Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Lessons Learned while Running from a ... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Lessons Learned while Running from a Hurricane « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Diana
Chief Inspector
Username: Diana

Post Number: 798
Posted on Tuesday, September 27, 2005 - 2:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm back home. The house is fine. We have electricity and water. God is good.

We jumped in the car and started running Thursday morning. Grocery stores were closed so I had to stock for our trip from the kitchen. For breakfast I believe we had breakfast bars. For lunch we had peanut butter and jelly. For dinner we had peanut butter and jelly at midnight before retiring to blankets on a high school gym floor (shelter). The room was occupied by @ 200 other snoring people.

When I woke up Friday morning and tried to stand I nearly fell over from weakness. Fortunately those kind people provided me with a breakfast and coffee and after that I felt much better.

I started thinking about Polly, Annie, Liz, Kathy, and Mary.

I now know what it is like to have your body screaming for sleep and no place to lay your head, to just have to keep moving.

I know what it is like to bed down on a cement floor in a room with 200 other people and be grateful you have even that. I understand why they went to the doss houses.

I know what it is like to be so hungry you almost can't stand up from weakness. No wonder he overcame them so easily.

The only element that wasn't there is that I am not an alcoholic. I did not have that craving on me.

I hope I don't sound like I feel sorry for myself. That isn't the point. We could not have set up an experiment where one of us would have volunteered to spend one day living like they lived. Nobody would have volunteered. Now I know a little bit of what it was like. I'm very thankful I don't have to live that way day after day.

Dan Norder
Chief Inspector
Username: Dannorder

Post Number: 911
Posted on Tuesday, September 27, 2005 - 3:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Diana,

I'm glad you are OK.

Good points all around. It seems it would be pretty easy to overpower these women... in fact from the descriptions of most of them, they probably were near toppling over all on their own as it was.
Dan Norder, Editor
Ripper Notes: The International Journal for Ripper Studies
 Profile    Email    Dissertations    Website

Helge Samuelsen
Inspector
Username: Helge

Post Number: 398
Posted on Tuesday, September 27, 2005 - 4:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Diana,

Good to have you back, and to know you're all ok, and that the house and all is in one piece!

And thanks for sharing those experiences.

Helge
"If Spock were here, he'd say that I was an irrational, illlogical human being for going on a mission like this... Sounds like fun!" -- (Kirk - Generations)

Lindsey Millar
Inspector
Username: Lindsey

Post Number: 476
Posted on Tuesday, September 27, 2005 - 6:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Diana, Dear God, I thank Him that you're okay.

Lyn
"When a man grows tired of London, he grows tired of life" (or summat like that)

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Suzi

Post Number: 2995
Posted on Wednesday, September 28, 2005 - 4:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Diana,
So glad youre OK and in one pice!!

All best
Suzi

Glenn G. Lauritz Andersson
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Glenna

Post Number: 4066
Posted on Wednesday, September 28, 2005 - 6:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Diana,

I am very pleased to hear that you are OK and that the house still stands.

All the best
G. Andersson, writer/historian

Frank van Oploo
Chief Inspector
Username: Franko

Post Number: 772
Posted on Thursday, September 29, 2005 - 11:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, Diana, very good to hear you're alright!

Frank
"There's gotta be a lot of reasons why I shouldn't shoot you, but right now I can't think of one."

- Clint Eastwood, in 'The Rookie' (1990)

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.