Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Jack artefacts Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Jack artefacts « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chris

Post Number: 1654
Posted on Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 11:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is just an idle thought and of no value whatever!
In the light of the high prices some articles have sold for on Ebay in the last year or so, I was wondering which object, if it turned up, would command the highest price among Jack enthusiasts. What would an authenticated new photo of Mary Kelly be worth? How much would someone pay for a genuine photo of Abberline? What about existing artefacts - what would be the estimated current market value of the Diary, for instance?
Idle thoughts, as I said. I just wondered what possible artefact, book, diary or object, would command the highest price.
Chris

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 3977
Posted on Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 12:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris

I think an authenticated photo of Kelly would be very near the top.

Perhaps Donald Rumbelow's possible Ripper knife would be quite valuable.

Druitt's inquest papers, or a morgue shot of Druitt, likewise.

Hopefully Eddowes's kidney will not make an appearance.

As for the Diary : would it come with or without the curse?

Robert

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 1718
Posted on Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 12:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris,

first i start with a joke answer, umm let's see, something like i pay a lot for Jack the Ripper's gladstone bag complete with knives and matching top hat!

its a good job i told you that was a joke because it wasn't funny.

Now then seriuosly,
i'm surprised by how much some of that stuff went for - it's almost worth biroing JTR on some stuff and ebaying it.

i think a photo of MJK alive would be pretty much priceless.

an orignal painting by Walter Sickert must be worth a bit!!

Anyway you mentioned the D. word but you seem to have gotten away with it!

interesting,
Cheers
Jenni

ps Hi Robert our posts overlapped, cursed!nah!

(Message edited by jdpegg on January 27, 2005)

(Message edited by jdpegg on January 27, 2005)
"What d'you think about that? Now you know how I feel"

George Hutchinson
Inspector
Username: Philip

Post Number: 264
Posted on Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 12:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris - being a big eBay buyer of Ripper stuff I have a couple of things to throw in.

The most I saw a Ripper item sell for last year was £385, and that was an original FAMOUS CRIMES series from 1903.

I did actually see genuine Sickert artwork (drawings rather than paintings) on sale, but it only got bid up to £500 and that was below the reserve.

I bought a Ripper book on eBay a year ago which is the supposed only known original in the world (only available as a reprint I believe). That was into 3 figures, though I paid more for an entire bound Illustrated London News for 1888 that had been the property of the English Embassy in Hungary.

What would be worth most? Well, we have to guess at what exists and what doesn't.

I would agree that Don's 'Ripper Knife' would possibly come top, though do any of us seriously believe it is real?

Of what DID exist, the Eddowes apron would be quite high up, or the iron nameplate for Miller's Court.

Of what MIGHT exist then definitely a photo of MJK. It is very unlikely it will ever happen, but then we thought that generally, and then that photo of Annie Chapman turns up!

PHILIP
Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd!

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1655
Posted on Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 12:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the ideas folks
The Rumbelow knife I must admit hadnt occurred to me - interesting
Another one that came to mind - not that it would ever come up for sale - is what the original Dear Boss letter might be worth on the open market. Of course the Lusk letter went missing so might still be out there somewhere
Some interesting suggestions. I think any photos in life of the other victims for whom we don't have photos (Nichols, Stride, Eddowes) would be command a high value but have to agree that a Kelly photo would top them all
The nameplate for Miller's Court was an interesting idea - wonder what happened to it? As it changed its name the sign for Buck's Row would be worth a few quid too I would imagine! On that score, anyone know the exact date when the name changed? And why did that street name change but none of the others did?
Thanks again for the ideas
Chris

George Hutchinson
Inspector

Post Number: 265
Posted on Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 1:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris.

Someone like the Great (capital letter intentional!) Robert Clack could tell you the YEAR Bucks Row changed to Durward Street, but it wasn't too long afterwards. It got changed because the residents of what was, after all, not the poorest of the areas in which Jack killed, got sick of ghoulish sightseers coming round and the Postman who used to knock on the doors with 'Number 1, Murder Row, I believe?". This is much the same way that Rillington Place is now Bartle Road and there is no #10 - a gap is left between 9 & 11 even though they are different buildings, the destruction of Myra Hindley's grandmother's house in Wardle Brook Avenue, Underwood (though the street retains the name), 25 Cromwell Street...

Of course, Dorset Street was soon after renamed Duval Street so Bucks Row wasn't alone. Hanbury Street had had another name only 50 odd years before...

On the subject of street signs...

Someone on eBay was selling 'an original' signpost for Mitre Square on eBay last year with a start price of £100. They said it had come down on the early 1980s. Thankfully, I got hold of a photo of Mitre Square in 1974 and the signs were totally different. The sign looked brand spanking new, I contacted the seller - they never replied... and never sold it!

Yes, of course, the Dear Boss letter must be the most iconic Ripper item of all time.

I would be fairly sure the Miller's Court sign was dumped and trashed. I'm sure we would know by now if someone had saved it. It's amazing how some folk don't have any feelings about the locations - Winston G Ramsey in his 'East End Then & Now' photographed the spot of the PN murder at the exact time a bulldozer was ripping up the very spot. He told the driver he was erasing a bit of history and got the reply "F*** history - this is progress!".

On another tack, Ramsey now owns the gate to George Yard Buildings. He saved it in 1972 when it was being demolished and put it in his garden. I don't know if the actual gate was there in 1888 but boy would I love to have it myself! That must rank as another valuable Ripper item (as an aside, most people fail to realise a small fragment of GYB is still standing - the part of the building closest to Wentworth Street still has the front wall extending independantly down Gunthorpe Street for a couple of feet, but no one seems to realise it!).

MJK's bed? The print that hung on her wall? Any of the items found on the victims (ignoring the fake shawl of CE)? It is all subjective, of course. We also know there WAS a photo of MJK's eyes taken at Shoreditch mortuary. Probably destroyed, but you never know.

My this is fun speculation!

PHILIP

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1656
Posted on Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 1:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Philip
many thanks for the info and ideas:-)
I thought the name change from Dorset Street was quite a bit later - certainly there are press articles well into the 1900s that refer to it as Dorset Street
Yes. Ive seen the photo of the George Yard gateway - quite a large souvenir!
I didnt know the photo of Kelly's eyes was definite - I thight I'd read somehwre that it was proposed but not done. I'll try to look out the reference.
Thanks again for the notes
Chris

Phil Hill
Detective Sergeant
Username: Phil

Post Number: 76
Posted on Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 2:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'd go for Macnaghten's private papers (the private information on Druitt he said he had) or the contents of the safe, said to have been destroyed, that contained photos etc. Maybe found in a descendent's loft.

How about Robert Anderson's diary for 1888?

What if a collection of photographs were found taken by an amateur in 1888 including a batch in Crossingham's? Wouldn't we have fun trying to pick out who we knew - or might know?

Just some ideas not mentioned so far.

I like some of those mentioned. Don R's knife must be worth BIG money for museum's or rich Ripperphile's alone.

Phil

Robert Clack
Inspector
Username: Rclack

Post Number: 459
Posted on Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 2:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Philip, Chris

I'm not hundred percent certain but the year 1891 is in my head about the Bucks Row name change, I don't know why, but it was certainly prior to 1894.
Dorset Street changed between 1902 and 1908, sorry can't be more exact.

As to artifacts, I think original case papers would fetch a high sum, especial the missing suspect file.

The letter 'Polly' Nichols wrote to her father.

Catherine Eddowes shawl.

Stewart Evan's house with contents.

Rob

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 3978
Posted on Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 3:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Rob

Yes, I suppose it's the difference between official and unofficial with these street names. Certainly one can find references to Buck's Row in the "Times" into the 20th century.

AP's brandy bottles might fetch a bit but, alas, these would be without contents.

Robert

Robert Clack
Inspector
Username: Rclack

Post Number: 461
Posted on Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 4:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Robert

At least the contents went to a good home.

Rob

Robert W. House
Inspector
Username: Robhouse

Post Number: 184
Posted on Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 4:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What is this knife that Donald Rumbelow has? I have never heard of it before?

Rob

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1657
Posted on Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 4:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Rob
Re: the knife
As far as I remember - without looking it up - it originally was one of a pair in a lined box. I remember that a previous owner had used it for gardening (!) and the blade had broken. What its original provenance was and how Don came by it I can't say
One other thought with regard to case papers, another on my wish list would be the file Littlechild mentions relating to Tumblety.
Chris

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1658
Posted on Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 4:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Another interesting one would be to know what happened to Abberline's papers when he died. The Pall Mall Gazette article of 1903 includes this:
"Mr. Abberline had already covered a page and a half of foolscap, and was surrounded with a sheaf of documents and newspaper cuttings dealing with the ghastly outrages of 1888."
I have no idea what happened to his papers after his death but a buyer would sure be interested in them now!
C

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1659
Posted on Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 4:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Roeb
Here is a summary of the A-Z on the knife:
1937: knife was given to Miss Dorothy Stroud by Hugh Pollard, partner of Robert Smith, Scotland yard ballistics expert. It was one of an unbroken pair in a box lined with bloodstained velvet. Miss Stroud burned the box, gave one knife away and the second knife boke being used for gardening.
According to Francis Camps it is a 19th century post mortem knife with a thumb grip.
The knife is a surgeon's amputating knife made in the 1870's.
the authors of the A-Z suggest the knife may have belonged to Ostrog.
Hope this helps
C

Robert W. House
Inspector
Username: Robhouse

Post Number: 185
Posted on Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 5:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can anyone help me with a question on this other board:

../4924/15539.html"#DEDDCE">

George Hutchinson
Inspector

Post Number: 267
Posted on Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 6:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rob H : I have heard that Don's knife was rumoured to have been found in the backyard of 29 Hanbury Street on the day of the murder. Total tosh, of course, as we would know about it if so! I don't think (not that I can speak for him) Don has any feelings about its history, but it is trotted out every so often for journos and silly TV programmes!

PHILIP

PS : Rob C : Stewart has already said he is giving his entire collection to me (when Hell freezes over).

Sir Robert Anderson
Inspector
Username: Sirrobert

Post Number: 197
Posted on Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 8:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Something that conceivably could pop up and be of tremendous value would be the memoirs of Robert Sagar, a Detective Inspector for the City Police, and liaison with the Met during the Ripper crimes.

""Reynolds News" (15 September 1946) printed an extract from Sagar's unpublished, and now untraced, memoirs. Sagar wrote that "We had good reason to suspect a man who worked in Butcher's Row, Aldgate. We watched him carefully. There was no doubt that this man was insane, and after a time his friends thought it advisable to have him removed to a private asylum. After he was removed there were no more Ripper atrocities."

Although there are some differences this could possibly be referring to Swanson's suspect Kosminski. If this is the case it is significant because it suggests that the City Police, to which Sagar belonged, and the Metropolitan Police, to which Swanson belonged, were following similar lines of inquiry. While Sagar was probably aware of Robert Anderson's statements about the ripper being "caged in an asylum" etc he would not have known about the Swanson Marginalia which did not come to light until some 40 years after the above extract was published.

As somebody who had studied medicine, even if only briefly, and was involved in investigating the murders it would have been interesting to have known Sagar's opinions on the amount of skill displayed by the killer."

Source:

Begg, Fido, and Skinner. The Jack the Ripper A-Z.
Sir Robert
"I only thought I knew"
SirRobertAnderson@gmail.com

Paul Jackson
Inspector
Username: Paulj

Post Number: 287
Posted on Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 10:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris,

Interesting thread....What would be really cool is if someone turned up an actual Crime Scene Photo other than MJK....not that they were ever taken or anything, but just playing the what if game. I think that would be worth a few pennies.
Paul

Alan Sharp
Chief Inspector
Username: Ash

Post Number: 769
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 3:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How about any sort of independent report or private letter which confirmed the events at the Seaside Home?
"All I know of morality, I learned from football" - Albert Camus
http://www.ashbooks.co.uk/

NC
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, January 27, 2005 - 8:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris,

How about as a set:
- horseshoe stickpin
- massive gold watch chain
- seal with red stone

Then would come the easy matter of testing them for authenticity!

Neale

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1660
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 11:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Neale
What a can or worms that would open!!!
Some good ideas - thanks folks
One more I'd like to add - the Chronicles of Crime of Thomas Dutton emerging after all these years....
Any other crime scene photo would of course have quite a value. One thing that intrigues me is that the only memoirs published which mention the case are from police officials and a few others such as Le Queux . After a good number of years it must have been apparent that interest in the case was still continuing. I wonder if any of the important witnesses or friends were ever tempted to come forward into print - Hutchinson, Barnett etc. I also wonder if Abberline was ever approached to write his memoirs...
All the best
Chris

Jeff Leahy
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 10:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry to butt in.... butt.. I was told a differant story about the knife.

I was told that it had originally belonged to the police and had been taken from the rooms of a lawyer (presume Druitt) following his suicide. However the person who told me this also said that they thought this was unlikely but the knife may have had something to do with a Fanian (spell?) murderer case. What ever it had originally been an exhibbit in police hands. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Also wasnt there another knife found somewhere along the line..sure there was. Many experts I have talked to still beleive there are files and photo's waiting to re-emurge.

A copy of Kelly's Birth certificate would be my ebay bye..cheers

Jeff

Phil Hill
Detective Sergeant
Username: Phil

Post Number: 78
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 1:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is potentially a link between the Rumbelow knife and those used in the Phoenix Park murders in Dublin earlier in the 1880s. See Nick Warren's article in the Mammoth Book of JtR for the full details.

George Hutchinson
Inspector

Post Number: 273
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 7:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmm... Don's finally back doing his walks. I had a few words with him in Mitre Square tonight as we always get there at the same time. I should've asked him!

PHILIP

Lindsey Millar
Inspector
Username: Lindsey

Post Number: 262
Posted on Friday, January 28, 2005 - 9:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

Great thread, and I have to agree with the speculation about things we'd like to see - but how about letting us know of the treasures that eBay has already turned up.. I'm curious to know what others might have found on eBay so far.

For me, I guess it would be the Bryant & May tin matchbox (not empty - still has matches in it) for $3, the R Whites 'Ginger Beer' bottle, for $2 (didn't Reid work for R Whites when a lad? Or did I imagine it.. 'fraid my ex sold my "The Man Who Hunted Jack the Ripper" on eBay sometime this year) and my tobacco tin, with half a label, "Celebrating London" attached, for $1.
Probably boring stuff to the rest of you, but I love those little treasures.

So, I'm curious to know what else others have found..

Bestest,

Lyn
"When a man grows tired of London, he grows tired of life" (or summat like that)

George Hutchinson
Inspector

Post Number: 277
Posted on Saturday, January 29, 2005 - 3:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Stamped tin for Kearley & Tonge, Mitre Square for £3, 2 invoices from businesses trading from Kearley & Tonge for about £2 each, property deeds for The Horse & Leaping Bar pub opposite Castle Alley for £6, only known original copy of the Daisy Bank Publishing Tom Robinson c1928 Ripper book for £'x'. That's probably my best ones. I also own the final statement from 1679 of Lawrence Hill, executed at Tyburn with a couple of others (unjustly) for the murder of Sir Edmund Berry Godfrey, written in the condemned cell at Newgate (I suspect) the night before he died.

Got a long way to go before I beat a certain Ripperologist I can think of though!

PHILIP

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.