Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

A Question Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » A Question « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jana Oliver
Police Constable
Username: Jana

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 1:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Greetings all! Out of lurk mode. Currently working on a novel set over the time of the Ripper murders and I need help on a few things to insure my details are correct.

RE: Liz Stride Murder/Berner Street --
There is a passageway that links Backchurch Lane & Berner Street (see map, page 168 - Sugden's "Complete History"). It lies north of Dutfield's Yard and south of Sander Street.

I am particularly interested in that passage as to:
1) Would it be lit in any way?
2) Would there have been entrances into the buildings on either side?
3) Estimated width at various parts.
4) Descriptions of the passage, if they exist.

Grin -- I know, I want the world. I've tore through all my reference books and online, but since I don't know the name of the passage, per se, it's hard to determine much about it.

If you can just cite a reference book or website, I can take it from there.

Thanks!
Jana Oliver
An author is a fool who, not content with boring those he lives with, insists on boring future generations." -- Charles de Montesquieu

Robert Clack
Chief Inspector
Username: Rclack

Post Number: 632
Posted on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 3:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jana,

Firstly welcome.

The alleyway is called Batty's Gardens. From Berner Street it was entered by a covered archway (like Millers Court) about 3 feet wide. There were two wall lamps in the alleyway (marked in red) and one at the Backchurch Lane end. You can probably gauge the width from the archway which as I said would be about three feet. I believe you could get access to most of the buildings except the row along the North side by Backchurch Lane.
The map is from 1873 and I don't think there would have been much change in 1888. There is some small differences on the 1894 edition.

Batty's Gardens 1873

Batty's Gardens 1894

All the best

Rob

(Message edited by rclack on August 29, 2005)

Jana Oliver
Police Constable
Username: Jana

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 5:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rob
Thanks! You folks are always awesome. I usually just lurk and read the posts, but the current work-in-progress is straining the grey cells. I'll attempt to keep the questions to a minimum.

As for Batty's Gardens, this teaches me to look at the older maps rather than staring fixedly at the 1894 one I have on my wall. Lesson learned. And I rather belatedly realized there is a Help Thread for just such questions. Sigh...

Thank you, Chief Inspector, you've been very helpful. And now to return to the back alleys of scenic WhiteChapel.

Jana
An author is a fool who, not content with boring those he lives with, insists on boring future generations." -- Charles de Montesquieu

R.J. Palmer
Chief Inspector
Username: Rjpalmer

Post Number: 712
Posted on Wednesday, September 28, 2005 - 9:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The search mechanism doesn't seem to be working on the Message Boards. Anyone else experiencing this? Thanks.

John Hacker
Inspector
Username: Jhacker

Post Number: 333
Posted on Thursday, September 29, 2005 - 1:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's working fine for me R.J.

R.J. Palmer
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 714
Posted on Thursday, September 29, 2005 - 1:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mr. Hacker--Thank you and welcome back. This confirms my suspicions. I am cursed.

A trivia question for your kindness. What major Ripper suspect once said:

"I will eat the rest of the anatomy"?

Any guesses? Cheers, RP

John Hacker
Inspector
Username: Jhacker

Post Number: 334
Posted on Thursday, September 29, 2005 - 1:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks! It's good to be back. I missed this place.

That's a good trivia question... It's a Shakespeare quote isn't it? I can't recall the play offhand, but it was one of the comedies.

I have no idea which suspect would be said it.

Best regards,

John

R.J. Palmer
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 720
Posted on Monday, October 03, 2005 - 1:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

John--Well done. As they used to say in 'My Word', I'll give you half a mark.

And the full answer is......M.J. Druitt.

Sir Toby Belch,in Twelfth Night.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.