Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

STREET BALLADS ABOUT THE RIPPER Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » STREET BALLADS ABOUT THE RIPPER « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John Ruffels
Detective Sergeant
Username: Johnr

Post Number: 108
Posted on Friday, September 05, 2003 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Several attempts have been made by Thread-starters
to find out more about the street ballads, sold door to door and sung in public by itinerant vendors who had the sheet music .
Such memorable verses as "Eight Little Whores"
were well known to people like Sir Melville Macnaghten who mentions one street ballad as his first encounter with Jack, in a police file.
Most of these attempts to learn more about Ripper street ballads and their origins have come to nought.
Some time back, I read of a dispute between two Jewish people in Whitechapel. One published cards
the other was an artist. The dispute centred on an allegation by the artist his art-work, created for some other commission, had been purloined and incorporated without acknowledgement in a later
card or publication by the publisher defendant.
Along the way, mention was made of the fact the artist had registered his work with some artisans establishment like the "Hall of Printers" or somesuch.
This leads me to wonder is there a body of archives of verses and/or artworks registered with some Printing trades guild in London, which might throw light on just who penned these street ballads in the 1880's?
Can anyone throw light on my question?

Caroline Anne Morris
Inspector
Username: Caz

Post Number: 311
Posted on Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 7:37 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi John,

Such memorable verses as "Eight Little Whores"
were well known to people like Sir Melville Macnaghten...

I thought there was a big question mark over whether this verse existed before the 1950s. Have you found evidence that Macnaghten knew this one?

Love,

Caz

John Savage
Detective Sergeant
Username: Johnsavage

Post Number: 70
Posted on Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 8:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi John

Copyright on printed material always used to be with Stationers Hall, in London. I'm not sure who ran it but I think it was one of the old livery companies.
I'm sure a google search for Stationers Hall will throw up more info.

Regards,
John Savage

Robert Charles Linford
Chief Inspector
Username: Robert

Post Number: 702
Posted on Saturday, September 06, 2003 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi John

Also, I was wondering if the English Folk Dance and Song Society might have any info.

Robert

John Ruffels
Detective Sergeant
Username: Johnr

Post Number: 109
Posted on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 1:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Caz,
O.K., you have got me there. I have no evidence Sir Melville Macnaghten knew specifically of the "Eight Little Whores" street ballad. I agree, the first time it probably got a recent airing was in McCormick's "The Identity of Jack The Ripper".
I should have tidied my sentence up, so its proper meaning read "an example of a street ballad is.. "Eight Little Whores".. and, quite separately, Sir Melville Macnaghten talked of reading a street ballad-type verse in a JTR letter, as one of his first duties in 1889"....

Hello John Savage,
Thanks for the tip about Stationer's Hall, that was the body referred to in the vague annecdote I attempted to outline above. I'll check Google.

Hello Robert Linford,
Thanks for your signposting to the English Folk Dance and Song Society. Also very useful. I'll check on the 'Net. (It sounds very Monty Python with lots of drunken Morris dancing and Scrumpy!)
Regards, John Ruffels.

Caroline Anne Morris
Inspector
Username: Caz

Post Number: 318
Posted on Tuesday, September 09, 2003 - 4:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks John.

I just wanted to prevent anyone jumping up and down and using your post as proof that "Eight Little Whores" was contemporary with the murders (and concluding that any echoes detectable in the Maybrick Diary - although this is a matter of subjective opinion and individual interpretation - do not by themselves prove that the diary was created post-1950s).

Love,

Caz

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.