Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

The London Nobody Knows Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » The London Nobody Knows « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

MACO
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, September 18, 2005 - 12:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've see the small clip of 29 Hanbury Street from the film "The London Nobody Knows" with James Mason that's posted on this site. Is there anything more in the film that shows more worth viewing (e.g. murder sites, etc.)? And if so, where could one see them without tracking down a copy of the film? Thanks for your help!

Jon Smyth
Inspector
Username: Jon

Post Number: 387
Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 5:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Maco.
I must have been 10 or so when I saw that film and I'm sure the scene in Hanbury St. is the only JtR murder site shown in the film.

Regards, Jon
We talk of things as wrong or right, or clear as night and day.
But life is rarely black and white, but multiple shades of grey.

Stanley D. Reid
Inspector
Username: Sreid

Post Number: 391
Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 5:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

What a sad commentary on shortsightedness. Think what a money maker it would be today if someone with half a brain had thought to preserve #29.

Best regards,

Stan

George Hutchinson
Chief Inspector
Username: Philip

Post Number: 749
Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 7:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

MACO - a DVD burn from a 1980s TV transmission of this is available all over eBay on Buy It Now for about £8 or so. It is a truly SUPERB documentary on so many levels. One of the best ever made.

However, the short snippet of Hanbury Street is the only part connected to JTR or indeed any murder (though allusions are made to Crippen at the start of the programme as Mason visits an old ruinous Music Hall where Cora Crippen once sang as Belle Elmore). There is plenty of East End footage to make up for it though.

PHILIP
Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd!

Howard Brown
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Howard

Post Number: 1021
Posted on Saturday, September 24, 2005 - 10:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Phil....quick question..

On your tours,does your tour get close to the original Hanbury Street site/address? Thanks !
How Brown
Prop.
WWW.JTRForums.com

George Hutchinson
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 750
Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 7:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How - I pride myself on the fact that as far as I know I am the ONLY tour guide who goes to as close to the EXACT spots as possible. So yes, after work with the 1894 maps I go to the actual spot of 29 Hanbury Street. A lot of the guesses are wrong.

The actual spot, if the 1894 maps are to be trusted (and I can't see why not) is virtually opposite the Kobi Nazrul Centre, or, if you like, where in Hanbury Street one of the saplings has been uprooted and replaced with a little fresh tarmac over a few boards - deeply unsafe!

Of course, you can't get to the actual spots of AC or MJK so I get as close as I can. One thing, though, is that you can get closer to the site of Millers Court than I once thought as the depth of the street has changed. In other words, if you are standing in front of the shutters you are standing in the alleyway, or inside #26 or #27.

Maybe - just maybe - foundations are left under the building there now?

PHILIP

Robert Clack
Chief Inspector
Username: Rclack

Post Number: 649
Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 12:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Phil,

I've been on the exact spot of 29 Hanbury Street. And didn't we agree that 13 Millers Court would have started about where the kerb is now?

Rob

George Hutchinson
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 751
Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 8:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Rob

Well you are a lucky Clacky who has been into the art gallery building then, ain't ya!

In regards to the spot of #13 I think we were talking at cross purposes, or we are now. I agree and agreed when we were on site with Chris Jaud that the broken kerb marks the distance down Dorset Street #13 would have been, but I certainly don't remember agreeing the front of #13 would have been at the kerbside.

Remember we did some sums and worked out that the street level of Dorset Street would now be about 10 feet south of where it is today. Given that #13 from North to South was probably 10 feet and that about 4 feet of that would have been beyond the 20 foot alleyway, at best the partition wall would then be about 6 feet behind the shutters.

Phew!

I rarely dispute anything you say, Rob, but on this one I believe I am right.

PHILIP

Robert Clack
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 653
Posted on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 3:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Phil,

I did an overlay of the Goads Fire Insurance map which shows the Spitalfields Market extension and an 1894 O.S Map, by my reckoning, the partition would be about where the front of the building is now give or take a foot.

All the best

Rob

P.S if you are in Hanbury Street on a Sunday morning the brewery on the site of 29 is used as an indoor market.

George Hutchinson
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 753
Posted on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 4:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Rob.

This flies in the face of the location of the block of buildings on the opposite side of Commercial Street lining up with the measurements we know of, namely the alleyway being 20 feet long and #13 measuring 10 feet N to S.

We are only talking now of a matter of 5 feet disagreement, however!

The only other explanation is, if you are right, that the dimensions of the alley and #13 have always been wrong, or the maps aren't as accurate as they purport to be.

PHILIP

Robert Clack
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 655
Posted on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 5:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Phil,

What I didn't realise is that the Brushfield Street side of the block was widened when they built the Market extension, which doesn't help. You can see there is a gap between the building and the street numbers on the south side of Brushfield Street. It is a bit of a nightmare figuring out the exact spot. I have another map which I'll show you on Saturday.

Rob

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.