Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Find the graves Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Find the graves « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Christian Jaud
Detective Sergeant
Username: Chrisjd

Post Number: 125
Posted on Wednesday, September 07, 2005 - 5:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

While in London last week I visited the gravesites of Stride, Eddowes and Nichols.
I first looked for directions on this casebook, where the way to Kelly’s grave is very well described ( see e.g http://casebook.org/cgi-bin/forum/show.cgi?tpc=4921&post=76135#POST76135 )
But information about the way to the others is either incomplete or scattered around, so I thought I post a foolproof description here.

Thanks to the help of Andrew Spallek via email I found the graves without a problem, so in my descriptions below I’ll use lots of details he has given me before my trip.

If you post clear directions to other case related graves here we could have a reference thread with easy to follow information for interested visitors.

Please pay respect at all the cemeteries by dignified behaviour.

Christian

Christian Jaud
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 126
Posted on Wednesday, September 07, 2005 - 5:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Grave of Elizabeth Stride

Direction: Tube ( District line or Hammersmith & City line) to West Ham station.
West Ham station is in Zone 3 of the London Underground system an can be found at “3 o’clock” on a London tube map, imagining it as a dial of a clock.

Exit the tube station (see red circle on map below) and turn left.
Shortly to your left again is “Memorial av.”
Walk straight down. It leads directly to small gates that give access to a park.
Enter park and follow the curved way around until you reach the exit to “Grange rd.”
Walk on Grange rd. until you see the entrance gates to the cemetery to your left. They can’t be missed that way.

Grange rd can be reached without using the park in case it’s closed, maybe via Manor rd / Gainsborough rd. See map below.

Enter the cemetery and walk straight towards a grey cross (WW1-memorial) in front of you.

There you turn left on the path that leads you around the center of the cemetery (see map)
On the inside of this circular path the cemy is packed with graves, outside there are less graves. Follow the path, it bends and becomes straight again.

Shortly before the junction between the circular path you’re on and a path leading straight to the center of the cemy (to towards the right) Stride’s grave can be found on the left (outside) of the circular path. Map and photos below should help finding it.

Views from footpath looking left:

closer:

It helps checking opening times on their webpage before going there. I arrived at 8:45 am on sunday only to find out they open at 10 am on Sundays (even 1 pm on bank holidays). Thanks to sunshine and a book the waiting wasn’t that boring.

Christian Jaud
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 127
Posted on Wednesday, September 07, 2005 - 6:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gravesites of C. Eddowes and M.A. Nichols

While Kelly and Stride still have a marked grave, Eddowes and Nichols only have a marker of their approximate resting place.

They are both in City of London Cemetery.
The nearest station. “Manor Park” isn’t a tube station but British rail, still it’s absolutely easy to go there:

After visiting Stride’s grave I went back to West Ham station, took a tube of the Jubilee line one stop to Stratford and from there by British rail train (direction “Shenfield”) only three stops to “Manor park”.
Same train can be used directly from Liverpool street station.

Leave the station and turn left. Walk down “Forrest drive” (on both sides no buildings just fallow land (as of Aug. 2005) until this street reaches “Aldersbrook rd.”. You can see the big gates of the Cemy from there as you walk directly towards them.

This cemetery is huge, so the description is a bit more complicated.
There’s a map on their webpage that helps. Maybe you print it. Or ask me via email, I’ll send it to you.

The footpaths are named.
Make your way somehow towards the “Old” or “traditional” Crematorium (see blue X on first map). The paths I used are marked red and called “South gate rd”, turn right into “Central av.” and finally 90° left into “St. Dionis rd” that leads straight towards the crematorium. (see map 1).

Walk halfway round the building until you see the toilet doors.
Turn around, the doors behind you, you see a path which (after ca 10 meters) becomes “Gardens way” and turns right. Follow it.
Shortly before the T-junction of “Gardens way” and “Willow rd” you’ll find the two markers.
They are very easy to miss, as there are no grave stones, just flower beds, trees and various markers on the ground.

As you walk up “Gardens way” Nichols’ comes first to your right. Her marker is between two trees. The square meter around their trunks are memorial “beds”, their numbers are 2001 and 2000. In other words: Nichols’ marker is between bed 2000 and bed 2001.

About 10 meters further is Eddowes on the left. Her marker is in front of “bed 1849” which is easier to spot because it’s a bigger rose / flower bed.
I actually saw Eddowes’ first and went back to find Nichols’.

On map 2 their approx. locations are marked with the red “Xs”.

The first photo shows how close Eddowes (“E”) and Nichols (“N”) are.
You also can clearly see the small “beds” around the trees on Nichols’ side.

Eddowes marker with bed No 1849 behind it:

Nichols marker:

Christian Jaud
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 128
Posted on Wednesday, September 07, 2005 - 6:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Grave of A. Chapman

On map 1 above you also can see the smaller “Manor Park Cemetery” and find the way to it.
Chapman’s grave is lost, but Philip Hutchinson kindly marked the rough area where it was on the following map & aerial photo.

see also:
../4921/16272.html"../4920/20109.jpg" alt="">

George Hutchinson
Chief Inspector
Username: Philip

Post Number: 716
Posted on Wednesday, September 07, 2005 - 11:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good work, Chris.

And me.

PHILIP
Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd!

Andrew Spallek
Chief Inspector
Username: Aspallek

Post Number: 994
Posted on Friday, September 23, 2005 - 2:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, Christian, good work. Glad you found my directions helpful. For the sake of completeness I will cross post my directions to Kelly's grave.

I may have an article in the October Ripper Notes about the vicims' funerals and finding their graves.

DIRECTIONS TO MARY KELLY'S GRAVE:

Upon exiting the Tube Station at Leyton (Central Line, which is ground level at this point) (1) turn left and follow High Road Leyton to the next corner. (2) Turn left onto Calderon Rd. and follow to the third street (inclusive of a street immediately after your left turn onto Calderon). (3) Turn left onto Elmore Road (this is the third street mentioned above) and follow to where it bends at the back of a church (not St. Patrick's). At this point you will see St. Patrick's Cemetery ahead and to your right. (4) Turn right onto Langthorne Road and follow to the Cemetery entrance. (5) Enter and follow the footpath right around to the rear of the church and bear to your right. (6) Follow the pathway to a rubbish collection point. There is no actual bin, but when I was there it contained black plastic rubbish bags. (7) Look to your right and you will see the grave with a statue of a young football player. (8) Mary's grave is just a few graves to its right.

Andy S.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.