Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Suspects and Police colour ups and re... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Suspects and Police colour ups and reconstructions « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through February 03, 2005Glenn L Andersson50 2-03-05  9:52 am
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jane
Inspector
Username: Jcoram

Post Number: 236
Posted on Thursday, February 03, 2005 - 10:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HI All,

Hand colouring was actually used right up until the advent of computers. I was rummaging through the cupboard the other day and found some colouring inks for photos from the 1970's. Photo retouching and colouring was certainly alive and well up until the 1980's and photo retouchers/ colourizer's made an absolute fortune!

It was only the computer that made it die as an art form. Pity in some ways it was better before these horrible things came along, but then without them I wouldn't be talking to you now!

Jane

xxxxxx

David Hunt
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, February 03, 2005 - 2:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi to everyone.Yes certainly hand colouring is alive and well, having worked in the photographic industry in NewZealand many years ago.Colour retouching is used mainly these days to cover up flaws.My own father during the second world war, was based in India for some time, and he used to colour his own photos he used to send to mum.The colouring process is quite amazing.It consisted of what looks like postage size peices of paper,perforatted so as to tear easily,than that is put into a small dish and a small amount of water is added.This is then applied to the photo and left to dry.When dry the photo is then exposed to steam to 'set' the colour,this way multiple layers can be built up,slow but very beauiful.The colour dyes were put out by the Technicolour company i think during the late 30's or early 40's.I still have them at home as a momento of dads time he spent in India.By the way true colour film emulsions came out in 1939 and it was Kodachrome.
Cheers to all from the other side of the planet.Regards David

Jane
Inspector

Post Number: 247
Posted on Sunday, February 06, 2005 - 1:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HI All,

Here's Tumblety. I didn't enjoy doing him at all, made me feel really peculiar. Not a nice chap.

I couldn't do much better I'm afraid with the silly little illustration, but it gives the idea...

Tumblety

Natalie Severn
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Severn

Post Number: 1569
Posted on Sunday, February 06, 2005 - 2:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Excellent work as always Jane.The colour ups give the characters such life and reality.
Natsxxx

Lindsey Millar
Inspector
Username: Lindsey

Post Number: 279
Posted on Sunday, February 06, 2005 - 5:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jane, as Nats says, this is excellent!

It totally looks like Tumblety! I bet even Stewart would be proud of you!

I have to ask.. are you gonna do Druitt any time soon? Sorry to hassle you, but my cat, Monty, would really like to see his namesake!

Keep 'em comin', woman!

Lyn
"When a man grows tired of London, he grows tired of life" (or summat like that)

Jane
Inspector

Post Number: 249
Posted on Sunday, February 06, 2005 - 5:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Lindsey,

Thanks for the comments, he was hard to do, I couldn't get enthusiast about him at all, but there you go. Very creepy fellow.

I've started Druitt, I was a bit worried about posting too many as people would get sick of it, so I've been holding back. They're piling up a bit at this end, but it you want Druitt, I'll post 2 shots tomorrow and I can blame you if people say 'Oh no not again!'

lots of love

Jane

xxxxx

Sir Robert Anderson
Inspector
Username: Sirrobert

Post Number: 218
Posted on Sunday, February 06, 2005 - 5:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"It totally looks like Tumblety! I bet even Stewart would be proud of you! "

Wow. Terrific work, Jane.

This reinforces one thing for sure - as much as I like Tumblety as a suspect, there's NO WAY he could have blended into the crowd.
Sir Robert
"I only thought I knew"
SirRobertAnderson@gmail.com

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Glenna

Post Number: 3072
Posted on Sunday, February 06, 2005 - 5:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Great work, Jane.

I have always found Tumblety a bit funny, though, with his oversized moustache -- hardly especially creepy, but that's just me. Like some sort of a circus artist. Somehow i have always had troubles with taking Tumblety seriously as a person -- as the trickster he was.

Now, Klosowski -- there we can talk about a character looking creepy. I don't think he was Jack the Ripper, but he sure looks like the Devil himself in my eyes.

Good luck with Monty too, Jane.

All the best
G. Anderson, author
Sweden
The Swedes are the men That Will not be Blamed for Nothing

George Hutchinson
Inspector
Username: Philip

Post Number: 327
Posted on Sunday, February 06, 2005 - 7:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jane : No doubt Stewart will like this. He rarely contributes to the message board, of course, but I know he reads them and has liked your work so far (Hi Stewart!). It's smashing, especially seeing what you had to go on.

2 things strike me : 1) He looks younger here than you'd expect him to have appeared 2) He looks like a guy (without moustache of such stature) I used to know years ago. He was a bit weird too. Maybe there is something in phrenology after all?

Glenn : You find Tumblety's moustache funny. Hmm... But not creepy. Hmm... Glenn... Unusual moustaches...

PHILIP
Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd!

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3076
Posted on Sunday, February 06, 2005 - 8:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hutch,

"Glenn : You find Tumblety's moustache funny. Hmm... But not creepy. Hmm... Glenn... Unusual moustaches... "

Hehe... you can do wonders with moustache wax.
For the record, there exists a club in germany where the only criteria for membership is to have as large and personalised moustache as possible -- preferably waxed.
It is not exactly the Smoke and Dagger club, but from what I once saw on television, those dudes would have put Mr. Tumblety in the shade twenty times over with their remarkable facial creations.
Not a facial feature that mixes very well with drinking German beer, though -- which all too well became evident. :-)

It is hilarious stuff, but hardly creepy, in my view.

All the best
G. Anderson, author
Sweden

Jane
Inspector

Post Number: 251
Posted on Monday, February 07, 2005 - 5:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

5{ I want to know is how he managed to eat anything with that moustache, not to mention anything else. (no offense Glenn, I somehow doubt that yours is quite that culivated!)

He does look a bit young I suppose, must be all the face creams he used. Unless he had a picture in the attic.........

I'm just getting to grips with Monty Druitt. Now that was a haircut!

Jane

Jane
Inspector

Post Number: 252
Posted on Monday, February 07, 2005 - 5:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry, I don't know where the 5{ came from, I didn't even know I had one of those. Thought I'd better mention it in case you thought it was some sort of secret code. It's just me with 15 fingers!

xxxxxxxx

So that it's not a wasted post. I have nearly got Mary Kelly ready, but I'm afraid to post it in case I get bricks thrown at me. You'll either love it or hate it.

Or you might all hate it, in which case I'll cry a lot!!!!!!

(Message edited by jcoram on February 07, 2005)

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3077
Posted on Monday, February 07, 2005 - 7:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jane,

Believe you me; I would never have the patience to grow such an extreme moustache as Mr. Tumblety, and although I already stand out enough from the crowds in the streets of my town, I am not nearly half as flamboyant as our dear herbal doctor here. :-)

Wow!
So you actually did make an attempt of depicting Mary Kelly? Oh, that'll be cool.
Regardless of the result, I will personally haunt each and every one who'd throw a brick at you -- they would only dare. After all, it is only your own interpretation of her and nothing else. No one here can actually say what she looked like anyway, and therefore no one can state that your interpretation is wrong.
So go ahead, Jane!

All the best
G. Andersson, author
Sweden

George Hutchinson
Inspector
Username: Philip

Post Number: 330
Posted on Monday, February 07, 2005 - 12:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh I see, Jane. You send Glenn a preview of MJK but not me...

I see...

Right.

You're a big smelly.

And I've got to go out leading a team of ghosthunters on a walk around Hampton Court Palace (I know, isn't it a drag...) so you better not post it until 10:30pm tonight. I don't want to be at the bottom of a whole list of comments. Glenn told me what he thought about it when he saw it, and he won't be needing moustache wax for weeks as it has done it of its own volition.

PHILIP
x
Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd!

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3078
Posted on Monday, February 07, 2005 - 1:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hutch,

According to you, everyone smells. :-)

As for moustache wax... I am out of it anyway.

All the best
G. Andersson, author
Sweden

Jane
Inspector

Post Number: 253
Posted on Monday, February 07, 2005 - 2:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HI Philip,

Public apology, I should have sent you a copy too, but I thought you might be too busy and Glenn wouldn't tell me that I smelt either!

I will hold off posting Mary at 10.30 Uk time just for you and she will be posted on the Creative expression thread, with the other ladies. I thought they should all be together.

If you like her Philip, then I'll send you a high res copy as compensation for being nasty to you!!!!!

Anyway, behave yourself or I'll blackmail you with the Teddy picture.

lots of love

Jane

xxxxx

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 1298
Posted on Monday, February 07, 2005 - 2:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all

You should have seen the juggling that Tumblety used to do with that huge handlebar moustache! juggler

The curious thing is, that big whammo of a moustache in that illustration is quite different to the thin waxed muzzy he is said to have had according to the newspaper sketch of Tumblety in 1876 posted by Chris Scott--

Tumblety

Perhaps the intrepid Joe Chetcuti (Malta Joe) will be able to turf up that photograph of Tumblety we have all been looking for. Meanwhile, Jane's enhancement of the drawing with the grandioso moustache does help to bring the fellow alive. The Indian Herb Doctor in all his nefarious glory.

All my best

Chris
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 4045
Posted on Monday, February 07, 2005 - 3:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Glenn

Where's the patience in growing a big moustache? The moustache does all the work.

Robert

Maria Giordano
Inspector
Username: Mariag

Post Number: 315
Posted on Monday, February 07, 2005 - 3:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've said it before and I'll say it again, that picture of "Tumblety" above is really Vlad the Impaler in Victorian duds.
Mags

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3079
Posted on Monday, February 07, 2005 - 3:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's just it, Robert...
It would be less slow and boring if the moustache didn't do all the work. :-)

Chris,
I've tried that pointed "thin waxed muzzy" myself when mine were longer. That is the easiest one, and I can tell you, that moustache on the newspaper sketch was probably rather thick and big without the wax put in, although naturally not as enormous as the one on Jane's picture. You can really shape it in any way you like (since the wax hardens in the atmosphere) and make it as pointed as you want -- I once nearly punctured the cheek of one of my female friends when I was giving her a hug. Not to be recommended. That's when I understood I had to cut it down a bit.
If the Ripper had that kind of moustache, he wouldn't need a knife when he committed the murders... believe you me. A lethal weapon.

All the best
G. Andersson, author
Sweden

(Message edited by Glenna on February 07, 2005)

Jane
Inspector

Post Number: 256
Posted on Monday, February 07, 2005 - 6:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here are the pics that I promised of Monty Druitt and Florence Maybrick. The originals were not really very good quality so I was a bit stuck, but as usual if I get better I will have another go.

Druitt 1

Druitt

Jane
Inspector

Post Number: 257
Posted on Monday, February 07, 2005 - 6:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's Florrie,

Flo Maybrick

Flo Maybrick 2

She does look better in colour I think.

love
Jane

xxxxx

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3082
Posted on Monday, February 07, 2005 - 6:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What???
How did you find time to do these as well???? i don't get it.

I love them all, but of the Druitt pics, especially the top one -- nice damped hand-tinted colours and very fine textures (great texture effect on his jacket with that colour).

I have actually never seen pictures of Florrie (but that is because I am not too much of a Maybrick fan); very interesting. Again, nice colours and very much breathing of life.

Great stuff, Jane. Very tasty.

All the best
G. Andersson, author
Sweden

(Message edited by Glenna on February 07, 2005)

Brad McGinnis
Inspector
Username: Brad

Post Number: 213
Posted on Tuesday, February 08, 2005 - 12:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jane you are a very talented artist. And as an oldtimer here I can say youve breathed new life into the posts. Youre skill with the pictures of the people is uncanny and I thank you for bringing them alive. My only question is do all people in England have blue eyes? Most of my progenitors were from Ireland, and my father had brown eyes and my mother has green eyes . My eyes are greenish brown. My Ex has almost black eyes and shes Scotch/German. Both my kids have very dark brown eyes. Just a comment...Keep up the really great work!

Harry Mann
Sergeant
Username: Harry

Post Number: 11
Posted on Tuesday, February 08, 2005 - 3:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Another clue that Maybrick was the man.

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3084
Posted on Tuesday, February 08, 2005 - 4:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hahaha.
Great stuff, Harry. :-)

Case closed indeed.
Finally some relevant proof in the Maybrick debate.

All the best
G. Andersson, author
Sweden

Jane
Inspector

Post Number: 262
Posted on Tuesday, February 08, 2005 - 5:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Brad,

I was wondering myself. To be fair some of my pics have got grey eyes, but I did start to think that there was a lot of blue about.

I do use the descriptions of the people as much as it is possible. For instance Mary was supposed to have had blue eyes (I hope)
and Flo Maybrick was renowned for them.

You'll be pleased to hear that there are several brown eyed persons appearing shortly, like Ostrog for instance. I'll see if I can find some more!!!!!! Apparently blue eyes and to a lesser extent grey are the most common in Britain. Mine are very dark brown indeed so I feel vindicated!!!!

Nice one Harry, although I feel that the clock case is far too new to be genuine. Are there any scratch marks on the back? and has it been tested recently? hee hee........

Glenn, have you just got up or haven't you been to bed yet?

Jane

xxxxxx

Glenn L Andersson
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 3086
Posted on Tuesday, February 08, 2005 - 5:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jane,

I got up a few hours ago after some three hours of sleep - have some work to finish off today, but I would rather get back to sleep.

All the best
G. Andersson, author
Sweden

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 1808
Posted on Tuesday, February 08, 2005 - 6:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Harry,
you've solved it!

Seriously good pictures again guys
Jenni

mal x
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, February 06, 2005 - 6:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's George Chapman, now this illustration really is creepy to do......but he looks the same in the photos too.....it's quite hard to illustrate face on from a profile, but i think it's close...

late at night this face looks about 35 years old, especially if it was more sallow/refugee looking than i've depicted..

Tee@JtRForums
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, February 07, 2005 - 7:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Great work Jane. Hat`s off to you.

All the best.

Tee

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 1302
Posted on Tuesday, February 08, 2005 - 11:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Harry

Are you trying to tick us off???!!! lol

Chris
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info

Harry Mann
Sergeant
Username: Harry

Post Number: 15
Posted on Wednesday, February 09, 2005 - 4:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,
I bought the clock off a fellow in Liverpool some years ago.Said he also had a watch and diary,but as I had never heard of Jack theRipper,I passed up the other two items.

mal x
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, February 08, 2005 - 5:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

my George Chapman illustration is being updated, his eyes are darker, more sunken and his face far more `refugee` looking...damn it!

his eyes look like a Hyaena's, very dark and stone cold...a cruel hard face, he also had far more of a Tumblety style moustache..

sorry guys, my fault for uploading it too quickly

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.