Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Linking it all together Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Linking it all together « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jason Scott Mullins
Sergeant
Username: Crix0r

Post Number: 31
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello All -

I've been around for a few weeks and I'm by no account an expert on anything.. Having said that, here is my question: How do we know we should be looking for one man?

I can't for the life of me, seem to find the one thing that links these crimes together in a typical 'serial' fashion. Now of course, serial killers switch their MO, and sometimes what seems like a fractured MO is actually the MO (I believe the zodiac used all sorts of methods of dispatch, thus his MO would initially look to be all over the place until you realized that it was designed to throw you off, etc.) but I just look at what little evidence we have and I don't see an immediate connection. Perhaps there is a deeper one that I've missed, so I thought I'd ask.

Of course, it could be argued that if I saw the connection, I could solve the case, so barring that thought I'm insanely curious as to why we keep attributing the deaths of these women to the same hand.

The only thing I ask is that the answers be kept to facts and not speculation. While I love a good story and happen to speculate alot myself, I'd like to try to stick with the facts for this question :-)

Again, please forgive me if the answer is out there and I have somehow missed it.

crix0r

Sarah Long
Detective Sergeant
Username: Sarah

Post Number: 106
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jason,

The big main thing which links these women, is the fact that they were all cut up the same way, except Stride, but her throat was cut in the same way as the others and she was lying down when killed as there no blood had been sprayed up the walls which is also the same as the others. Not sure if this is what you were asking, but thought I'd write it anyway.

Sarah

Jason Scott Mullins
Sergeant

Post Number: 33
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Sarah -

I know that some of them share very similar mutilations, and very similar body parts were missing, so that's one reason why it might be considered one man, but I'm still a little if'y on that. However, thanks for the input :-)

crix0r

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 2896
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jason -

There are several "links" from my perspective. I'll list them as follows. (When I say "all victims" I mean Tabram through Kelly - I believe Tabram can not be ruled out as a Ripper victim).

1. Victim's age. All victims, with the exception of Kelly, were between the ages of 39 and 48.
2. Victim's profession. All victims, with the possible exception of Eddowes, were unfortunates.
3. Victim's description. All victims, with the exception of Kelly, were what I would call "motherly" figures - women who were middle-aged, somewhat run-down, and who would arouse little physical lust.
4. Murder locations. All victims were murdered within a relatively small portion of the East End. All locations are within short walking distance.
5. Victims' wounds. Similarity in wounds in all victims except for Stride, but also a textbook "progression" of violence - i.e. all stabs on Tabram, 2 stabs and rips on Polly, heavier rips on Chapman, even moreso on Eddowes, and culminating in Kelly. Similar removal of organs on several victims. Similar weapon used, with exception of Tabram and Stride.
6. Time/date of murders. All victims were killed between midnight and six a.m., mostly on weekends and bank holidays.

There are enough links between Nichols/Chapman/Eddowes/Kelly for me to feel comfortable stating they were all killed by the same hand. Stride and Tabram remain possible victims in my book - with maybe 50% likelihood on Stride and 75% likelihood on Tabram.

Just my opinion, tho'. ;-)
Stephen P. Ryder, Editor
Casebook: Jack the Ripper

Monty
Inspector
Username: Monty

Post Number: 413
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jason,

MO, signature and victimology.

All similar.

Thats the indicator for me.

Monty
:-)

Richard Brian Nunweek
Inspector
Username: Richardn

Post Number: 432
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
The main factor is, from Tabram - Kelly. the murders increased in mutalation, apart from Stride. and there were no more murders of this intensity after Kelly, therefore it seems to me , either the killer, was in some way unable to carry on, or after Kelly there was no need to continue.
The words of the nun, thirty years ago, refering to what she was told in 1915, from a elderly sister, haunt me ' IF it were not for the Kelly woman , none of these murders would have happened'
To me not a truer word has ever been said...
Richard.

Andrew Spallek
Inspector
Username: Aspallek

Post Number: 268
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just to add to what has already been said, the police at the time considered the murders to be the work of one man and distinguished these from other murders such as as torso murders of the same period. Since the police at the time were closer to the crimes than we are this carries a great deal of weight.

Andy S.

(Message edited by aspallek on November 25, 2003)

Jason Scott Mullins
Sergeant

Post Number: 35
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2003 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello All -

Thank you greatly for your input. After a bit of thinking and some chat with some very cool people last night (save one unfortunate incident with someone from Meriden, Connecticut who seems to think that I have a second rate mind.) I came to the conclusion that since we lack evidence now, we more than likely can't be sure that they all died by the same hand. A rather somber thought for anyone hoping to perhaps solve the case. I do want to find out how linking is done "officially" by the FBI and other organizations. Anyone know?

However, good common sense kicks in about now and tells me "Hey, what are the odds of more than knife wielding maniac running about at the same time" an answer I don't have, but my gut tells me "not likely". So I guess that's why we all attribute them to one man. I just don't know if it's right. I'm working the MJK crime scene in my spare time. I haven't come across anything earth shattering but I can say that personally, the whole thing fells.. I dunno.. staged? Does anyone else fell this way?

Now if it were staged because it wasn't a ripper killing and it was made to look like one, that would make sense. However, the killer might have been the ripper, and the ripper might have had some sort of agenda that we can only guess at. One in which the staging of things played an intricate role.

Of course, I should probably stop rambling now and get back to work..

Thanks again for your input guys..

crix0r (with the second rate mind)

Dan Norder
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2003 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Richard wrote:
"there were no more murders of this intensity after Kelly"

Not so. There's Carrie Brown, for instance. She might be related or might not be, but you shouldn't just ignore her. There are also quite a number of others that weren't more intense than MJK, but then I can't imagine that'd it'd be at all easy to outdo himself after that. I could believe that simple knife killings might be Jack's work on the theory that he need just enough thrill to remind himself of past successes, much like a high school football star getting a sense of nostalgia when playing touch football with his kids later.

"The words of the nun, thirty years ago, refering to what she was told in 1915, from a elderly sister, haunt me ' IF it were not for the Kelly woman , none of these murders would have happened' "

I'm not sure why you think that has any relation at all to the topic of this thread, but then I have no clue why a nun's opinion on the matter should be considered at all.

And, no, I don't want you to hijack this thread to try to explain it either, as anyone interested in that particular line of thought can just wander into the Barnett threads and judge it there.

Jack_the_Repper
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jason,

Most victims where seen with a man that looks the same or similar to each other, the same killing tactics where used, the murder weapon was the same or similar in most cases, the victims where all killed in the same area, the victims where killed around the same time, the victims where all prostitutes, and they where all females. Therefor I come to the conciliation, Saucy Jacky was the same man.

-Blu

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.