Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Abberline Biographical Information Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Abberline Biographical Information « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Paul Juser
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 4:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm currently working on a play about Frederick Abberline and I'm having trouble tracking down a few pieces of biographical information. I apologize if this was covered anywhere else, but sometimes the immensity of information on this site makes searching out minor details like these more difficult than it's worth. If anyone can help me out, I'd appreciate it very much.

1) What religion was Abberline? Protestant seems a safe assumption, but you know what happens when you assume. Anyone know for sure?

2) Did he have children? If so, how many, and what were their sexes?

3) What was Mrs. Abberline's name?

Thank you in advance for anyone who can help me here.

John Savage
Chief Inspector
Username: Johnsavage

Post Number: 546
Posted on Monday, December 19, 2005 - 7:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Paul,

Inspector Abberline married twice, first in 1867 to Martha Mackness aged 25. She died of consumption in May 1868. Second Marriage was to Emma Beament in 1876, she died in 1930, whilst Abberline himself died in 1929.

As far as I know he had no children [but I could be wrong].

Regarding his religion, the only sure way to tell would be from a baptism record, which should be available from the local records office in Blandford, Dorset, were he was born.

Perhaps you might consider getting hold of a copy of the "Jack the Ripper A-Z", by Begg, Fido and Skinner, it is full of useful information.

Rgds
John

Andrew Spallek
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Aspallek

Post Number: 1036
Posted on Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 12:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have no idea what religion Abberline was. But we should remember that his baptismal record may not be an indicator as he might have converted to a different religion later in life or rejected religion entirely. A better indicator would be who performed his burial rite - although that is not even foolproof.

Andy S.

David Knott
Detective Sergeant
Username: Dknott

Post Number: 136
Posted on Wednesday, December 21, 2005 - 5:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think that the "A-Z" contains a couple of errors, although not relating to Paul's three questions above. Abberline's father died in 1850 not 1859, and there were four children not three, Frederick's oldest sibling being Emily.

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 1722
Posted on Wednesday, December 21, 2005 - 10:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Paul

I would guess that Abberline was Church of England. He is shown in the 1861 British census as living on East Street, Blandford, age 18, "clock and watch maker" with his mother Hannah, age 60, "formerly a shopkeeper," and his older brother Edward, age 21, a cabinet maker. Curiously, the next door neighbor was also a cabinet maker and I assume possibly a cousin of the Abberlines as his name was "Frederic G. Hillyer" age 39 and he had a son also "Frederic G." age 9, mirroring future Chief Inspector Frederick George Abberline's given names.

Chris

(Message edited by Chrisg on December 21, 2005)
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info
http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 5418
Posted on Wednesday, December 21, 2005 - 11:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi folks

Something I'd like to look into next year, is the following :

FAMILY WELFARE ASSOCIATION (FORMERLY CHARITY ORGANISATION SOCIETY)
Catalogue Ref. A/FWA
Creator(s):
Charity Organisation Society, 1896-1946
Family Welfare Association, 1946

[Access Conditions]
All records of the F.W.A. which are less than 60 years old, with the exception of annual reports and other publications, are closed to public consultation unless written permission for access is obtained from the Director of the Family Welfare Association.

CENTRAL OFFICE

ENQUIRY DEPARTMENT - ref. A/FWA/C/D

FILES ON INDIVIDUALS
[Access Conditions] FILES ON INDIVIDUALS ARE CLOSED TO CONSULTATION. Permission for access may be obtained from the Director of the Family Welfare Association.

FILE - Abberline, Edward and Lily (case 32932); writers of begging letters; document file and key file - ref. A/FWA/C/D/297/001 - date: 1922-1934
[Access Conditions] CLOSED

This looks like Abberline's brother, though he was a bit old for marriage by 1911, the year that an Edward Abberline married a Lily Beard.

Robert

Burgho
Police Constable
Username: Burgho

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, December 21, 2005 - 12:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hope this helps.

In the 1881 Census, the dwelling of Frederick George Abberline (age 38) and his wife, Emma (age 28, born Islington) is shown as 'Police Station, 160 Commercial Road'.

In the 1901 Census FGA is living in Lambeth.

Burgho
Police Constable

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, December 21, 2005 - 12:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Apologies,

Make that '160 Commercial Street'

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 1723
Posted on Wednesday, December 21, 2005 - 1:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi again Paul

Abberline and his wife did not have children. That is one of the reasons why it is thought that his grave did not have a headstone, something that interested parties in the Bournemouth area have been trying to rectify, as noted in this link to a discussion of the grave on these boards.

Chris
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info
http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/

Burgho
Police Constable

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 12:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Paul,

I found this on a genealogical site.

Father Edward was an auctioneer and appraiser, high bailiff of Blandford County Court and agent for Merchants and Tradesmens Mutal Life Insurance, based at The Square, Blandford. He died in 1850 leaving a wife Hannah, and two sons Edward and Frederick who then moved to a shop in East Street, nearby.

1851 Census

Abberline Hannah Shop keeper 49 1802 Southampton

Abberline Emoly (sic) Servant 15 1836 Salisbury

Abberline Harriet Scholar 12 1839 Blandford

Abberline Edward Scholar 11 1840 Blandford

Abberline Frederick Scholar 8 1843 Blandford

belindafromhenmans
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 12:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's an interesting point, Paul.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.