Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

The New York Zodiac Killer Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » The New York Zodiac Killer « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

extendedping
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, January 10, 2005 - 4:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://www.crimelibrary.com/serial_killers/weird/seda/index_1.html

I am posting this link as the case is not only interesting in its own right, but in my opinion may shed some light on the murder of Martha Tabram whom I firmly believe to be a victim of JTR.

Having lived in NYC my entire life the strange case of the New York Zodiac is one I will never forget. I just finished reading the "A Question of Motive" thread regarding poor Martha Tabram and I could not help but think of the poor lady who was killed in a similar fashion by the zodiac and how much overkill went into her slaying once his plans went awry. The article states "At 1:30 a.m., he shot her with a .22 caliber zip gun, but she got up and struggled with him. In a panic, the Zodiac stabbed her over 100 times." Now if we take Tabram as an early victim of Jack I think it is fair to say that even if he had planned on killing her silently and quickly in preparation for his mutilations, had she struggled or given any indication that she was on to him, his calculated plans may have immediately been replaced by the fear of capture and the fury of having his fantasy kill elude him. Now if the Zodiac who normally shot his vitims could act this far removed from his normal MO when confronted with the prospect of failure or capture, why is it that people can't see an inexperienced jack acting in a similar manner in an early kill? Given the time/location of Tabram's killing, along with her profession isn't it probable that she was killed the same hand that was to continue killing prostitutes in the months to come? I put Tabrams potential status as a Ripper victim only slightly below that of Stide and i think Stride has about a 85% chance of having met her fate at the hands of JRT. But thats for another thread.

Dustin Gould
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, January 12, 2005 - 10:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Extended,

You bring up a very, valid arguement.

Serial killers, whom usually subscribe to a specific method of killing, have been known to deviate from that, in the event of a panic situation (i.e. the victim not dying as expected). As a result, she cannot be completely ruled out as a Ripper victim. Not to mention, the circumstances of her death, fit those of the others (i.e. Her being intoxicated, alone, and out during the early morning hours.). She was a textbook target.

I believe people don't give much credence to her possibly being a Ripper victim, because she didn't suffer the same degree of evisceration, or organ removal, as did the others. Which, based on your arguement, means nothing in the grand scheme of things. Betting dollars to donuts, as much as the organ removal and evisceration was important to the Ripper for whatever reason, I certainly don't feel it was enough to override his fear of being caught, if confronted with a "fight or flight" situation. Which could have easily happened in the case of Tabram.

Again. You make a good point.

All the best,

Dustin Gould

Dan L. Hollifield
Sergeant
Username: Vila

Post Number: 31
Posted on Wednesday, February 09, 2005 - 3:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It might be worthwhile to re-examine her autopsy documents with an eye towards looking for defensive-type wounds. I doubt that's a new suggestion, but the above posts brought it to my mind.
Vila

Thomas C. Wescott
Inspector
Username: Tom_wescott

Post Number: 310
Posted on Wednesday, February 09, 2005 - 5:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello all,

Frances Coles' murder bears more similarity to the Ripper crimes than does Tabram, but because her murder occurred AFTER Kelly, and was not so severe, she doesn't even stir discussion.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Jennifer D. Pegg
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Jdpegg

Post Number: 1854
Posted on Thursday, February 10, 2005 - 9:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

that's because everyone assumes Kelly was a victim and the killer could only have got worse from there.

Frank van Oploo
Inspector
Username: Franko

Post Number: 484
Posted on Friday, February 11, 2005 - 7:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Extendedping,

The problem I see with what you suggest is that, according to Dr Killeen, there was no evidence of a struggle. Moreover, if a struggle would actually have taken place, it seems very odd to say the least that no one in that crowded tenement block heard the slightest disturbance during the night, certainly when one considers that sound would have been sort of captured and intensified in the indoors staircase Tabram was killed in. Even the superintendent of the dwellings and his wife, who occupied an apartment only 12 feet from the crime scene, never heard a cry that night.

With all this I'm not saying Tabram could not have been a Ripper victim, though.

All the best,
Frank
"Every disadvantage has its advantage."
Johan Cruijff

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.