Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Family links Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Family links « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chris Scott
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Chris

Post Number: 1540
Posted on Monday, November 15, 2004 - 11:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I know we have all heard/read stories of purported family links to suspects or policemen involved on the case.

I was browsing one of the boards on an author/writing related site when I found a thread from an author researching a fictional work on Jack. One of the replies caught my eye. It was posted 8 August 2004:

"I've been fascinated by Jack ever sice I was a child, as my cousins' great uncle was a police inspector on the case. My cousins have letters purporting to be from Jack (written in blood, we used to think, but I guess it's red ink!) and I remember seeing an "victim's ear" in a tobacco tin, back in the late 50s - tho' my old aunt now denies all knowledge of it! Sorry, it's not my story to tell but The Complete History of Jack the Ripper by Philip Sugden (Robinson, 1994) is pretty informative, as are the others mentioned above. Patricia Cornwall's Portrait of a Killer is, IMHO, cr*p, and not very readable either."

The author is simply referred to as "Dorritt."

Anyone wishing to see the whole thread can find it at:
http://www.ukauthors.com/phorum/read.php?f=15&i=594&t=594

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Apwolf

Post Number: 1498
Posted on Monday, November 15, 2004 - 5:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well I don't know Chris.
Personally I put a slice of apple in my tobacco tin to keep the tobacco fresh, but if I must put a whore's ear in there, then I'll give it a go.

Dan Norder
Inspector
Username: Dannorder

Post Number: 360
Posted on Monday, November 15, 2004 - 11:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Interesting bit on the ear... Like with all these stories, there is probably a bit of distorted memory going on. In this case the fact that the aunt never heard of what you'd think would be the most interesting part seems to indicate that one or both of them were quite confused.

And, speaking of confused, some of the theories listed on that page by others are doosies... They got your standard Freemason conspiracists, Cornwell followers, and so forth, but this is the first time I've seen someone seriously try to advance Sir Charles Warren as the Ripper. I mean, I'd heard that others had in the past, but to see someone actually say it, wow.

Dan Norder, editor, Ripper Notes

Bubba King
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 10:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mz Cornwall has correctly identified the author of the "genuine Ripper Letter".
My only digression would be the Savage Nature of the murders indicates non-British personality,and,
the fact he was never caught suggests a white man. A savage and white man. AMERICAN MALE.
I submit "Saucy Jack" was actually two men. One,the artist identified genetically by Mz Cornwall. The other,Fulton Maybrick,an American living in London's East End at the time. I'm aware certain persons have "debunked" Maybrick's diary. I suggest you go-over your facts and conclusions.
The "Ripper's" murderous means suggest a man with an highly-repressed homosexual nature. Not likely an Englishman. Much more likely an American.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.