Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

George Yard Buildings Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » George Yard Buildings « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Apwolf

Post Number: 2357
Posted on Saturday, August 06, 2005 - 4:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Found this interesting little fracas from November 1886 involving number 36 George-Yard-buildings, next door of course to the site of Martha Tabram’s murder; and I feel it does offer a particularly unique insight into the mentality of the local roughs and toughs when it came to the treatment of the female species of Whitechapel.

An unnamed female is violently and viciously attacked, beaten and kicked by a male in the company of another woman.
A Mrs. Gladwin, who is passing by, attempts to save the female but is in turn so badly beaten that she ends up in the London Hospital for the night.
When PC Robinson - 36H - attempts to save Mrs. Gladwin he is set upon by a massive gang of 100 local roughs at the behest of the woman who is assisting in the vicious assaults.

I believe such a case must give us all pause for thought about the attitudes of the men who claim witness to the crimes of Jack the Ripper, for it is obvious in this case that if PC Robinson had not just happened along at the right moment then two women may well have been killed on that November night.
It is not hard to imagine that then the roughs may well have dragged the bodies into the nearest yard or building and left them there.
Something about this case tells me that it is very important in terms of our understanding of the ascribed crimes to Jack the Ripper.

George Hutchinson
Chief Inspector
Username: Philip

Post Number: 618
Posted on Sunday, August 07, 2005 - 5:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi AP.

This is a 'wonderful' insight and truly chilling. It brings to mind those nature programmes where some injured prey is suddenly set upon by the whole pack once it is felled. Not that I suspect 100 people stopped the Ripper being discovered.

Isn't is amazing the duplicity of people?

PHILIP
Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd!

Howard Brown
Chief Inspector
Username: Howard

Post Number: 778
Posted on Sunday, August 07, 2005 - 9:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A.P. and Phil...

Sure looks like having the surname "Robinson" was unlucky if you were on the Police Force.

This reminded me of the J.C. "Charley" Robinson who was nearly killed while on duty in women's clothing a week or so after "The Double Event".

So there were "wildings" in Whitechapel,huh?

(Message edited by howard on August 07, 2005)

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2360
Posted on Sunday, August 07, 2005 - 7:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks chaps.
That 100 roughs could assemble at such short notice to protect a man who had just viciously attacked two women does speak volumes about the characters we are dealing with in the Jack story; and quite frankly after reading this account I am very dubious about many of the witness statements in the Whitechapel Murders... Hutchinson springs to mind straight away.
Need to look for more information on this though.
Ah, if I had but the time!
Just walked in the door and it's almost midnight.

Belinda Pearce
Sergeant
Username: Belinda

Post Number: 40
Posted on Sunday, August 07, 2005 - 7:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's a sad comment on human nature

George Hutchinson
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 763
Posted on Thursday, September 29, 2005 - 2:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think I may have uncovered a hitherto unknown representation of George Yard Buildings.

It is a shot from TOYNBEE HALL - THE FIRST HUNDRED YEARS which, I may say, has NOTHING on the building bearing in mind its connections.

However, there is an image of a function in the courtyard and on looking at my 1894 map, it appears to be taken from the South, which would mean the back of George Yard Buildings is on the right hand side.

Enjoy.

yard1

yard2

PHILIP

Phil Hill
Chief Inspector
Username: Phil

Post Number: 952
Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 1:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Philip

Do we know the date of the photo - by the style of dress looks 20s?

Phil

Edited to add - Good find!!

(Message edited by Phil on September 30, 2005)

George Hutchinson
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 766
Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 4:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Phil - sadly no date. It is the 20s or 30s judging by the section of the book it is in, but I can't say owt beyond that.

PHILIP

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 2832
Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2005 - 3:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just been reading a report from the 1830's which mentions a notorious brothel situated at George Yard, Whitechapel.
Hadn't seen that before.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.