Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Plz Help Me!!!!!!!!!!! ASAP Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Plz Help Me!!!!!!!!!!! ASAP « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

JamesH
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, May 02, 2005 - 7:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

can you please post me some messages (answers) for this question
why were the police unable to catch jack the ripper
thanks J}

Andrew Spallek
Chief Inspector
Username: Aspallek

Post Number: 800
Posted on Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 8:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

James,

If you browse around this website you will find several answers to your question. If this is a school assignment, I'm afraid you are going to have to learn how to do research rather than simply to ask others for answers.

I'll be happy to help you clarify things if I can once you have done your research but I will not give you the answers. [I presume your teacher requires appropriate footnotes and bibliography, anyway].

You know what? You're capable of helping yourself on this one rather than having to plead with others for answers!

Andy S.

(Message edited by Aspallek on May 03, 2005)

George Hutchinson
Inspector
Username: Philip

Post Number: 497
Posted on Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 8:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi James.

I'll take a middle ground here. I agree with Andy you have to work it out for yourself, but as you have taken the initiative to ask I can't see that giving some pointers can be of any harm.

Try these on for size :

Forensic science in 1888, the relationships between the various police forces, the very nature of serial killers...

Hope that points you towards further research without handing it to you on a plate.

Anyone else want to chip in?

PHILIP
Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd!

Howard Brown
Inspector
Username: Howard

Post Number: 365
Posted on Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 9:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

James, my man....why I'd be happy as your pappy to do that.

These two gents above don't know how to make a buck....I do.

Send me er...50 bucks...and Honest How "The Answer Man " will be glad to assist you.

That 50 bucks is a cheap date...two cases of beer and a blunt...some new sneakers for gym that you don't really need.

Really want that help,huh?....How bad?

Seriously,homes.....thats too hard of a question and these two gentlemen above have given the honest [ yuck ! ] appraisal of what you need to do.

But I will take your cash. Thats' a no-brainer...take it from a no-brainer....

Need a bridge?

How

Donald Souden
Chief Inspector
Username: Supe

Post Number: 538
Posted on Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 9:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Since even today serial killers often elude apprehension for years, even with the many advances in police science in the past century, the answer may be that given a modicum of cunning and determination and a lot of luck the advantage may always lie with the killer. Today, if they finally find a suspected serial killer DNA evidence will usually provide the evidence for a conviction -- but until then modern policemen don't do much better than those in 1888.

Don.
"He was so bad at foreign languages he needed subtitles to watch Marcel Marceau."

Phil Hill
Inspector
Username: Phil

Post Number: 434
Posted on Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 5:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

James, I have bumped anopther recent thread on a similar subject.

In that, I was critical of an essay written on this subject because it so signally failed to understand the period and how different 1888 was to 2005, patronised the police of the day and missed many key points and issues.

You can read my thoughts in the other thread, but as highlights:

20/20 hinsight is a wonderful thing.Given the technology and knowledge we have today the police MIGHT catch JtR. But in 1888 things were different, there was little scientific infrastructure such as finger-printing or DNA tests, to help the police. Remember that.

It is easy to criticise the 1888 police for a lack of imagination. But they did use bloodhounds, which was highly innovative. The fact that the experiment didn't work is no reason to criticise.

So far as effort is concerned, it seems to me that Abberline, from what we know, went to huge lengths to follow up leads and to check things out.

Two key issues are:

a)the question of whether a reward should have been offered earlier and the reasons for not doing so;

b) the question of relations between press and police which led to little accurate information getting to the public and much speculation and inaccuracy in reporting. But there is a case for the met having taken the line they did too.

Please try to avoid the pitfalls into which Bethany fell (see other thread).

Sincerely,
Phil

Ally
Chief Inspector
Username: Ally

Post Number: 926
Posted on Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 5:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Phil,

You want to know why there is such a deplorable decline in writing, reasoning ability and overall standards?

It's because nowadays, kids come on message boards and get others to do their homework for them.

Cheers,

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Severn

Post Number: 1876
Posted on Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 7:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

James H

The victims came from the wrong side of the tracks

Natalie

Phil Hill
Inspector
Username: Phil

Post Number: 444
Posted on Thursday, May 05, 2005 - 1:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Natalie, certainly after Chapman, I don't think that was relevant.

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Severn

Post Number: 1877
Posted on Thursday, May 05, 2005 - 12:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Phil,
Its always relevant! But I do agree that much bigger efforts were made after Mrs Chapman"s murder.
Natalie

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.