Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Suspicious Incident at Deptford Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Suspicious Incident at Deptford « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Philip James Bortfield
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, November 13, 2004 - 8:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all
After being directed to the London Times of the 10th September 1888 from the recent e-bay watch thread my interest was aroused by the report at the bottom of the page of a suspicious incident at Deptford .This was the first time I had read this account and my attention was drawn to the fact that the suspicious character who excitedly asked for a newspaper bears a striking similarity to the individual who asked Emily Marsh for Lusks address.My question is .. has this been noticed before? and is there any more information on who this person was? The Times goes on to mention an arrest at Deptford ..is this the same man? are there any more details .The location of the shop where this person asked for a copy of the "evening special" could be significant it was opposite the entrance to the Foreign cattle market .By the way after reading several Jtr books over the years and the casebook I believe the killer was a as yet unnamed individual ...this is my first time posting...please be kind
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Joan Taylor
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, February 07, 2005 - 12:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't think it's significant, Phil. Gentlemen dressed very similarly in that era, and there was great enthusiasm about the news, such that mere interest was sufficient to bring suspicion down on one's head. ( See the basis for the case against Sickert.)
But, keep up the attitude. It's just that sort of innovative seeking for clues that previous experts haven't noticed that can spark the beginning of a new theory. The thing is to read everything - (I'm afraid.) People are constantly coming up with new insights that have never been seen before.
Why not you? :-)

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.