Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

29, Aldgate High Street Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » 29, Aldgate High Street « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Apwolf

Post Number: 1848
Posted on Sunday, March 13, 2005 - 5:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If my memory serves me correct we never did establish exactly what was at 29 Aldgate High Street, outside of which Eddowes was said to be impersonating a fire engine on the day of her arrest for drunkeness?
I do know the 'Blue Boar Inn' has been mentioned before in connection with Aldgate High Street in that general area, but I have recently found a freehold sale from 1836 offering the Blue Boar Inn for sale inclusive of numbers 30 and 31 Aldgate High Street where the Blue Boar is described as 'in front of the preceding premises', meaning numbers 30 and 31.
Does that mean the Blue Boar Inn was number 29, Aldgate High Street?

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Severn

Post Number: 1678
Posted on Sunday, March 13, 2005 - 6:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi AP
when I visited the Whitechapel Foundry and looked through a back door at some bells in the yard I noticed there was a sign up ,from many years back, by the look of its corners and shape.It said Whitechapel High Street.[I think I mentioned this on another post].This sign was placed parallel to the front entrance which is now 32 Whitechapel High Street but this was the back part of the building.When I pointed this out to the lady working in the shop she nodded and said that the numbers did change.However I still thought it odd because I had never seen parallel streets called by exactly the same name.

David O'Flaherty
Chief Inspector
Username: Oberlin

Post Number: 768
Posted on Sunday, March 13, 2005 - 6:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi A.P.

Nos. 28 and 29 Aldgate High Street were a single combined space using the address 28 Aldgate High Street. In 1888, it was a furniture shop run by Henry Phillips (he had been there since about 1870 and would still be there in 1891, so presumably he was there in 1888). See this thread for Chris Scott's census information and a post of mine reproducing Viper's brief rundown of the history of "Phantom No. 29" :-)

Cheers,
Dave

(Message edited by oberlin on March 13, 2005)

George Hutchinson
Inspector
Username: Philip

Post Number: 416
Posted on Sunday, March 13, 2005 - 8:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi AP - always wanted an opportunity to converse with you!

As you will probably know, I have worked out the site of 29 today is pretty much where the sign saying '33' is outside the current office block - only there a few hours ago!

I won this on eBay a couple of weeks ago, and I hope it is of interest. Now if something from 29 should turn up, I would be REALLY keen!

PHILIP

adkin
Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd!

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 4234
Posted on Monday, March 14, 2005 - 5:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is from the "Times" 14th April 1883 :

Robert

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 4235
Posted on Monday, March 14, 2005 - 6:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's the other Aldgate - Aldgate High St 1895 showing Adkin.

Robert

George Hutchinson
Inspector

Post Number: 418
Posted on Monday, March 14, 2005 - 6:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Robert -

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Aldgate itself isn't the relevant road here I don't think. I am sure it all relates to Aldgate HIGH STREET, just as Nats has referred above to WHITECHAPEL High Street, Aldgate High Street being between the 2 though fundamentally the same road of course (Aldgate being a short road from Leadenhall Street to Dukes Place and Aldgate High Street adjoining that and running to the east to become Whitechapel High Street - all 3 roads, though fundamentally the same one, having their own numbers - thus 28 Aldgate and 32 Whitechapel High Street have nothing to do with 29 Aldgate High Street. The TIMES cutting above proves this by saying it (Aldgate) adjoins Mitre Street, whereas 29 Aldgate High Street was beyond Aldgate tube station and almost opposite the later bus station.

Sorry if I'm stating the obvious!

PHILIP

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 4236
Posted on Monday, March 14, 2005 - 6:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes Philip, the first item relates to the "hotel Aldgate" mentioned in David's link, and the second is presumably "our" Aldgate (High Street).

Robert

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1849
Posted on Monday, March 14, 2005 - 1:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks so much for clearing that up, everybody.
I certainly didn't intend to step on any toes or impinge on others research... and I was not able to find the old thread, despite looking in every orifice!
So my apologies for being a daft old sod.
As Philip points out, unless one is actually on the ground there can be a good deal of confusion in regard to this particular area of Whitechapel, so thank heavens we have a few troops on the ground out there.
The bill of sale from the Tobacco Manufacturer was interesting too, Philip, for it still uses the seal of the Blue Boar Inn in 1894.
Isn't their other logo the modern logo of B.A.T.?
Thanks for all that.

David O'Flaherty
Chief Inspector
Username: Oberlin

Post Number: 769
Posted on Monday, March 14, 2005 - 1:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi A.P.

"unless one is actually on the ground there can be a good deal of confusion in regard to this particular area of Whitechapel"

You're telling me! Between the ghost of old 29, Aldgate High Street and Aldgate Street, it's a wonder PC Robinson was able to find Kate in the first place. It's typical that out of the whole street, she'd be in front of the difficult address.

Cheers,
Dave

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Suzi

Post Number: 2201
Posted on Monday, March 14, 2005 - 2:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gawd AP!........... LAWD LUV us I say!!!!!! Last time I was there about 3 weeks ago the 'site' of 29 is SPURIOUS shall we say....think it is Aldgate High St tho.....didnt get that fire engine moment in Whitechapel High St!!!!!!
Suzi

Suzi Hanney
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Suzi

Post Number: 2202
Posted on Monday, March 14, 2005 - 2:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Get em in a lot of other places though......and we still have a sooooooper Safeways here!!!!!!!

Love (slurp!)

Suzi

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chris

Post Number: 1789
Posted on Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 8:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi AP
This extract from 1861 census may be of interest:
1861 Census
29 30 And 31 Aldgate High Street St Katherine Cree Aldgate London London City
Transcription details for: 29 30 And 31, Aldgate High Street, St Katherine Cree, London
National Archive Reference:
RG number: RG09 Piece: 229 Folio: 22 Page: 11

Reg. District: London City Sub District: London City North East
Enum. District: 10 Ecclesiastical District:
Parish: St Katherine Cree City/Municipal Borough: London

Address: 29 30 And 31, Aldgate High Street, St Katherine Cree, London

Name Relationship to Head of H'hold Condition Sex Age Profession/Occupation, Disability Where Born

LONSDALE, Henry Son Unmarried M 18 Drapers Assistant City Of London
FREDERICK, George Assistant Unmarried M 36 Drapers Assistant Whitby Yorkshire
ELDRIDGE, Allen Assistant Unmarried M 33 Drapers Assistant Battle Suffolk
..., William Assistant Unmarried M 29 Drapers Assistant Toppesfield Essex
HENNE, Jacob Assistant Unmarried M 23 Drapers Assistant Grimston Northumberland
FUSON, John Assistant Unmarried M 19 Drapers Assistant Wickham Bishops Suffolk
WORTHINGTON, Henry ... Unmarried M 19 Drapers Assistant Haxton Middlesex
..., George ... Unmarried M 14 Drapers Assistant Sudbury Suffolk
THAIR, Thomas Porter Unmarried M 18 Porter London Middlesex

George Hutchinson
Inspector

Post Number: 427
Posted on Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 9:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Robert Clack, we need you!!!

I found this smashing (expensive) item on eBay tonight. Aldgate High Street, 1871. Now, THE TURK'S HEAD public house is clearly seen here. It is a long shot, but it is possible we might finally have a view of #29 here if it is the correct side of the street. I can't pick out any landmarks to tell us.

Any enlightenment?

PHILIP

Aldgate High Street

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1866
Posted on Friday, March 18, 2005 - 1:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Chris & Philip
Both those items are of vital interest, the census information would seem to indicate that with so many drapers about 29 Aldgate High Street was a Drapery at that time... rather than a furniture store/warehouse.
The postcard is a real find, I'm going to copy it and see if I can't study the detail.
My sincere thanks chaps!

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chris

Post Number: 1795
Posted on Friday, March 18, 2005 - 1:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi AP
Here is the entry from 1861 showing address and names:
ahs29

Robert Clack
Chief Inspector
Username: Rclack

Post Number: 514
Posted on Friday, March 18, 2005 - 6:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi

The Turks Head was on the South side of Aldgate High Street near the junction with the Minories.

This is the only picture I have which covers the relevant part of Aldgate High Street, taken c1905. The location of No 29 is roughly where the Telegraph? poles are on the roof tops.

Just a note which may or may not be connected. "The Three Nuns" hotel on the left is where Albert Bachert in early October 1888, claimed to have met a mysterious man who had a hatred of prostitutes.

Rob

George Hutchinson
Inspector

Post Number: 430
Posted on Friday, March 18, 2005 - 7:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rob - WOW WOW WOW!!! You told me this wasn't very good quality; it's GREAT!

It is also a great relief to know that I have exactly the right spot when I stop with my tour groups to relate the Robinson tale and make two of them read out the exchange between CE and Hutt.

For people who go to the area, 29 was pretty much exactly where the large free-standing illuminated sign is saying '33' today.

29 AHS

PHILIP

George Hutchinson
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 762
Posted on Thursday, September 29, 2005 - 2:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A curious one here maybe needing the ministrations of a certain Mr Clack.

I bought this original photo of Aldgate Bus Station dated 10th October 1959 but I can't get my bearings.

Which side of this shot is Aldgate High Street - or is it behind the photographer?

aldgate1

PHILIP

Robert Clack
Chief Inspector
Username: Rclack

Post Number: 659
Posted on Thursday, September 29, 2005 - 3:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Phil,

I think, but I am not 100% certain. Aldgate High Street is behind the photographer.

Rob

John Savage
Chief Inspector
Username: Johnsavage

Post Number: 501
Posted on Thursday, September 29, 2005 - 8:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Philip,

Aldgate bus staion was on the opposite side of the road to the Underground stations. I am afraid I cannot remember trolley buses there, but the number 25 bus (pictured)used to run from Ilford to Aldgate and then on, I think to Victoria.

I would guess that the picture was taken from the side of the road were the tube stations are.

Rgds
John

George Hutchinson
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 765
Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 4:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello John. Thanks for that - I have no problem with the location, it is the direction I'm unsure of. I had always thought that it was The Minories running off on the right hand side, but of course, it COULD be Aldgate High Street as well. I think it is going to need me going around with the photo to check the line of the roofs, presuming they are still there. Now, when could I do that....? Hmm... tomorrow!

PHILIP

John Savage
Chief Inspector
Username: Johnsavage

Post Number: 503
Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 10:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Philip,

I would guess that it is either Minories or Mansell Street running off the right hand side. As I recall the bus upon which I used to travel came along Whitechapel Road and turned left into the bus station. This was way back in the 1950's and of course the area has changed somewhat since then, so good luck in checking out the roof lines.

Rgds
John

George Hutchinson
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 767
Posted on Saturday, October 01, 2005 - 8:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I HAVE THE ANSWER!

Today before the WS1888 meeting I went up to the area with my camera and the photograph.

The location is indeed as I had suspected - from Aldgate High Street with The Minories running down the right hand side.

Firstly, I noticed a curious thing. The dark brick building actually on the site on the right has had a lot added to it in the last 46 years - yet up close there is nothing obvious at all. It is the same dark colouring, no obvious joins, but compare the 2 shots and see how different it is.

sitetoday

Notice two other things - firstly, how incredibly unrecognisable the whole place has become in just 46 years, and secondly what the only touchstone building is - in the distance there is a white building in The Minories; the only one which is largely unaltered from that time.

then now

The riddle is solved.

PHILIP

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.