Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Run and Hide, or Stay and Blend? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Run and Hide, or Stay and Blend? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Diana
Inspector
Username: Diana

Post Number: 388
Posted on Saturday, December 11, 2004 - 2:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had always pictured JTR as taking off from the scene of the crime at a dead run, and heading straight back to whatever place he lived where he would quickly dart in and hide.

But what if Long and Halse were right and that apron piece only got put there between 2:20 and 2:55? That would mean he was hanging around.

That might not be so stupid as it sounds. If there were a fair amount of people on the streets and if he could blend in, it would look a lot better than tearing down the street and drawing attention to himself. Also, he gets to watch the reaction to his handiwork. And by waiting for the excitement to die down a bit he lessens the chances of some zealous cop tailing him home.

Then I remembered the man seen at the Nichols crime scene by Patrick Mulshaw. "Another man then passed by, and said, 'Watchman, old man, I believe somebody is murdered down the street."

The A-Z says a man was seen walking up Buck's Row as Dr. Llewellen was doing his examination, possibly the same one who had accosted Mulshaw.

David O'Flaherty
Chief Inspector
Username: Oberlin

Post Number: 603
Posted on Saturday, December 11, 2004 - 2:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Diana

I don't mean to be following you around today :-) I just want to say that despite my doubts on the "hanging around" theory on another thread, that I don't think it's a stupid idea. I also agree with you that there would have no tearing down the streets.

Cheers,
Dave

Maria Giordano
Inspector
Username: Mariag

Post Number: 158
Posted on Saturday, December 11, 2004 - 3:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think it makes a lot of sense, if we think that Jack was grounded enough to be able to control himself.

I don't think the killer was a slavering maniac, but if he was a paranoid schizophrenic he would probably have been loathe to be around other people; uncomfortable around strangers. I've always imagined that he slunk away to gloat over the thrill of the murders and relive the experience. Either way,though, if he was a cold-dare I say it?- psychopath or a pathetic paranoid, he certainly could have been together enough not to call attention to himself by running or giving the appearence of fleeing.

Hide in plain sight is the way to go.
Mags

Dustin Gould
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, January 06, 2005 - 10:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I feel, even if Jack was sociopathic and mentallly grounded, he still most likely would have made a hasty exit back to his place of residence. Not necessairly running down the streets, mind you. But not exactly sticking around, either.

While the arguement could be made, that staying in the vicinity to gloat over his actions, might have absolved him of suspicion (because the police may be of the opinion, that no guilty party would be stupid enough to do so), I still think he would have followed his instincts, and fled. Just to be on the safe side. Especially if he was had suffered a degree of splatter during the process.

Betting dollars to donuts, he probably came back at a later time, to relive the moment. As many serial killers often do.

ex PFC Wintergreen
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 5:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Psychopaths are extraoridanry risk takers, and we also know of serial killers who revel in the pandemonium that they cause. So unless he was covered with blood it seems likely he would hang around or at least come back with masturbatory glee to witness a scene that only he knows he was the catalyst for.

Serial killers love the feeling of power and how more powerful would you feel than in that situation. It also give him a longer period of time to get glimpses of the dead body that he would store up and use later in his indulgences of the palm. It almost seems inconceivable that he wouldn't take these rare opportunities to add to the feeling he was God and touch himself.

Wintergreen

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.