Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Duke of Westminster Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Duke of Westminster « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Apwolf

Post Number: 1930
Posted on Saturday, April 02, 2005 - 4:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was surprised to find that many of the brothels and common lodging houses of the East End were actually owned by the Duke of Westminster in the LVP, and am hoping that others may have more information on this.

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 4344
Posted on Saturday, April 02, 2005 - 4:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

AP, the Duke of Westminster owns huge chunks of London now, doesn't he?

Robert

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1931
Posted on Saturday, April 02, 2005 - 4:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not sure, Robert, as I tend to live in the LVP these days. I was interested though because Inspector Chisholm seemed to be acting as the Duke of Westminster's un-official agent in the cleansing of his multiple brothels and lodging houses.
The East End was a much smaller place then.
I've found our good Chisholm involved in what could be a dummy run for the TTC case in 1891 in 1886 but I'll post that when sober- erano.

Phil Hill
Inspector
Username: Phil

Post Number: 312
Posted on Saturday, April 02, 2005 - 4:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The "Grosvenor Estate" (the name of the Duke's of Westminter's estates based on their family name) are mainly in the west End - Belgravia (its heart), Mayfair, Pimlico etc. But that is NOT to say that they might not have owned 9and may still own) tracts of land elsewhere in London. I'd be VERY surprised if they didn't.

Phil

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 4345
Posted on Saturday, April 02, 2005 - 5:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

AP, Chisholm was involved in a couple of interesting items, I remember - he had a spat with Baxter, and another item revealed that there was some uncertainty, just before 88, about what to do with wandering lunatics.

Robert

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1932
Posted on Sunday, April 03, 2005 - 1:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes Robert
that was 'The Murder and Suicide at Walworth', Dec 28th 1886, which did have reminders of the THC arrest and trial.
Chisholm was fluent in Gaelic so he was also useful in that regard.

Thanks Phil.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.