Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Clothing Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Clothing « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Keara Megann
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, October 06, 2004 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello, my name is Keara, and I'm doing some research on Jack for a project. I was wondering if anyone knew of any links, photos, or costume renderings of Victorian Prostitute clothing, so I will have a costume to work with. I know the general style of the Victorian Era, I just don't know if the prostitutes would be wearing something the noble women would be. Thanks a lot!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Phil Hill
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, December 08, 2004 - 7:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As I have said on another thread, my understanding is that clothing tended to pass down a chain starting with better off people and ending with rags.

The poor in the 1880's East End could have bought cast-offs from second hand clothing stores or flea markets; or received hand-outs from churches, missions and workhouses.

In the Victorian period many servants were given a new suit of clothes/dress each year. Their old ones would then have been worn for occasions when they needed to be less smart, but I suppose they might have passed on even older suits/dresses to less-fortunate friends or family members.

Cloth and stitching was generally more durable than today, so clothes could have lasted a long time and passed through many hands.

I would assume that the victims of JtR would not have been fashionably dressed. There is a sketch of Eddowes' body which shows her clothing quite clearly.

Underwear was NOT worn (the eddowes sketch shows this, but many layers of petticoats etc were - in the case of East End ladies of the night, for warmth as much as anything else I think. But would discount bustles and crinolines - though dresses might have been CUT to accommodate these.

It was a common practice for women to decorate older clothes with ribbons or braid. This might add colour or revive a worn and dingy dress and could have been quite cheap. Bonnets and hats were often decorated at home in a similar way.

MJK is reputed to have worn cross-over shawls, so some knitting may have been done, if these were not secondhand too.

Aprons were common, and I would take this to refer to quite large and enveloping garments that covered most of the dress and bodice, much as worn by female domestic staff, but there may well have been many variations.

Finally, as the Eddowes' saga confirms, boots (rather than shoes) would have been a major concern - both seeking the best available within cost/ saving up for new ones, or ekeing out the life of old ones.

Oh! and bonnets. Both Nichols and Coles had acquired new bonnets (at least to them) shortly before their deaths. Note how proud Polly was of her's, and that Coles had retained both old and new.

Hope this helps

Phil

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.