Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Need help with newspaper articles! Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Need help with newspaper articles! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Adam Went
Detective Sergeant
Username: Adamw

Post Number: 134
Posted on Thursday, January 06, 2005 - 6:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello all,

Recently I have begun my first attempt at creating an article, with the ultimate hope of having it put in the Ripperologist magazine. So I decided to do the topic on something a little different from normal - Tasmanian (Yes, you read right, Tasmanian!) newspaper reports on Jack the Ripper. I've explored some library microfilm, from a few different newspapers, and come up with some interesting stuff.

Trouble is, there is a few stories in the newspapers, and 1 fairly long article in particular, which has he stumped for the most part on who and what they are referring to.

Now, without giving away too much about the article I am constructing, I would like to post up that particular article that appeared in the newspaper.

If anyone has any information at all regarding any of the events that it talks about, then please post it up. If the article manages to make it into the Rip magazine, then anyone who assists with information will get a mention in it. If it doesn't make the magazine, I will post up the completed article on the "Casebook" anyway.

So thanks greatly to anyone who can give any help and information!

This is the article, it appeared in The Tasmanian Mail on October 6, 1888:

"Scenes in the district.
-----
Chasing an American.
------

The reign of terror which has pre-
vailed in the East End since Sunday
continues, and the popular excitement
and indignation seem to be growing more
intense. The wildest rumours are con-
stantly set afloat, and extraordinary
scenes are witnessed. Just at 10 o'clock
on Wednesday night a well-dressed man
rushed out of the Three Nuns public-
house in Aldgate, followed by a woman who,
in a loud voice, declared to the loungers
and passers-by that he had molested
and threatened her. While he was thus
being denounced to the crowd, the
stranger hailed a cab, jumped in, and
proceeded to drive off. A hue and cry
was at once raised, and the vehicle was
followed by an excited mob, which rapidly
grew in numbers. It was the general
belief that the murderer who has been
terrorising the East End was the occu-
pent of the cab, and a hot pursuit was
(---). In a moment or two the cab was
stopped, and a police-constable got in,
(secured?) the man, and directed the cab-
man to drive to Leman-street police
station. Here the prisoner was formally
charged on suspicion. The cab was fol-
lowed to the station by the woman who
had raised the outcry. She stated
to the police in the most emphatic manner
that the prisoner had first accosted and
molested her in the street, and that when
she refused to accede to his proposals he
threatened physical violence. While the
woman was making her statement the pri-
soner was holding down his head and
looking on the ground, and he never once
attempted to make a remark. When,
however, a man stepped forward to cor-
roberate the girl's story, he looked up
angrily and denied the truth of the allega-
tions with considerable emphasis. The
woman was then asked if she de-
sired to make any charge, but
she declined to do so, and shortly
after left the station. It was, however,
deemed prudent by the officer in charge
to detain the man pending inquiries. He
was a determined looking fellow, apparently
about 40 years of age, with a dark mous-
tache and clearly-cut features. On his
pockets being searched no weapons of any
kind were found. He gave his name, but
refused to give his address. When re-
moved to the cell his attitude became
impudent and defiant, and in the course
of the conversation which he carried on
with a slightly American accent while
pacing up and down his place of confine-
ment, the frequency with which he
used the word "Boss" was particularly
noticed. Thus, turning suddenly to one
of the inspectors, who happened to be in
the cell at that moment, he sullenly
exclaimed, "Look here, Boss, I don't
care a ----." It is probable that no
special significance is to be attached to
the use of language such as this ; but the
police point to the fact that the word
"Boss," to judge by the now notorious
letter sent by "Jack the Ripper," is a
favourite expression with the miscreant
who has so far eluded justice. The man
is stated to have been slightly under the
influence of drink when brought to the
station. Throughout the night he main-
tained the attitude of defiance he had
from the first assumed, and little or no
information regarding his identity and
the nature of his movements could be
extracted from him. Yesterday morning
the man was discharged, diligent inquiries
by the police leading them to the con-
clusion that he was not the person
wanted.
Between 9 and 10 o'clock on the same
night another arrest was made in the
Ratcliff Highway by Sergeant Adams.
The officer hearing a woman screaming
for help in an adjoining court, proceeded
in the direction of the cries, and met a
man, who was evidently a foreigner,
leaving the place. The sergeant took the
man into custody, more especially as it
occurred to him that he bore a striking
resemblance to the published police de-
scription of the man who is said to have
been seen with "Long Liz" on the Satur-
day night preceding her murder. The
captive, who went quietly to the police-
station, told the sergeant that he was
sailing from this country for America on
the following day. At the police station
the man told the inspector in charge that
he was a Maltese, and willingly furnished
his name and address. The inquiries that
were instituted proving to be satisfactory,
the man was released in the course of the
morning.
A third arrest was made in Shadwell,
in the neighbourhood of Cable-street, and
the man brought to Leman-street. Here
he was able to give a satisfactory explana-
tion as to his identity and the other particu-
lars, and he was at once discharged.
Late last evening a man dressed in a
black suit and white Melton overcoat was
observed waiting about the entrance to
the Mission Hall Court, Shoreditch, where
a tea was being given to a number of un-
fortunate girls who are in distress owing
to the present agitation. On the police
coming up a bayonet in sheath was found
concealed under his overcoat. He said
he was looking for the murderer, and
would run him through. He was de-
tained at the Commercial-street Police-
station. He gave the name of John
Kesef Joseph.
"

Thanks again!

Regards,
Adam.
The Wenty-icator!

Diana
Inspector
Username: Diana

Post Number: 453
Posted on Thursday, January 06, 2005 - 8:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I can't answer your questions, but it is interesting that Just at 10 o'clock
on Wednesday night a well-dressed man
rushed out of the Three Nuns public-
house in Aldgate,
. Apparently it was not unheard of for dandies to be wandering Whitechapel. Lends a little more credence to Hutchinson's story.

David O'Flaherty
Chief Inspector
Username: Oberlin

Post Number: 679
Posted on Thursday, January 06, 2005 - 12:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Adam, Diana

The first story sounds like an inventive sequel to Albert Bachert's tale of meeting a shabby-genteel man in the Three Nuns (or Tuns) on 30 Sept 1888. The man was carrying a black bag and went off with a matchstick woman. See Times, 1 & 2 October.

Cheers,
Dave
PS As Don Souden recently pointed out, I would take anything written in the press (outside inquest reports) with a lot of salt.

(Message edited by oberlin on January 06, 2005)

Donald Souden
Inspector
Username: Supe

Post Number: 402
Posted on Thursday, January 06, 2005 - 3:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Adam,

My first question would be was there a byline or other attribution for the story? This could help with pinpointing a source. As it is, the story sounds like a retailing of several of the many rumors rife at the time. Indeed,even the article mentions "wildest rumors."

Certainly Dave is correct in suggesting part of it can be traced to the Bachert story about the "Three Nuns/Tuns" incident. Other elements, like the interrogation scene (to which no reporter would have been a part) are either fiction or gained fourth hand or worse (a friend of a friend whose brother-in-law is a constable overheard the sergeant saying a detective told him . . .).

What is interesting is how fast "Boss" got around the world. The Dear Boss letter was published on October 1 and by October 6 is popularly understood in Tasmania.

Anyway, while hardly in a league with the JtR newspaper experts around here, among my many sins has been several stints as a journalist so if you think there may be some practical queries on the subject with which I might help feel free to send me a personal email.

Don.
"There were only three times I'd have sold my mother into slavery for a cell phone . . . and two of those would have been crank calls."

Alan Sharp
Chief Inspector
Username: Ash

Post Number: 735
Posted on Thursday, January 06, 2005 - 3:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Adam

This was a Press Association telegraph, you will find the same story almost word for word in several other newspapers. See the St James Gazette, October 4th, in the Press Reports section for an example.
"Everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise."

Alan Sharp
Chief Inspector
Username: Ash

Post Number: 736
Posted on Thursday, January 06, 2005 - 3:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Incidentally, if you haven't already, I would suggest you get in touch with Adam Wood and let him know what you are planning. He will be able to give you advice as to their schedule/deadlines etc, and also let you know if what you are planning clashes with anything else they have in the pipeline (although I can't imagine they have too many Tasmanian articles planned!) You can reach him on contact@ripperologist.info, and he's a very nice man!
"Everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise."

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chris

Post Number: 1634
Posted on Thursday, January 06, 2005 - 3:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is actually a version of syndicated story that would have been taken direct from Uk copy. The same story can be seen in the St James Gazette, London on the 4th of October at this location:
http://www.casebook.org/press_reports/st._james_gazette/881004.html

Chris

Adam Went
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 138
Posted on Friday, January 07, 2005 - 5:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

Thank you all very, very much for everything you have contributed, it is greatly appreciated. I will browse through other Casebook press reports during the next day, to see if there is any information that links the other articles I have to them.

The most unfortunate thing about writing this article is that the newspaper with the most information in it, The Tasmanian Mail , is no longer in existence, and the others who seemingly had less information still do exist.

Anyway, that's how it goes. I will get back to you all tomorrow, and let you know if I have any more questions.

Thanks for the link, Chris, and thanks for your offer of help, Donald. I will be sure to contact you if I need to.

Thanks again all!

Regards,
Adam.
The Wenty-icator!

David O'Flaherty
Chief Inspector
Username: Oberlin

Post Number: 688
Posted on Monday, January 10, 2005 - 2:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Adam, All

Came across this transcribing the Morning Advertiser, 5 Oct 1888. Here's another account of the story you're interested in, except here it's used to dispell a rumor:

By far the most sensational feature in a night of alarms was the elaborate and detailed rumour which, traveling westward, reached the purlieus of the newspaper world just before midnight. It was alleged that at about eleven o’clock a man, believed to be the author of the diabolical outrages of Sunday last, lured an unfortunate woman into one of the side alleys off Union-street, Whitechapel, and there attempted a repetition of his revolting practices. The would-be victim, however, so the story went, was sharp enough to detect in time the glitter of a steel blade, and shrieked for assistance. The miscreant, it was alleged, took to his heels, pursued by a man and some two or three women. The male pursuer almost immediately came up with the supposed murderer, and succeeded in knocking a knife, with which he was armed, out of his hand. The man, however, evaded his grasp, darted into the roadway, jumped into a passing cab to the amazement of “cabby,” and shouted to that confused worthy to drive him “as hard as he could wherever he liked.” The cabman started off as desired, but in a moment or two his vehicle was surrounded by police and a howling mob. A constable jumped in and secured the occupant, who was driven off to Leman-street. This was the story, which turned out to be a canard. The following were the circumstances which gave rise to it. At about eleven o’clock on Wednesday night a well-dressed man walked out of the “Three Nuns” in Aldgate, followed by a woman, who shouted to those around that he had molested and threatened her in the street. While she was telling her story to a rapidly collecting crowd, the stranger hailed a cab, got in, and drove off. A hue and cry was at once raised, and the crowd rushed pell-mell after the vehicle along the Whitechapel High-street. The cab was soon stopped, and a constable entered and took the occupant to Leman-street. The woman also went to the station, and stated that the man had molested her in the street, and when she refused to have anything to do with him, had threatened her with physical violence. This statement was corroborated by a man who apparently had followed behind the couple during the altercation which took place between them, but the prisoner angrily and emphatically denied the accusation. However, he was duly charged, searched, and moved to a cell, pending inquiries. While there his attitude was one of defiance, and he declined to give the police his address. This resulted in his incarceration for the rest of the night, and it was not until half-past nine o’clock yesterday morning, by which time the police had satisfied themselves as to his identity, that he was released.

Note the absence of the American/Boss connection. I suggest if you're interested in following the incident up, that you check the Police court columns the Times printed and see if they report a similar incident.

I might have steered you wrong when I suggested a connection to the Bachert story. There were several places that answered to Three Tuns or Nuns, so we may not necessarily be talking about the same pub.

Dave

Adam Went
Inspector

Post Number: 227
Posted on Saturday, June 11, 2005 - 5:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi again all,

I'd just like to post up another thanks to everyone who helped out early on here with the newspaper articles I had.

Since then, Glenn Andersson, Don Souden and myself began an article for "Ripperologist." Unfortunately both Glenn and Don became too busy to continue, but I was lucky enough to get 2 new great co-writers in Antonio Sironi and Amanda Howard, and we completed the article.
It is called "Man of the Shadows: How Jack the Ripper fascinates the World", includes several of the newspaper articles, and should appear soon in "Ripperologist".

I also wanted to mention that because just today I've sent in the transcriptions to every article I had, 14 articles from 3 different newspapers, to Stephen Ryder for the "Press Reports" section of the Casebook, so please check them out when they're added in!

Thanks again to everyone who helped out, I've mentioned some people who helped on this thread in the acknowledgements for the article. I hope you enjoy the article when it appears, and also hope you find the newspaper articles interesting!

Regards,
Adam.
"Listen very carefully, I shall say this only once."
- Kirsten Cooke,"Allo' Allo'"

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.