Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

The October Lull Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » The October Lull « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Diana
Inspector
Username: Diana

Post Number: 347
Posted on Monday, November 15, 2004 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There have been a lot of theories about this.

His relatives got him locked up and he escaped long enough to do Kelly before they caught him again.

He was a sailor and his ship wasnt in port then.

He was arrested for something else and locked up for a month.

He got some kind of nasty infection from pawing around inside dead bodies and was sick for a month.

The increased patrols, vigilance committee, etc scared him off for a month.

Is there a way to see if there were atrocities anywhere else in England during that month?

Lindsey Millar
Detective Sergeant
Username: Lindsey

Post Number: 56
Posted on Monday, November 15, 2004 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Diana,

This is going years back, but I still wonder whether Jack's lull wasn't because he got blood poisoning from cutting himself at Eddowes' murder.

Call me crazy.

Bestest,

Lyn

Diana
Inspector

Post Number: 349
Posted on Monday, November 15, 2004 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not crazy at all, Lyn, we discussed that very theory about 8 years ago.

Ken Proctor
Detective Sergeant
Username: Gizmo

Post Number: 60
Posted on Monday, November 15, 2004 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey everyone needs a vacation.why would jack be different.
"Hey Rookie----You were good" (Field Of Dreams)

Jeffrey Bloomfied
Inspector
Username: Mayerling

Post Number: 498
Posted on Monday, November 15, 2004 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I once suggested a crazy idea to my doctor but he just looked at me as though I was a nut and I dropped it. The idea is similar to the infection from an accidental cut. Mine was that the letter to George Lusk was true, that the Ripper ate half of that diseased kidney to show his character. Unfortunately the diseased kidney caused a bad intestinal reaction that almost killed him. When he was taken to the hospital (whichever it was) he was unable to explain what meat he ate that caused it (how could he, without revealing who he was). He barely survived, and (being the type of creep he was) he doesn't blame himself but the whores he kills. Full of pent up rage, he goes out on the first night he can (November 8, 1888), and (as ill luck has it) finds Mary Kelly - upon whom his rage is fully spent.

Well, it will do as well as any other possible explanation we have, give the paucity of our information.

Jeff

Lindsey Millar
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 57
Posted on Monday, November 15, 2004 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So, say Jack got bloodpoison from a cut maybe at Eddowes' murder?

Bestest,

Lyn

Lindsey Millar
Detective Sergeant

Post Number: 60
Posted on Monday, November 15, 2004 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Diana,

Was it really that long ago?? The years are getting away with me!

Bestest,

Lyn

Christopher T George
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chrisg

Post Number: 1089
Posted on Tuesday, November 16, 2004 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Lyn and Diana

I don't think the blood poisoning discussion was as long as eight years ago. I believe (although the mind plays tricks) I have only been on this site since 1998, six years ago, and the first U.S. Ripper convention was Spring 2000. I would venture to say that discussion took place around 1999 or so, five years ago.

All the best

Chris
Christopher T. George
North American Editor
Ripperologist
http://www.ripperologist.info

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chris

Post Number: 1548
Posted on Tuesday, November 16, 2004 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Five victims, four murder dates, three lengths in between murder dates
The intervals are (in CLEAR days between)

1)Between Nichols and Chapman - 7 days
2)Between Chapman and the "double event" - 21 days
3) between the "double event" and Kelly murder - 39 days

It may be narrowing the possibilities to assume that external events forced on Jack the timetable that the murders took. It seems to me that two other aspects may have played just as important a point - namely, inclination and opportunity. Who can know (or would want to!) what inner motives drove jack to kill when he did? If the killings and mutilations were prompted by the demons of some inner compulsion, maybe the extent or, in his terms, the "success" of each venture may have stilled those voices inisde him for while. It may not be coincidence that the longest gap followd the glut of the double event.
Chris

Richard Brian Nunweek
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Richardn

Post Number: 1133
Posted on Tuesday, November 16, 2004 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris,
I have heard of the 39 before, must be a coincedence?......
Richard.

Dan Norder
Inspector
Username: Dannorder

Post Number: 363
Posted on Tuesday, November 16, 2004 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris (Scott),

There are lots of ways to represent those numbers to try to wring significance out of them. One is a straight look at the days between murders. Another might be to note that the interval between nights of murders tripled between Chapman and Stride/Eddowes but didn't even double between Stride/Eddowes and Kelly.

And if we go by the inclination notion, perhaps it would be more telling to list:

Nichols (no organs) to next killing: 7 days
Chapman (got uterus) to next killing: 21 days
Stride (no organs) to next killing: same night
Eddowes (got uterus and kidney) to next killing: 39 days
MJK (got heart and carnage beyond belief) to next killing: ???

But then there are lots of different ways to frame the same information to advance different theories.

Dan Norder, editor, Ripper Notes

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chris

Post Number: 1552
Posted on Wednesday, November 17, 2004 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Dan
I agree and I was listing the intervals to show that, in my opinion, there is no signifivance to be wrung from them and no theory to be advanced just on the basis of the timing of the murders.
I was just saying that some theories place too much emphasis on external events such as those listed in the first post in this thread rather then the unknowable internal mental processes that drove the killer or the simply random workings of opportunity
All the best
Chris

Diana
Inspector

Post Number: 353
Posted on Wednesday, November 17, 2004 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Eight years was a wild guess on my part which is why I qualified it with an "about". It was on the old boards and I believe involved input from some doctors, (Dr. Ind?).

Dan Norder
Inspector
Username: Dannorder

Post Number: 366
Posted on Wednesday, November 17, 2004 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Chris,

Yes, I got your intention, sorry if I was unclear on that.

To go along with your point, how do we know that Jack wasn't out once a week chatting up prostitutes to try to set one up for a kill and mutilation, only to not find a solid opportunity? Or perhaps Jack was wondering around aimlessly making time with prostitutes when he could until one happened to make fun of him or otherwise set him off?

Whether Jack was well organized or disorganized and striking when already in a particular situation there could be a substantial amount of pure randomness in the dates.

And, since it sort of came up, that inherent randomness means that to assume he specifically picked those nights and only those nights to kill on (for whichever theory that'd be, "39" or "40" -- was it 40 that Scott Medine was using? -- Mason meetings, specific saints' days, or whatever) and then actually succeeding on every night he tried suggests a level of control that even the most organized killer would have been quite hard-pressed to accomplish.

Dan Norder, editor, Ripper Notes

Andrew Spallek
Chief Inspector
Username: Aspallek

Post Number: 624
Posted on Thursday, November 18, 2004 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I suppose we will never know the reason for this long interval. I believe the simplest suggestion is that the killer became terrified after almost being caught twice on the night of the double murder. This caused him to "lay low" for over a month and to abandon altogether outdoor killings.

Andy S.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.