Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Timing a Function of Victimology? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Timing a Function of Victimology? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Diana
Chief Inspector
Username: Diana

Post Number: 834
Posted on Saturday, October 22, 2005 - 9:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We've spent a lot of time debating what the timing of the killings tells us about Jack: Day of the Week, Time of night, Day of the Month.

Maybe the time of night is more a function of victimology than anything else.

The pubs were closing. The doss houses were filling up. Even the most intrepid were growing extremely tired. They just wanted the money for a bed or in Mary's case for the rent.

Helge Samuelsen
Inspector
Username: Helge

Post Number: 413
Posted on Sunday, October 23, 2005 - 5:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, assuming Jack was really planning his stuff intellectually, that is a point, Diana.

More likely it was simply the relative cover of darkness and the deserted streets that made such attacks viable in the first place, and Jack's only concern was surviving.

But, yes, I can see that his victims were at the most vulnerable at these hours. But I fail to see how this may shed further light on Jack. Except that he was not a moron with no survival skills whatsoever.

But we allready knew that

The weekend theme might be one clue however. Sure there might be more prostitutes out in the weekends, but actually that might not be in Jack's interest. More people (including prostitutes) on the streets actually increased the danger. He only needed one victim (except for the possible double event that was probably not planned as such anyway)

It would not be hard to find prostitutes any day of the week. And a slow day might be even better than a weekend.

I think it is more likely Jack was on his spree during weekends because that is the only time he could. In effect, he most likely had a job. Or maybe his urges only came when he had been out drinking? Perhaps a combination of the two.

Helge
"If Spock were here, he'd say that I was an irrational, illlogical human being for going on a mission like this... Sounds like fun!" -- (Kirk - Generations)

Caroline Anne Morris
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Caz

Post Number: 2217
Posted on Monday, October 24, 2005 - 5:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Helge, Diana,

I think we may at least assume that Jack did not kill on nights when he would normally have had to be at work early the next morning or face awkward questions, or even the sack.

If house-to-house searches had actually arrived at the killer's lair in a dawn raid, following one of his murders, he would probably have been one of two things - still in a state of high excitement and adrenaline levels, or completely zonked out if the high had subsided by then.

I imagine he would have craved absolute privacy for several hours afterwards until his exhaustion had left him and he could regain some semblance of normality and daily routine.

It seems likely to me that it was Jack's circumstances that dictated when he was or wasn't able to prowl the streets, as much as any increased availability of prostitutes at the weekend following payday.

You make a good point Helge, that the risk of discovery could have been greater at the weekends if more people were out and about. But maybe the risk factor was part of Jack's thrill, or maybe he reckoned he was safer and more anonymous in a sea of people, many from outside the immediate area, flooding in for the weekend markets.

Or maybe he just didn't have the freedom to sleep in on certain days of the week.

Love,

Caz
X

Diana
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 836
Posted on Monday, October 24, 2005 - 2:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Your point impinges on a discussion that was held on another thread awhile back, namely, when was AC killed. The argument was over whether to believe the doctors or the witnesses.

If the doctors were right then she was killed earlier, giving him time to get home, etc.

Caroline Anne Morris
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2227
Posted on Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 6:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

But Diana,

I doubt it would have given him enough time to sleep off the experience and fully recover his composure, whatever time AC was killed - if he had to be up and out for any reason that morning.

Can you imagine Jack after the double event, if he killed both? Back 'home' well before the time AC was killed, but I can see him sleeping in to the afternoon. He wasn't Superman; he was a very naughty boy.

Love,

Caz
X

Diana
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 838
Posted on Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 11:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

College students can cavort until 1 or 2 in the morning and be relatively perky the next day. We know he killed Nichols about three or fourish and the earliest time given for Kelly is usually about fourish.

(Message edited by diana on October 25, 2005)

Barnaby
Police Constable
Username: Barnaby

Post Number: 9
Posted on Wednesday, October 26, 2005 - 1:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree with Helge. Timing certainly is a function of victimology. But the day of the week isn't. Prostitutes were out every night.

Unfortunately, the fact that the murders were all committed on the weekend doesn't tell us all that much. Perhaps we can conclude that Jack had a job. But was he well off? Or did he need to get paid so he'd have bait for the prostitutes?

Caroline Anne Morris
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2233
Posted on Wednesday, October 26, 2005 - 6:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Diana,

I'm not sure we can compare the cavorting of college students with what Jack was doing. The cavorting is all carefree, public and relatively innocent, with none of the stress involved, and the acute senses needed, to seek out suitable prey, do the deed and flee, without another living soul suspecting you.

And when the cavorting ends, the student can crash out, with not even the next day's lectures on his mind. Not so Jack.

Love,

Caz
X

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Apwolf

Post Number: 2725
Posted on Wednesday, October 26, 2005 - 5:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would say that a Saturday night was the most unlikely night for a prostitute to be murdered in Whitechapel,as they did like to be up early for morning prayers on the Sunday, which kicked off around five o'clock.
They may have sold their bodies but not their souls.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.