Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

John Langan, arrested October 1888 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » John Langan, arrested October 1888 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Andrew Gable
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The suspects page isn't accepting any new topics, so I'll stick this here. ;)

Anybody else agree this guy may deserve more looking into than he was given? In the description of the Langan arrest in Evans' and Skinner's Ultimate Jack The Ripper Companion, it's stated that one of the address he gave for one of his previous trips to England was "staying with Mrs. Davis in Merthyr [Tydfil, I assume]". Interesting, given that Mary Jane Davies was there in 1881, no?

Of course, it's equally interesting that the Kelly family in Yorkshire had a small child named James Langan living with them.

Just to refresh anyone's memory, Langan was the guy arrested for vagrancy in France, Boulogne I believe, and later questioned by Scotland Yard after the French police thought he resembled some of the descriptions of Jack.

Paul Williams
Sergeant
Username: Wehrwulf

Post Number: 37
Posted on Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Some more tracing on John Langan would be useful. James Langan was born in Halifax in September 1877 and the name is probably no more than coincidence.

Andrew Gable
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, September 27, 2004 - 1:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

On a few genealogy sites, I've found reference to a John Langan of Scranton PA, born 1860 in either Pennsylvania or Ireland. His wife was named Bridget Moran.

This may not be him though, of course. Ideally, I'd like to get to France sometime and try to track down the arrest records (assuming any would still exist).

Other searches of the web also indicate that the Hotel Brunswick (or at least a place with that name), the possible MJK's place of employment, is a still operational pub in Merthyr Tydfil.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.