Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Teenager? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Teenager? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Diana
Inspector
Username: Diana

Post Number: 273
Posted on Tuesday, May 11, 2004 - 10:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yesterday I stumbled onto the history of Jesse Pomeroy. He lived in Boston in the 1870s. He started his career at age 12. He would abduct a younger child, get them to a secluded location and then maim and torture them horribly, but leave them (barely) alive. After doing this five or six times he was caught and sent to reform school. After less than 2 years he was released. Within a matter of months he had two more victims, only this time the torture culminated in death. Jesse was 14 when he was sent away for life. Here's where you can read about his career: http://www.crimelibrary.com/serial_killers/history/pomeroy/3.html?sect=6
It struck me that with one exception all of Jack's victims were pretty debilitated physically. A 14 year old boy, if big enough could have subdued them. If Kelly was asleep when attacked and then despatched quickly that might also be feasable.
A teenager would have been ignored because nobody would have believed it.
I didnt believe it until I read about Pomeroy.
Theres nobody more cruel than a child.

Helge Samuelsen
Inspector
Username: Helge

Post Number: 202
Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 4:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Diana, if we ever solve the mystery of who was Jack, then one of your theories are bound to be true, there are so many :-)

The first thing to asess would be if it would be considered strange or out of place that a teenager accosted prostitutes. If so, (and to some extent even if not so) this guy would really stand out as a sore thumb on the night streets.

And the prostitutes themselves would more than likely have chatted about that.

Secondly, I cannot help think that whoever Jack was, then he must have been rather strong. Remember the strangling?

What this story tells us, though, is that Jack probably also showed abnormal behavior prior to his SK "career".

Helge
A little inaccuracy sometimes saves a ton of explanation.

Stanley D. Reid
Inspector
Username: Sreid

Post Number: 244
Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 5:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

I've always wondered if Jack was teenager. That would explain why the victims were not threatened by him. In fact, a man named Clarence Simm, who died in 1951, confessed committing the murders while a teenager to his wife before he expired, that is, according to her.

Best wishes,

Stan

Glenn G. Lauritz Andersson
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Glenna

Post Number: 3885
Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 5:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think this is a very interesting theory.

I don't see the strength issue as a problem (hey Helge!), because I don't believe the way the victims were smothered, to to demand that much strength - as I see it, if they were strangled that hard, there would be clearer marks from fingers or from the scarves (whatever that was used) - it is mostly a matter of method rather than strength.
But it'd had to be a teenager that was rather tall. Of course. if he was 16 -- 18, this would not necessarily be a problem. And young man in this age can be rather strong too.

What might be more problematic are the mutilations, but then again, there exists cases where severe disorganised mutilations has been inflicted by young man around 18 or slightly below.

All the best
G. Andersson, writer/crime historian
Sweden

The Swedes are the men That Will not be Blamed for Nothing

Frank van Oploo
Chief Inspector
Username: Franko

Post Number: 715
Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 8:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Diana & guys,

Whilst the mutilations might partly have been the result of curiosity about the female body and as such might would imply a young man, an older teenager perhaps, to me there seem to be indications that the perpetrator was relatively in control of himself and the situation, pointing to some maturity.

But an interesting story, Diane - thanks for posting.

All the best,
Frank
"There's gotta be a lot of reasons why I shouldn't shoot you, but right now I can't think of one."

- Clint Eastwood, in 'The Rookie' (1990)

Helge Samuelsen
Inspector
Username: Helge

Post Number: 206
Posted on Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 4:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glenn,

Ok, maybe you are right. But I was not necessarily implying a great deal of strenght was actually needed. I think some strenght is needed to PSYCHOLOGICALLY think one can do that kind of thing. And if it was done without strenght, then it also implies a pretty well evolved technique, IMO.

Actually I know some psychology (not criminal, I admit). But often what stops us from doing certain things (not necessarily involving crime), is the doubt that we actually CAN do it.

But, come to think about it, back then life was hard, and who knows what experiences led to a youngster (possibly) evolving this skill?

But again. No eye witnesses ever talked about someone that young in the vicinity of any murders. So, basically it is pure speculation.

I tend to agree with Frank, it all points to some maturity to me.

But then, I could be wrong ;)

Helge
A little inaccuracy sometimes saves a ton of explanation.

AP Wolf
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Apwolf

Post Number: 2377
Posted on Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 5:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What about a maturer individual who thought he was a teenager?
Someone who might on being left a veritable fortune spend it on sticky buns?
Or someone who could stab women in the buttocks then claim it couldn't be he as he read about someone else in the newspapers who did that sort of thing?
Someone who sketched women in indecent posture; and wrote naughty letters to people in authority?
Someone who spent hours looking in the mirror to see who he was, as all teenagers do.

Actually I did find this teenager, from 1886, who was an accomplished robber, and a dab hand with the knife if he was caught; and he was involved in all manner of elaborate stings and robberies in private houses... and you know what his gainful employment was when he was not robbing houses?
Vet's assistant in Lambeth.
Must see if I can't find him again.
Probably just another teenage dirt-bag.

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 4765
Posted on Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 6:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all

I think that Mayhew has a reference to boys going with women of 60.

But that aside, surely any male of puberty age would have had experience of prostitutes - if only through being robbed by one! They'd have been sitting ducks.

Robert

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.