Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Who REALLY wants to know who the Ripp... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Who REALLY wants to know who the Ripper is? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ian
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, September 02, 2005 - 4:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Whether or not we agree on theories or no matter how much anyone of us gets up another posters nose, there's one thing we all share - a deep fascination with the Jack The Ripper case and a burning desire to unravel the truth ............................ or do we?

Interesting question for you all.

If it came to light that there was undeniable, 100% evidence found that once and for all could reveal the identity of the Whitechapel murderer, who would want to know? Would you like the true facts or would it be a tradgedy to know as it spoils the mystery and intrigue?

To me that question is almost as difficult to answer as the question we all ask ourselves time after time - who was Jack The Ripper!

Jennifer Pegg
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 2932
Posted on Wednesday, September 07, 2005 - 3:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Such evidence would never come to light. Okay I'm a pessimist.

I would like to know. I thought that was the point. I guess the I never will though, mores the pity!
"You know I'm not gonna diss you on the Internet
Cause my momma taught me better than that."

George Hutchinson
Chief Inspector
Username: Philip

Post Number: 718
Posted on Wednesday, September 07, 2005 - 8:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If it was known who the Ripper is and that is it, cut and dried, I would want to know.

But I do not want to find out. I hope we never do know.

PHILIP
Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd!

Phil Hill
Chief Inspector
Username: Phil

Post Number: 862
Posted on Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 5:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recall the days, in the 60s, when I think people genuinely expected that the Scotland yard files, when opned, would reveal the name of the undeniable suspect (who for some reason could never be brought to trial).

That proved not be be the case.

I too doubt that 100% proof could ever be brought to be light on any suspect. But if it were, I would be fascinated. Of course, we want to know whodunnit!!

But for me that would just make the case more fascinating - why did we not recognise the truth? was there a cover-up? What does the solution tell us about Victorian society and ourselves? What does it say about our hopes and illusions as ripperologists?

Bring it on, say I.

Phil.

Stanley D. Reid
Inspector
Username: Sreid

Post Number: 324
Posted on Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 5:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

I don't expect to ever know but I would certainly like to know who he was if it should come to light. Losing the mystery wouldn't bother me all that much because there are plenty of other unsolved murders out there that are at least as interesting as JTR. I'd just say see you all on the Casebook: Cleveland Torso Slayer site.

Goodies,

Stan

Ian
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 6:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I agree that the chances of us ever knowing are slim to put it mildly.

Got this funny feeling that if Jack The Ripper was finally revealed we'd all gasp a collective "WHO??????" ;-)

Stanley D. Reid
Inspector
Username: Sreid

Post Number: 338
Posted on Sunday, September 11, 2005 - 5:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Ian,

Yes, NONE OF THE ABOVE is my favorite suspect.

Stan

Belinda Pearce
Sergeant
Username: Belinda

Post Number: 43
Posted on Sunday, September 11, 2005 - 7:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I want to know I also think it was Cohen or somebody very much like that

Fremont
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, September 16, 2005 - 1:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've read a lot about JFK, and I've often asked the same about that event.
<br>
I've come to the conclusion that if someone were to produce the real story, whatever that is, the facts would be reinterpreted by those defending their own theories, and those whose politics are challenged. And the real story would become just another theory.
<br>
I think the same is true in this case.

Dustin Gould
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, October 26, 2005 - 8:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had similar interest in the "Watergate" mystery for over a decade, before Felt finally owned up to being the infamous "Deep Throat". Before he ever did so, I had often asked myself "Do I really want to know?". Truth is, I did. Even if it spoiled the intrigue. So if I did find out emphatically it was "so-and-so" who was "The Ripper", I would THEN be inclined to ask, "Okay. Now WHY did he/she do it?". Because, in my opinion, that would be the next, logical question in that line.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.