Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
About the Casebook

Search:

Join the Chat Room!

Please Help! Need Information On East... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Edit Profile

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Message Boards » General Discussion » Please Help! Need Information On East End Murder Rates « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Eric Skinner
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Everyone,
I have a question and I apologize in advance if it's one that is common knowledge. In his interview on this site, Donald Rumbelow says that the murder rate in the East End was around one per year and that murder was not common. Not that I would doubt Rumbelow's word, I mean, he's Donald Rumbelow, but does anyone else have information on this? I've told several people this and have basically been told that I don't know what I'm talking about. Thanks in advance for your help.
Eric Skinner

Brad McGinnis
Inspector
Username: Brad

Post Number: 162
Posted on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 11:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Eric, The East End was a rough place but murder didnt happen often. It was a community like any other, but it derived its reputation mainly from those who lived outside it. I suggest you read "People of the Abyss" by Jack London and also check some of the statistics posted here by Chris Scott, our resident research maven. In 1887 there were NO knife murders in WC. This alone makes me believe that two knife wielding killers in a single quarter square mile is unlikely. Enjoy the site, if its worth knowing...its here. Brad

Eric Skinner
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Brad,
Thanks very much for the feedback. I'll check out the person you mentioned and pass this along to the people I've been chatting with about the case. You're right, this site is a treasure trove. Thanks again,
Eric

Leanne Perry
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Leanne

Post Number: 1279
Posted on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

G'day Eric,

The only statistic list of deaths that I've seen, say that there were no homicides in Whitechapel during the year 1887. There was alot of disease and accidental death.

LEANNE

Eric Skinner
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Leanne,
Much appreciated. It's amazing that there was no murder in that area for a whole year. Thanks again.
Eric

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 2312
Posted on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Eric

This came up before. I'm only going from hazy memory here, but I've an idea it turned out that there were murders, but as these were not committed by Whitechapel residents as opposed to outsiders, the figures became distorted.

The info may be somewhere under "General Discussion - General Discussion Archive 2003". I can't seem to open it up.

Robert

Andy and Sue Parlour
Detective Sergeant
Username: Tenbells

Post Number: 113
Posted on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Rob,
During the research for our book, surprisngly murder was uncommon in the East End, although plenty of deaths were recorded. Most of the deaths were put down to accidental reasons or natural causes. I genuinely believe these reasons were given as a cover, so as not to expose the Police and authorities incompetence in not being able to solve most of them as criminal acts.

AS

Stephen P. Ryder
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3039
Posted on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Alex Chisholm has been kind enough to send along an article on this very topic, for inclusion on the Casebook. You can now find it online at: http://casebook.org/dissertations/dst-statistical.html

Thanks again Alex!
Stephen P. Ryder, Editor
Casebook: Jack the Ripper

Robert Charles Linford
Assistant Commissioner
Username: Robert

Post Number: 2331
Posted on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Alex and Stephen. Very interesting article, Alex.

So as Andy says, it may not have been so murder-free after all.

Robert

Eric Skinner
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My sincere thanks to everyone who responded and helped me out. I really appreciate it.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Register now! Administration

Use of these message boards implies agreement and consent to our Terms of Use. The views expressed here in no way reflect the views of the owners and operators of Casebook: Jack the Ripper.
Our old message board content (45,000+ messages) is no longer available online, but a complete archive is available on the Casebook At Home Edition, for 19.99 (US) plus shipping. The "At Home" Edition works just like the real web site, but with absolutely no advertisements. You can browse it anywhere - in the car, on the plane, on your front porch - without ever needing to hook up to an internet connection. Click here to buy the Casebook At Home Edition.