Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

A Little Help Finding Murder Sites Wi... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » A Little Help Finding Murder Sites With Google Earth « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

MACO
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, December 02, 2005 - 12:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello All,

Just wondering if anyone has ever used Google Earth (or a variant thereof) to gain satellite images of the modern East End of London to create a map of the murder sites. Has anything like this been done? Could it be?

I'd do it myself, but I'm not familiar enough with London to do it in any tractable time.

Any info would be appreciated!

MACO

P.S. For those who don't know, Google Earth (http://earth.google.com/) is an interactive global satellite image program that would allow detailed satellite images of Whitechapel to be investigated.

George Hutchinson
Chief Inspector
Username: Philip

Post Number: 900
Posted on Friday, December 02, 2005 - 6:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A great idea, MACO, but we pretty much know exactly now where the murder sites are. The only difficulty I know of is getting the exact spot of Annie's death. Even MJK has now been accurately mapped - and it's not even in the wholesale building (much less under that stupid car park opposite). It's actually on the overlap between the shutters and the end of the building where there is a missing kerbstone. CE and PN are easy to find as we still have parts of the surrounding architecture remaining, and LS is easy to find from the 1909 photograph as being directly inside the school playground wall where the outer wall dips down a couple of courses.

However, I WOULD be keen to get the exact Tabram spot. At the moment I am just using about 15 feet from the building facing Wentworth Street and 7 feet in from the kerb on my tours.

PHILIP
Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd!

MACO
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 2:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey George!

First off, thanks for your input. I'm aware the locations of the murder sites are known.

I guess I was curious if anyone had the means (and time!) to construct an 'official' satellite map of the murder sites. Something similar to the maps on this website, but with a satellite image overlay (or similar).

I don't think at the moment this type of map would prove extremely useful to solving the case, but it would still prove a nice and useful learning tool to both newbies and pros alike.

And also, the future may prove to give better satellite images (to within regulations) and would help some of the ongoing discussions on these boards regarding the pinpointing of JtR sites in modern London.

Any further comments would be great! Thanks again, George.

Cheers!

MACO

jonathan menges
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, December 09, 2005 - 12:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ge image

jonathan menges
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, December 09, 2005 - 11:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have google earth and if you type in the search box "whitechapel, london" it will take you right there. If you have the community boxes checked, the names of the ripper victims will appear over the murder locations. you can zoom in or out as you wish. Street names and other points of interest appear labeled as well. I would post screen shots of this, but have problems getting a capture under 200kbs since the grabber on my mac saves in .tiff format. That, and the "post message" feature on this site often times out. I can email the images to someone if there is interest.

Jonathan Menges
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, December 09, 2005 - 11:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here is an attempt at a screen shot of Google Earth
image/tiffMJK via Google Earth
MJK.tiff (183.2 k)

jonathan menges
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, December 09, 2005 - 12:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

another one...ge image

MACO
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, December 12, 2005 - 8:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jonathan,

Thanks for your insightful post(s) and pictures. I've tried myself to utilize the "Community" option like you said and it was very nice. I must say though that it seems the icons that pop up with the locations of the murder sites are not too accurate.

Usually the streets are correct, but they are sometimes a bit off (for instance the location that they give for Eddowes is not even in Mitre Square). Bear in mind I haven't look at all of them yet, but so far this is what I've noticed.

But again, thanks for your help. Great work. Perhaps a better job can be done (by Google or one of us), although this interesting so far.

Cheers!

MACO

P.S. I had trouble viewing your TIFF file on my PC. If it's easy to change the format to maybe JPG or BITMAP (without making the file too large) it would be nice to see what it's like. But don't go crazy!

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.