Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Is Jack Back? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Is Jack Back? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Eric Smith
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 3:26 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just read an article about an American woman who was stabbed while jogging in London's East End. Apparently, there have been two murders; one on Feb 3 and the other on Dec 5. Could Jack have come out of hiding and developed great anger towards women joggers?

Christopher T George
Inspector
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 479
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 8:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Eric:

I don't know whether you are saying that the attacker of these women, if the same man, has been named as a latter-day "Jack the Ripper" in the press or you are making the connection only because of the location. Needless to say, through the decades since the Whitechapel murders, attacks on and killings of women in the East End and elsewhere have been likened to Jack's crimes. I see no particular reason to think that this offender thinks he is Jack or is following in Jack's footsteps. He is just one more nobody who is a brutalizer of women.

All the best

Chris George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info

(Message edited by ChrisG on December 16, 2003)

Andrew Spallek
Inspector
Username: Aspallek

Post Number: 291
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I didn't realize there had been another murder. I was in London at the end of February last year and the first of the murders you mention was much in the news. The police were conducing an elaborate re-creation with an actress standing in for the murdered American jogger (who was an artist living in London).

I wonder if the MET ever thought of staging re-creations in 1888.

Andy S.

Sarah Long
Inspector
Username: Sarah

Post Number: 298
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Andrew,

That would be very hard to do considering most of the murder sites aren't there anymore.

With reference to this second murder that is being mentioned, I was under the impression that the woman had been stabbed but survived.

Sarah

Andrew Spallek
Inspector
Username: Aspallek

Post Number: 295
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sarah,

I meant had they considered re-creation at the time (1888)?

Andy S.

Monty
Chief Inspector
Username: Monty

Post Number: 526
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Guys,

The latest in this case.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/3322611.stm

Monty
:-)

Christopher T George
Inspector
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 480
Posted on Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Monty et al.:

Thanks for the link, Monty. I should think the recreation of the attack in the park was partly to jog people's memories (no pun intended) about whether they saw the jogger and perhaps saw a man shadowing her.

It might be noted in the background to this case that the Met are possibly sensitive about case because of the notoriety over the Central Park (New York) jogger case of April 19, 1989. As many of you will recall, a female runner was brutalized and left grievously wounded. The Central Park jogger case has had recent ramifications since it now appears that gang of five black and Hispanic youths from Harlem who were convicted of attacking and raping the jogger were not responsible. Another man, Matias Reyes, a convicted killer and serial rapist, recently confessed to the crime and his DNA has apparently been matched to the DNA of semen found at the scene of the attack. The victim, whose name was held secret for some years has now published a book. Trisha Meili, 42, emerged earlier this year out of anonymity with the book, I Am the Central Park Jogger: A Story of Hope and Possibility. She says she does not remember who attacked her.

All the best

Chris

(Message edited by ChrisG on December 16, 2003)

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.