool. Sift together the first six ingredients and set aside.
Blend molasses, and brown sugar into egg beating thoroughly. When you are sure melted shortening has reached room temperature add to egg mixture and mix thoroughly. Beat in dry ingredients gradually. Chill in refrigerator two hours.

Spray surface and rolling pin with cooking oil. Roll out a little at a time. If it gets warm it will have to be rechilled. Roll very thin, less than 1/4 inch. Use a drinking glass to cut cookies. When you put them on the greased cookie sheet put down a pecan half under each one. Form the dough over the pecan to create the crown of the hat.

Bake in a 325 degree fahrenheit oven for 5-7 minutes. When cool use tube of icing to make a ribbon around the base of the crown, with two trailing ends.

Caroline Anne Morris
Chief Inspector
Username: Caz

Post Number: 584
Posted on Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 6:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi David,

Congrats for making me laugh myself silly for the first time in 2004.

Love,

Caz

Diana
Inspector

Post Number: 236
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 8:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In honor of Annie Chapman: Brass Rings (soft pretzels)

Annie still cared about looking pretty. She kept her rings as long as she could.

3 cups bread flour
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 tablespoon bread machine yeast or a packet of quick rising yeast
2 tablespoons of butter
1 cup warm water
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 egg beaten and mixed with 1/4 cup water
parmesan cheese
kosher coarse ground salt

Bread Machine Instructions: Load into machine in the following order: 1 cup warm water, 1 teaspoon salt, 2 tablespoons butter, 3 cups flour, 2 tsp baking powder, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon onion powder, 2 tablespoons brown sugar, 1 tablespoon yeast. Do not include egg mixture, kosher salt, or parmesan cheese

Manual Instructions: Sift together flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, onion powder, and garlic powder and yeast. Combine with butter and water to make a dough, kneading till satiny. Set dough in a greased bowl in a warm spot, and allow to double in bulk.

Finishing for both methods: Punch down dough. Spray two cookie sheets with shortening. Break off a golf ball size piece of dough and roll into a ball. Poke a finger through the center to make a 'doughnut' shape and place on cookie sheet to rise. I wound up with about 40. Spray rings with shortening so dough does not dry out and crust. Lay paper towels on top of rings and put in a warm place to rise again about half an hour.

Fill a large pan with 4 cups water and 2 teaspoons baking soda. Bring to a boil. When rings have finished rising use a spatula to put them in the boiling water for about five seconds, then fish them out and return to the greased cookie sheet.

Use a pastry brush to coat the tops of the rings with the egg/water mixture. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and kosher salt.

Put on top shelf of 400 degree fahrenheit oven. Rings will take about 10 to 15 minutes. Monitor closely after the first ten minutes.

Sergeant Charles Eyton
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, January 07, 2006 - 2:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've had a few ideas myself.

For Martha Tabram:
Tabram Turkey with a Thirty-Nine salute

Cook your turkey as normally you would, but stick thirty-nine toothpicks into it with pineapple rings and cherries on top. Finally thrust a knife into the turkey's uterus and leave it on the landing for some lucky passer-by to a-aspy.

For Catharine Eddowes:
Boiled uterii in a Bright's disease sauce

Garnish your boiled uterii with herbs, and then pour the sauce around it. Maybe for effect you could smear the napkins with blood and fecal matter.

I'll be back with more recipes that will honour our fallen prostitutes.

Eyton

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.