Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Photographs of autopsy rooms - London... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Photographs of autopsy rooms - London, 1888 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

cargo
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, December 07, 2004 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello all,

I'm probably going to end up registering eventually, but I thought I'd throw out a request as a non-member.

Im after photographs/images of pathology/autopsy rooms in London around the year 1888 for a personal project I am starting. I need these images so that I can reconstruct in digital 3D the rooms where autopsies took place.

I would really appreciate any help you can offer. There will probably be more requests and info sought in the near future and I will most likely have joined by then.

Thanks in advance.

Nina Thomas
Inspector
Username: Nina

Post Number: 164
Posted on Monday, December 13, 2004 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Cargo,

Try this site.
http://www.thegarret.org.uk/index.htm

Nina

Lindsey Millar
Detective Sergeant
Username: Lindsey

Post Number: 99
Posted on Tuesday, December 14, 2004 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nina,

Thanks so much for posting this thread! Great site!
Have been hooked on it all morning!

Best,

Lyn

Nina Thomas
Inspector

Post Number: 165
Posted on Tuesday, December 14, 2004 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Lyn,

I'm glad you enjoyed it. Did you view the 47 needles in art and artifacts?

Nina

d g cornelius
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, December 13, 2004 - 11:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Inspector Thomas's site is appropriate for dissections in teaching hospitals. But keep in mind that in the 1880s autopsies of suspicious deaths often occurred in parish coroners' rooms that were essentially sheds. A good surviving example is the tiny building near St Pancras Old Church.

Nina Thomas
Inspector

Post Number: 198
Posted on Thursday, December 30, 2004 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cornelius,

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you, I have just recently noticed your post.

You are correct that most of the autopsies were conducted in sheds. Whitechapel had no public mortuary and three of the victims, Tabram, Nichols, and Chapman were brought to the dead house which adjoined the workhouse on Old Montague Street. This was a shed.

Stride was brought to St. George mortuary. Eddowes was brought to the city mortuary in Golden Lane. Kelly was brought to Shoreditch mortuary which adjoined St. Leonards Church.

I believe that by posting the site I did that it would give Cargo a better view of a dissection room for his 3D project then a mere shed.

Nina

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Apwolf

Post Number: 1655
Posted on Thursday, December 30, 2004 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think if you read the long winded court case I posted recently on the subject of 'Body Snatchers' you will find that there were open-house mortuaries, where autopsies were carried out in front of audiences who had paid for tickets.
It was much like theatre in the LVP.

Nina Thomas
Inspector

Post Number: 201
Posted on Thursday, December 30, 2004 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Ap,

I did not find your post on ‘Body Snatchers’ to be long winded at all. I found it both interesting and sad at the same time. I will be posting on that site next as I have discovered some information on the convicted.

Nina

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.