Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Help with a New Theory Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Help with a New Theory « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jerry Maynard
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is just an idea and I admit I need more research but I am working on a new theory. I would like to know if anyone knows about any possible connection between R. D'Onston any of the other suspects. Im particularly interested in possible connections (letters, living close by,
same social circles etc) with Kosminski, Tumblety
, and Druitt. Does any one know if Donston had any
vistors during his stay at the London Hospital?
Has any of his occult aquaintances ever consdered
as a JTR suspect. I appreciate any info anyone has. I would like to see if this theory im thinking of might hold water. Thanks

David Knott
Sergeant
Username: Dknott

Post Number: 37
Posted on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 5:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jerry,

I'm not aware of any connections between other suspects and D'Onston ... except of course his own suspect Morgan Davies. Investigating his occult acquaintances is an excellent idea however. I firmly believe that D'Onston was a romantic Jacobite - as were most occultists, magicians, Templars and Scottish Rites masons at the time. My particular reason for believing this, apart from the circles he moved in, was his use of the forename Roslyn. Adopting famous Scottish names in this manner was quite a common practice amongst Jacobites at this time, for example S L Mathers, magician and co-founder of the Golden Dawn adopted the name MacGregor.
What is interesting is that the Jacobites, who believed in a sacred and divine bloodline, may have had reason to despise Sir Charles Warren, who had previously led a Hanoverian sponsored excavation under Temple Mount and may have obtained religious artefacts that the Templars etc. would have believed to be rightfully Stuart.
Also, 1888 was the bicentenary of the Stuarts being deposed. The Order of the White Rose had planned a Stuart exhibition in London, but this was undermined by Hanoverian agents, so some of the more fanatical members might have felt the need to express their anger with an exhibition of their own. The leader of the White Rose was a Templar, Lord Ashburnham, who was known to have got involved in some crazy schemes in the name of Jacobitism. It is known that D'Onston visited Brighton before he went to Whitechapel, and this is not far from Ashburnham's residence. I would love to be able to prove a link between those two.
Anyway, good luck with your research - I strongly believe that D'Onston was involved but that he may not have been acting alone.

David

John Savage
Inspector
Username: Johnsavage

Post Number: 182
Posted on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Jerry,

Lewis Carroll has been suggested as a possible suspect and may have met Donston.

As you will know Donston was born in Charles street Hull, just around the corner was Charlotte Street were Carroll's grandparents lived, and it seems he visited them there on many occassions. Also a relative of these grandparents called Lutwidge worked for H.M. Customs at Hull.

Not much to go on I admit, but it is all I can offer.

Best Regards
John Savage

David Knott
Sergeant
Username: Dknott

Post Number: 38
Posted on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jerry,

If I'm right about the reasons for D'Onston using the name Roslyn, then how about this for a link. Walter Sickert's mentor Whistler was a member of the Order of the White Rose.
I don't think for a second that Sickert and D'Onston were in it together, but there's an outside chance that Sickert's tale, which is essentially anti-Hanoverian, emanated from Whistler.

David

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3072
Posted on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There's a link between Sickert and Donston via the publisher Grant Richards. He was a close acquaintance of Sickert if I remember correctly (see: Memories of a Misspent Youth by G. Richards), and Richards was also Donston's publisher. According to Melvin Harris (again from memory) Richards was also the last person to see Donston alive.
Stephen P. Ryder, Exec. Editor
Casebook: Jack the Ripper

Jeffrey Bloomfied
Inspector
Username: Mayerling

Post Number: 343
Posted on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Although it is a questionable book, the Lewis Carroll is the Ripper volume LIGHT HEARTED FRIEND had a bit of information that Carroll (in his normal role of Rev. Dodgson at Oxford) may have once had a visit from Druitt. There was a record of him meeting a visitor with a name like Monty's in the late 1870s.

Jeff

Jerry Maynard
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, April 30, 2004 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I want to say thanks everyone for the info you gave. The theory im working out is that Donston
had planned the murders but ordered someone else to do it. To me, Donston appears to be type of evil person that manipulate or brainwash others kill. Doesnt he remind anyone of Charles Manson,
Jim Jones, and David Koresh? The type of person to
control others. He is very much into the occult
and alot of these cults or cult leaders can make weaker minded people kill themselves or others. He
did seem to have some control over Mabel Collins and tried to influence others who JTR is. It does not seem far fetched at all he could somehow have
one of the other suspects (Im looking into all the suspects but im thinking Druitt and Kosminski
because they seem to be easily controled by Donston). He could have told him/them where, when
and how to kill. He may have even assisted them
(two men spotted at the Stride murder).
Well anyway thats my idea. Again thanks for your help

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.