Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Her eyes looked queer Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Her eyes looked queer « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Richard Brian Nunweek
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Richardn

Post Number: 1024
Posted on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 4:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
I have seemed to have come across as a person who seems to have been the only one to have heard a certain radio programme early seventies, I also read a passage quote' Her eyes looked queer, as if she was suffering from a heavy cold' unquote.
I read this in 73/74. but to date no one can verify this, it is a reference to Mrs maxwell and her interrogation by the police.
so could someone on this site of ours please clarify where this quote came from, i quoted it to Colin Wilson when i had a lengthly correspondence to him during that time.
For if it was a reference made by Maxwell, then it runs alongside Hutchinsons' Oh I have lost my hankerchief' which would suggest that both parties were telling the truth, for obvious reasons.
And if so there would be no doubt Kelly was killed after 815am that morning.
I always believed that this quotation came from either McCormack, or L Matters, but I could be wrong.
Regards Richard,

Richard Brian Nunweek
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1025
Posted on Thursday, August 26, 2004 - 4:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
Sorry for starting a thread, that no one can answer?, I happen to believe that if these words were stated by maxwell, then it could alter the history books.
I believe that somewhere along the years, part of Maxwells account has gone missing, but was evident at the time this mysterious book was written.
Richard.

Simon Owen
Detective Sergeant
Username: Simonowen

Post Number: 98
Posted on Thursday, August 26, 2004 - 5:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does it come from a newspaper account ?

Thomas C. Wescott
Inspector
Username: Tom_wescott

Post Number: 156
Posted on Thursday, August 26, 2004 - 11:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello all,

I can't see how it would alter history. If such a quote was made, it may have been published at the time. Almost certainly, Mrs. Maxwell was telling her story to all who would listen in the neighborhood, and it's important to remember that Hutchinson didn't come forward until a few days after the murders. He may have heard her tale and injected that part into his story. You must admit the image of Kelly and 'the Ripper' suddenly stopping so Kelly can ask for a handkerchief she doesn't need, seems rather forced. I just wanna know if they found a handkerchief in the pocket of her dress.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

AIP
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 3:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

From The Identity of Jack the Ripper by Donald McCormick, Arrow Books paperback, 1971, page 236 -

"Mrs. Maxwell in her statement admitted she had 'only spoken to Kelly twice' previously; she could not have been able to identify her all that easily. Also she agreed that Kelly was 'all muffled up, as though she had a cold'; this would suggest that the 'woman' she had seen was trying to disguise her features."

CB
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 12:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Richard,

If it was Kelly that maxwell saw then Kelly could have just been hungover. She had been drinking that morning. Did maxwell claim that Kelly also claimed to be suffering from the horrors of drink?

Hi Tom,

I am not sure about this since I do not carry a hanky. Is it uncommon for a gentleman to ask for his hankechief back after offering it to a lady.? every once in a while a lady will offer to keep it and clean it for the man but since we are dealing with a prostitute and a women that the man was not planning on seeing again he may have just asked for it back. Some hankechiefs I believe are monograhmed. He may have not wanted her to keep it. Why force if you Hutchinson by adding the Hanky story. The ripper did allow kelly to undress so he may have just stopped and given Kelly his Hankerchief.

Take care,CB

Ben Holme
Police Constable
Username: Benh

Post Number: 7
Posted on Saturday, August 27, 2005 - 2:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I somehow can't envisage a fastidiously-attired Mr. Astrakhan offering his nice red hanky for a prostitute to soil.

I believe that this dapper gentleman was nothing more than a paint-by-numbers amalgamation of previous witness descriptions, strung together like pearls by George Hutchinson in an effort to deflect suspicion away from himself. Lawende had, after all, seen a man with a red neckerchief at Mitre Square.

Richard Brian Nunweek
Assistant Commissioner

Post Number: 1442
Posted on Sunday, August 28, 2005 - 3:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
I am glad this thread has been mentioined again, I Would like to repeat my opinions.
Firstly.
The original quotation was 'Her eyes looked queer as if she was suffering from a heavy cold' not 'All muffled up as if she had a cold' although it states the same scenerio.
This was obviously part of Maxwells original statement which has gone missing since those quotations were printed.
The reason why it is of importance is simply this.
Hutchinson claims 'Kelly around 215am on the morning of the 9th November said'Oh I have lost my hankerchief' to which she is handed one.
This would strongly indicate she reqired the use of one for the obvious ie to blow her nose.
According to medical reports kelly departs from this world around that time, however at 815am maxwell claims to have spoken to her, and besides all the chit-chat mentions about her appearence looked like 'she was with cold'
That would corresponde with GH Statement.
point therefore is Two independant witnesses that were not in collusion with each other mentions a point that has connection, which would indicate a possibility that both were being truthful, therefore placing kellys death after the maxwell sighting.
Thatis what the significance is and why i judge it to be important.
Regards Richard.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.