Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

And if we really catch him? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » And if we really catch him? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jaakko Parantainen
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 3:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I personally am quite new to the case and have read only two books on it, but I found the community surrounding it today almost as interesting as the events over a hundred years back.

It seems to me that for many people the case of these murders committed by someone called Jack the Ripper have become something larger than life. For some it's just something you could call a hobby, for some it sounds like it's a second job. This is just to say that for many the studying of the case and the evidence connected is rally, really important and their suspects have become something of a cross-breed of a pet and a gladiator.

So please tell me, how would you feel, if someone truly solved the case? If someone truly found the hard evidence needed, a confession or whatever, which unquestionably pointed out the murderer? What would that event mean to you, would you feel joy because the reputations of all those wrongly accused would be cleaned and the murderer could no longer laugh to us beyond the grave through his letters saying "Catch me if you can"? Or would you feel sad because all the mystery was suddenly gone and the trophy of reputation he had carried all these years was passed to someone who finally figured him out or stumbled on a diary or confession just by accident?

Please, tell me! Also tell me for how long have you been studying the case (but not necessarily how you started etc., that's not the point of this). Drama and tragic words are allowed, even recommended!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ian
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, September 23, 2005 - 12:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jaakko.

I posted a similar topic not long ago. It's difficult to say how you'd feel I'm not sure its something you'd know until it happens. I would like the case to be solved though definately, I think the answer would be as interesting as trying to discover it. You could then read all the books and try and see how authors have come to conclusions that are a million miles away from the truth. Then of course there's the "Oh yeah, I can see that now, if only we'd paid more attention to this" syndrome.

I've always been remotely interested in the Jack The Ripper case probably because of the "romance" of the case, the name, the mystery etc.

My "study" of the case I think really took off after the Michael Caine film in 1988. I think the film is brilliant, even if large parts are less than accurate, for entertainment rather than fact I think it's superb and it got me hooked on the case.

I now have all the books, all the video's, DVD's etc and you're right, the Ripper can't half hook you.

Unfortunately I don't think we'll ever know for certain Jack's identity.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.