Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Psychic arrest! Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Psychic arrest! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chris Scott
Inspector
Username: Chris

Post Number: 180
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 7:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I really didnt know where to post this oddity!!!
I found this short article in a Mexican paper called El Correo Espanol dated 8 September 1890
I have put a rough translation below but any corrections to my Spanish humbly accepted!!!

cor1

Correo Espanol 8 September 1890

Arrest of Jack the Ripper

The great sensation of the day is the arrest of the famous Jack the Ripper, Juan el Destripador, as the London newspapers called him.
In a spiritualist session, two of the participants asked one of the spirits who was the famous Whitechapel murderer. The communicant indicated a butcher in Betsy Street in the said district of Whitechapel; with this information the participants sought out the chief of police, gave him an account of what had happened and themselves set out in search of the famous Jack.
The police chief, incredulous as a good policeman, did not initally believe the information from the spirits; but seeing there may be some basis of truth, he ordered police officers to seek out the butcher. They found him and conveyed him to prison, it is truly believed, since the London police have not observed complete silence on this matter.

Leanne Perry
Inspector
Username: Leanne

Post Number: 348
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day Chris,

A Swiss butcher named Isenschmid, kept a pork butchers shop in Elthorn Road, Holloway. He was detained on suspicion after the murder of Mary Ann Nichols. He threatened to put certain people lights out, until he was put into a lunatic asylum.

LEANNE

Chris Scott
Inspector

Post Number: 189
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Leanna
Very true - i think the "Betsy" street mentioned is Batty Street.
Researching the Spanish papers is coming up with some wonderful spellings!
I found Forbes Winslow today as Jorbes Winslou!!
Regards
Chris

Leanne Perry
Inspector
Username: Leanne

Post Number: 352
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day Chris,

Under 'Isenschmid, Jacob' in 'The Jack the Ripper A-Z', it says that 'Drs Cowan and Crabb of Holloway informed the police that they believed Isenschmid to be the Whitechapel murderer.' He collected sheep's heads, feet and kidneys from the market to sell in the West End of London.

Inspector Abberline thought that he was the man with a bloodstained hand seen by Mrs Fiddymont.

LEANNE

Chris Scott
Inspector

Post Number: 190
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - 7:52 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Leanne
I posted some work I did on Isenscmid (to use one of the spellings!)
If you didnt see it let me know and I'll repost
regards
Chris

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.