Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

New BBC Ripper Drama starring Shane R... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » New BBC Ripper Drama starring Shane Richie! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Joan Taylor
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, February 04, 2005 - 11:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A new BBC Investigative Ripper Drama is announced, starring members of the EastEnders cast. Shane Richie is to play Abberline! The filming is announced.
I expect that the BBC are likely to film alternatives to the Royal Conspiracy Theory.

The announcement can be found on AOL and runs as follows:

Shane Richie for Ripper drama?
Friday, January 21 2005, 14:59 GMT -- by Daniel Saney

EastEnders actor Shane Richie is reportedly in talks to appear in a BBC drama about the hunt for Jack the Ripper.

Richie, who is taking a year off from playing Alfie Moon in the soap, is potentially taking the role of detective Abberline in the Victorian period drama.

Filming of the big-budget programme would begin in 2006. The series will have eight episodes and costing over £1 million per show will be the BBC's most expensive in 10 years, reports The Sun.

A source at the BBC told the newspaper: "Shane is in talks to play Fred Abberline. It’s one of a number of projects we are talking to Shane about.

"It would be filmed during the year we expect him to take off. Until then he’s an important part of EastEnders as Alfie Moon."

It may well be very helpful to us researchers to have this filmed at this time. In the past, Investigative Dramas have always preceeded interest in new theories.

Regards, Joan.

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 4051
Posted on Tuesday, February 08, 2005 - 5:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Eastenders cast? Blimey, everyone will be so depressed, the prostitutes will disembowel themselves.

Robert

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chris

Post Number: 1685
Posted on Tuesday, February 08, 2005 - 5:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Eastenders do the Ripper story?
I hate to prejudge but God help us all! Mind you, if Eastenders storylines are anything to go by, Jack won't have to bump any of them off, they'll have beaten him to it!
Please tell me Cat Slater is not going to play Mary Kelly.....
I need a drink!
Chris

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 1822
Posted on Wednesday, February 09, 2005 - 5:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jessie Wallace (Kat Slater) she would fit in it.

Do you not think Chris?

In fact the actresses who play the Slaters could play all the victims.

Jenni

Chris Phillips
Chief Inspector
Username: Cgp100

Post Number: 682
Posted on Wednesday, February 09, 2005 - 5:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jenni

I think there could be some mileage here!

What about Pam St Clements (Pat) and Laila Morse (Big Mo) as Martha Tabram and Pearly Poll?

Chris Phillips

Jeff Leahy
Police Constable
Username: Jeffl

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, February 09, 2005 - 5:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi

I spoke to the BBC press office last week who confirmed that they are in discussions. However I could get no firm information or likely time period for this project. If any body has any more info however I'm very interested in finding out projected broadcast dates.

Many thanks

Jeff

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1824
Posted on Wednesday, February 09, 2005 - 7:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Adam Woodyatt (Ian beale) as George Hutchinson.
James Alexandrou(Martin Fowler) as Mathew Packer.

someone out of Brookside as James Maybrick!

Chris Phillips
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 683
Posted on Wednesday, February 09, 2005 - 7:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jenni

Yes - I think I see where you're coming from - the voyeur and the fruit and veg salesman ...

I think I have to quibble with the Slater sisters as the victims (maybe with the exception of Kelly). I'm thinking more Wendy Richard, June Brown, Barbara Windsor ...

Chris Phillips

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1827
Posted on Wednesday, February 09, 2005 - 9:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wendy Richards would make a great Catherine Eddowes.

Jeff Leahy
Police Constable

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, February 09, 2005 - 11:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry to disagree jeni but Cathrine was more Dot Cotton, in a physical sence.

Jeff

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1832
Posted on Wednesday, February 09, 2005 - 11:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jeff,
who said it had to be historically accurate!

Jenni

Richard Brian Nunweek
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Richardn

Post Number: 1327
Posted on Wednesday, February 09, 2005 - 4:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
I hope it is not a remake of 'From Hell' if it is to cost approx 8 million which is a considerable amount of money, i sincerley hope they conscript researchers that know this subject inside and out , with a fresh view and approach.
If you are listening BBC, i employ you make whatever interpretation you have in mind as accurate as is possible, so that everybody viewing which i am sure will be vast, has a true insight into the case.
And not go away with the vision of past decades of Tv Drama.
Richard.

Chris Phillips
Chief Inspector

Post Number: 687
Posted on Wednesday, February 09, 2005 - 4:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If this report from Sky News is anything to go by, it's going to be as inaccurate and unhistorical as you like:
Writers apparently want to show the darker side of opium-addicted Inspector George Frederick Abberline, with him falling into depression under his workload.
http://tinyurl.com/5w48s
[board software mangles the actual link, because it contains a comma!]

It sounds like the BBC copying Hollywood, copying the worst Ripper "faction", which to be fair the BBC must take its share of the blame for in the first place.

Chris Phillips

Richard Brian Nunweek
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Richardn

Post Number: 1329
Posted on Wednesday, February 09, 2005 - 4:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris,
I have just read the article, 'Oh Dear' when will we get a realistic account of these crimes?.
Richard.

Jeff Leahy
Police Constable

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, February 10, 2005 - 7:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Surely your not suggesting, jeni, that anybody in TV would do anything other than pay total attension to historical detail. Your all so sinical.

OK so you've already sussed that a BBC drama of this size will be pooh...that really isn't the point. What it does mean is that it will increase public awareness increasing veiwing figures on the subject. This means all channels will be re-running Ripper related programmes and who knows commissioning some new ones, which is why it is an important window if you do wish to do something serious. Usual it works by commisioning editors looking up aniversaries on a given subject, which is why you suddenly get alot of programming on one subject on all the channels at once.

Its not the series itself that is important but the potential for spin off doc's to accompany it. Thats how tele works.

Jeff

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1849
Posted on Thursday, February 10, 2005 - 7:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Suggesting?

no never suggest anything, that's the best way to avoid disappointment!

of course we would like something good to come of it.

something like the real Inspector Abberline!

thats my idea BBC!

Jenni

Joan Taylor
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, February 09, 2005 - 9:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris, you made me laugh out loud with your quote and despair. Abberline the wrecked opium fiend.
(what do you mean- take some of the blame? All of it more like.) But don't you think that this time it looks like the BBC are going to try and be 'earthy'...? There will be a psychopath, and it will be 'moody '. I can feel myself cringing already.
Eastenders cast.
Shane Richie.
Can't you see it? Reid , they'll recast as 'DI Blunderstock' and he'll be debating Modus Operandums "MO's" , smoking a pointedly large pipe and Shane Richie will be clasping his brow in his hand and shaking his head from side to side in that dribbly 'sadness' he does. 'wha, wah...wha....' The women will be overworking their outcast status and accents, really 'in yer face', and one might just be persuaded to believe they're standing in front of Walter Sickert's paintings.
Crii--iii---iinge!
The BBC are spending eight million on 'getting it right', folks.
Groove on.
Forgive me Americans who don't have to put up with BBC pseudo-intellectuals all week, day in, day out, with no letup whatsoever.
(Jese we're giving them a really hard time aren't we.)

mrgiles1968
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, February 10, 2005 - 1:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hasn't Babs Windsor played a Ripper victim in a film before? Unless my memory fails me, she was in 'Time After Time', playing a victim at the beginning of the film before Jack (David Warner) travels to the present day in HG Wells' time machine. (Sounds awful, but was actually quite a good movie).

Tony Rutherford
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, February 09, 2005 - 3:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello all,

June Brown, (Dot Cotton) has already been a Ripper Victim, as has Barbara Windsor, in Murder by Decree and A Study in Scarlet respectively, both as Annie Chapman, if memory serves me right. Perhaps there'll be a catfight in the Vic to sort out who gets to play her again,
Tony

Joan Taylor
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, February 09, 2005 - 12:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jenny,
an astute point there........
I am starting to wonder whether this project is being designed to restore BBC reputations over the ailing soap. Perhaps BBC people want to show they can 'do the east end.' A point of BBC pride?
The again I really don't mind, my guess is it will be another blip like From Hell. People aren't too impressionable these days.
Be careful girls and boys as they will be after your theories?
x

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1870
Posted on Saturday, February 12, 2005 - 12:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

of course I haven't even consider which extra would play Robert Lees (yes extra its not a very big part, sorry Robert!)

Stef Kukla
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, August 05, 2005 - 1:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Should they even BOTHER with Lees? "Records" detailing his "involvment" are spotty at best. In all honesty, aside from a couple of entries in his diary [something like: "Had vision - told police - was called a fool - etc"] is there really ANY evidence of his participation?

Anyway, if they want the best production possible, they should get Philip Sugden to write it [or AT LEAST read his book].

Furthermore, if they feel inclined to reproduce the streets in detail, they would have to avoid repeating the Hughes Bros' mistakes.

I mean HONESTLY!!...To balls-up the layout of Miller's Court the way they did, they can't have had more than one drawing and [possibly] one photo, for reference.

Shocked & appalled was I that both Stewart Evans AND Keith Skinner missed that one.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.