Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Jacks the Ripper and the Tipping Point Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Jacks the Ripper and the Tipping Point « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Diana
Chief Inspector
Username: Diana

Post Number: 573
Posted on Saturday, April 16, 2005 - 9:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://www.gladwell.com/tippingpoint/ This is the link to a website describing a new bestselling book, the Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell. It describes how ideas and behaviors can spread through a population much like an epidemic. It would support the theory of not one Jack but many. The first Jack could well have been Pizer. The fact that he was locked up for a subsequent killing does not exhonerate him if Gladwell is right.

Caroline Anne Morris
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Caz

Post Number: 1641
Posted on Sunday, April 17, 2005 - 8:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Diana,

I actually wondered quite a while ago whether the horrific murders of first Emma Smith and then Martha Tabram could have acted as a spur: 'Jack's' final incentive to go to work in Whitechapel. The precedent was set, giving him all the encouragement or permission he needed to get ripping.

Love,

Caz
X

Glenn G. Lauritz Andersson
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Glenna

Post Number: 3390
Posted on Sunday, April 17, 2005 - 10:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Might not be that surprising to many, but I can very much go along with these ideas.
I would say they sound quite sensible and probable.

All the best
G. Andersson, author/crime historian
Sweden

The Swedes are the men That Will not be Blamed for Nothing

Diana
Chief Inspector
Username: Diana

Post Number: 574
Posted on Sunday, April 17, 2005 - 5:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If its true its kind of sad in a way. We all have spent years trying to unmask someone who wasnt there. The Whitechapel prostitutes all pointed the finger at Pizer and since they were so close to the situation, I tended to take them seriously, but when it turned out he was locked up during a subsequent killing I dismissed him. He could conceivably have done Nichols and Chapman. Stride and Eddowes were probably done by the same person as the descriptions match, and the best candidate for Kelly is of course Joe Barnett.

Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3392
Posted on Sunday, April 17, 2005 - 6:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, Diana, these ideas are not totally new but they have created a more solid interest in later years.

As for Pizer, I don't think he had anything to do with either Chapman and Eddowes, and probably not Nichols either. In my mind, they were most likely murdered and mutilated by the same the killer, and Pizer had a clear alibi for the Chapman murder.
He can't be ruled out concerning Millwood and Tabram, though,

As for Emma Smith, much points at her being killed by a gang, not a lone perpetrator.
Sweden

Jeff Leahy
Detective Sergeant
Username: Jeffl

Post Number: 70
Posted on Monday, April 18, 2005 - 8:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Glen

Sorry to change subject but I know the murder MO is something you have some knowledge and interest in. Having come across your Tabram arguments.

I've recently been working on the 60's Hammersmith murderers. Please check Jack the Stripper thread.

What interested me about the case was the very differant MO of the eight victims which varies from drowning, to suphocation, to stranglation.

Just wondered if you new anything about the case and whether you have any veiws.

Sorry to interupt.

Jeff

Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3393
Posted on Monday, April 18, 2005 - 9:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jeff,

No I don't, but then it is quite common with serial killers who change MO from murder to murder; I think the Zodiac also did this to a large extent.
In the Ripper's case, we do have at lest three victims with an MO and signature that is pretty much similar and consistent, which in my mind must force a researcher to look at the others with a great deal of doubt and open-mindness before you attribute them to a series and not just take the "evolution" thing for granted as a rigid truth. Not to mention study the circumstances around them as well.

In my mind, it is quite possible that the murders of Tabram, Millwood (both possibly client-related) and Smith (possibly gang-related) might have influenced the Ripper into setting his fantasies into actions. At least it is an idea worth considering.

All the best
Sweden

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.